Stressed? Molting? Sick!?!?? Please Help

Livy

Dec 23, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Dee (Dedede)
My Budgie has been pretty irritable for the past week, I just re-entered school (every second day for 5 hours) and I let him out from the second I get home till around 7-8pm every night. I'm not sure if he is molting, or because of the sudden change is lonely or stressed, he will be super calm and chilling then squawking and chirping (angrily) Im not sure what to do or what it even is! He's around 4 months old now and any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• wdawdad.jpg
    wdawdad.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 89

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Is fluffed? Looks fluffed.
Keep his cage away from cold windows and cold outer walls.

It is not normal to look this when molt, none of my budgies do. It looks like over preening, and that is pretty rare in a budgies . So the first thoughs is it a health issue? A check out by avain vet is best thing to do.

To keep track of weight is always a good thing to do in birds. A digital kitchen gram scale. And put him in a box to weigh. Put the box on scale first and zero out.

But if is fluffed abd with feathers off a vet visit us best place to start
https://www.littlecrittersvet.com/sick-birds.pml

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Fully agree with my good friend above. Birds are so very good at hiding an illness and commonly the early signs are small to moderate changes, like their body weight and feathering.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I'd get him to an avian vet for all of the reasons above. Stress does lower their immune systems significantly, so if you returning to school has been stressful, it's possible that the behavior change is actually coming from illness that just had an easier time taking hold due to stress (or it could just be coincidence that he happened to get sick around the same time, if he is sick).

OP
L

Livy

Dec 23, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Dee (Dedede)
Okay I'll try to arrange a vet visit (lockdown has a lot of vets closed) I keep the house warm as its cold out atm. He does tend to preen himself quite a bit, but he never plucks his feathers or anything, I've noticed when he preens sometimes "fluff" comes out but I had first thought it was molting. He's not pulling them out on purpose just when he's cleaning himself. (usually on his belly which is why its a greyish color)

Just booked his appointment for tomorrow!
($100+HST for the entry fee... I'll go cry myself to sleep now)

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Welcome to the money hemorrhaging club lol! I know..it's not funny, but it sort of is in a depressing way

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Livy,
I know its expensive, and hopefully it's behavior. But when there is chance they are sick and dies so easy, it's the right thing to do.

Most won't do blood work on one so tiny. But a fecal gram stain can tell you a lot.

Shedding the little fluff feathers is normal and almost constant in budgies. But over preening till feathers are grey is not. Or being patchy.

Because he is so young and they are so social. I might putt a mini stuffed critter, and zip tie tightly to bars near were he likes to sit. As a pretend buddy, temporary...but nothing you can easily pull if mini threads.. ots an idea, might help..

Keep us updated. Provide warmth. Milet spray is good to temp extra eating.

Last edited:
OP
L

Livy

Dec 23, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Dee (Dedede)
I'm planning on buying another bird (cockatiel) in the future but will be in the process of moving houses in the near future (in 4-5 months) and wanted to wait until after moving because I didn't want to move it again right after getting him acclimated. I'm hopeful my eventual bird will be a good buddy for Dee, but am prepared if thats not the case. I will also make sure to keep you guys updated on Dee's recovery and thanks so much. He's been such a blessing in life and although I overreact a lot this time it was worth the worry so thanks everyone <3

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
I'm planning on buying another bird (cockatiel) in the future but will be in the process of moving houses in the near future (in 4-5 months) and wanted to wait until after moving because I didn't want to move it again right after getting him acclimated. I'm hopeful my eventual bird will be a good buddy for Dee, but am prepared if thats not the case. I will also make sure to keep you guys updated on Dee's recovery and thanks so much. He's been such a blessing in life and although I overreact a lot this time it was worth the worry so thanks everyone <3

If you do, know that they may not get along at all, or become obsessed with ,mating (both of which, are problematic).....Unless you could handle another on its own, I'd suggest that you not get another (never buy a bird for a bird)

Last edited:
OP
L

Livy

Dec 23, 2020
Canada
Parrots
Dee (Dedede)
***UPDATE***

Dee is okay! Apparently because he is not getting enough nutrition (been trying to convert him over to pellets to no avail) Me and the vet have set up a new strategy to get him to eat his Veggies and pellets! I'm also going to be using a vitamin supplement until he is regularly eating greens! Thanks so much for the help guys <3

Also! I was planning to buy another bird regardless, of course I'm hoping the birds get along. But I am also prepared and fully able if they don't!

Most Reactions