Sudden Disinterest

Akula00

Feb 2, 2022
Parrots
Indian Ringneck, Lovebird and Budgie + Finches
Hello everyone. I am the proud owner of Chief: a green IRN.

I got him back in December and after receiving some help here, training seemed to have been going smoothly, that was until this week.

After a week of patchy training, he has gone from taking food from my fingers, and placing one foot on my hand to pluck clusters of millet... to being completely cold to me.

He won't eat from a millet sprig without fleeing to high ground after taking some, he won't go anywhere near my hand anymore now, and he shuffles away/flies away from me often if I get a little too close to the bars too quickly.

Can someone perhaps share some tips? Should I take a different approach to training from now on?

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
My parrot shop owner told me the problem with IRNs is gaining trust, I literally asked him about IRNs and it took him 8 months to build it. Some birds like my new babies it can be too much for some it has to take time but every bird is going to trust at some point.

Don't loose hope it's a game of attrition.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi! Welcome to you and chief! Great name!

Sometimes there are set backs. It can happen years in when something causes loss of trust or sudden fear. Just keeping working at it.

This has some good info

Most Reactions