Sudden aggression from a formerly cuddly conure

Dandy

Feb 4, 2021
New York
Parrots
Dandy - 3 yr old GCC
Hi all,

I got Dandy, my green cheek conure, from a shelter about 8 months ago. They said he was around 2 years old, but didn't know his exact age, so I'm assuming he is around 3 years old now. Once he adjusted to me and my apartment, he was such a sweet and cuddly bird. Suddenly, he started being super aggressive and flies to attack me when I'm in the same room as him. My entire face and body are covered in bite marks. It's gotten so bad where I have had to keep him in his cage for most of the day, compared to before when he was out for 6-8 hours a day. I still try to interact with him from within his cage by doing some target training. Also, I try not to react to his bites at all and simply put him back in his cage for a time out, but one time I was having a terrible day and just kinda broke down.

I know birds go through hormonal periods, I just thought he was a bit old to be going through puberty. He also does have a lot of pin feathers right now (which he usually lets me help him with), so maybe is in a bit of discomfort right now? He eats Roudybrush maintenance pellets and fresh fruits and vegetables every day (although I've toyed around with the idea of removing fruit from his bowl and just using it as a treat). Nothing about my living situation has currently changed, so I'm just a bit confused and hoping this will pass soon.

Any tips of advice or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated! Thank y'all in advance!

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
To completely bastardize 101 Dalmations, "Puberty first, my dear, and THEN the annual spring hormones".

Welcome to spring! It just kinda sucks for a lot of people. Not a WHOLE lot you can do but ride it out. Research hormone control (reduce sugar intake form all sources including fruits and pellets; 12-14 hour sleeping days; no little happy huts/dark places, etc), and find hands off ways to interact like target trainning, stepping up to a stick/perch instead of your hand. These might be able to take the edge off the behavior, though wont' elinnimate it. Only time can do that.

So sorry you're dealing with this. A lot of us are going through it to some degree right now. This too shall pass, but you're in good company while it happens! Stick around and vent if you need it, lord knows we understand.

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Feb 4, 2021
New York
Parrots
Dandy - 3 yr old GCC
To completely bastardize 101 Dalmations, "Puberty first, my dear, and THEN the annual spring hormones".

Welcome to spring! It just kinda sucks for a lot of people. Not a WHOLE lot you can do but ride it out. Research hormone control (reduce sugar intake form all sources including fruits and pellets; 12-14 hour sleeping days; no little happy huts/dark places, etc), and find hands off ways to interact like target trainning, stepping up to a stick/perch instead of your hand. These might be able to take the edge off the behavior, though wont' elinnimate it. Only time can do that.

So sorry you're dealing with this. A lot of us are going through it to some degree right now. This too shall pass, but you're in good company while it happens! Stick around and vent if you need it, lord knows we understand.

Oh dang, I didn't know spring hormones could be this bad or start this early. Do you have any idea how long it typically lasts (I know it's probably different for each bird)? I just feel awful leaving him in his cage all day, but I just took him out for a tiny bit, and he flew at me twice, and I don't really know what else to do?

Thanks for your response! I'm currently looking into hormone controlling methods!

Last edited:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Depends on the species and the individual, maybe 3-6 weeks before it subsides? Maybe 8 weeks in some cases. But eventually it comes to an end and they settle down.

Its a time to be endured, for sure.

It'll also vary in intensity from year to year. For MANY of us, last year was HORRENDOUS. It began in october (fall hormone season, usually much milder), and it sustained through the spring, 6 MONTHS of nonstop hormones. Never seen anything like it, it was such a weird thing. But there are also years where there is barely a whisper of hormonal behavior.

Some years are just better than other. Some years are just worse than others.

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Hang in there he will return to a sweet little cuddler eventually. I despaired when I encountered Syd's first hormone madness. I ended up covered with long sleeves, hat or hood and gloves to save my skin.

Be careful that he knows you are his parent and not mistaking you for a potential mate. Don't touch him anywhere except his head. He sounds as if he doesn't know what to do with himself. Use a firm 'NO' when he bites and instead of his cage put him on the floor or somewhere neutral and ignore him completely until there is a change of attitude. It will pass.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
If he has any huts or tents or access to shadowy spaces, I'd get rid of them when he's not looking. They don't need them (even though they like them) because they are hormonal/nest-like in nature.

Pet on the head and neck only and make sure you aren't stroking him or wrapping him up, or letting him in bedding/blankets etc. --EDIT: TOOtsy said this already and I just realized but I agree with what was said above.

10-12 hours solid sleep nightly is also super important for immune health and hormones (which influence mood/behavior/aggression )

The thing is though- when he is "cuddly" again, don't truly cuddle him, because that is what often leads to amped up hormonal spells and undesired behavior.

Also- don't kiss on the mouth or let him eat from your mouth (yuck, but yes, people do this sometimes). Even sharing food with human saliva on a fork is dangerous but lip-kissing etc is dangerous for health but can also mimic regurgitation/mating behavior.

Last edited:
OP
Dandy

Dandy

Feb 4, 2021
New York
Parrots
Dandy - 3 yr old GCC
Hang in there he will return to a sweet little cuddler eventually. I despaired when I encountered Syd's first hormone madness. I ended up covered with long sleeves, hat or hood and gloves to save my skin.

I had to turn down the heat in my apartment so I could wear a sweater today! It makes me feel a lot better knowing I'm not the only person who has gone through this!

OP
Dandy

Dandy

Feb 4, 2021
New York
Parrots
Dandy - 3 yr old GCC
If he has any huts or tents or access to shadowy spaces, I'd get rid of them when he's not looking. They don't need them (even though they like them) because they are hormonal/nest-like in nature.

Pet on the head and neck only and make sure you aren't stroking him or wrapping him up, or letting him in bedding/blankets etc. --EDIT: TOOtsy said this already and I just realized but I agree with what was said above.

10-12 hours solid sleep nightly is also super important for immune health and hormones (which influence mood/behavior/aggression )

The thing is though- when he is "cuddly" again, don't truly cuddle him, because that is what often leads to amped up hormonal spells and undesired behavior.

Also- don't kiss on the mouth or let him eat from your mouth (yuck, but yes, people do this sometimes). Even sharing food with human saliva on a fork is dangerous but lip-kissing etc is dangerous for health but can also mimic regurgitation/mating behavior.

Oooh I thought I had been pretty good about everything - I only give him scratches on the head, he has no happy huts, and he gets about 12 hours of sleep a night, but he does enjoy digging himself tunnels in my blanket! I hadn't even thought about that being detrimental for hormones. Thank you!

Most Reactions