Sudden Fear of Fingers

Tsuki_theconure

Sep 18, 2018
Australia
Parrots
Crimson bellied Conure - Tsuki (Hatched 16th July 2018)
Okay so I'm kind of worried about Tsuki, tonight he just suddenly developed a fear of fingers and won't let me scritch his cheeks anymore without flapping his wings and chirping rather loudly. I'm confused on what happened. I haven't hurt him at all. What's happened?
:confused:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
How old is your bird?
How long have you had it?
Does anyone else handle the bird?
Has it been checked by a vet?
Did you adopt or buy?

It is hard to answer without at least some of that information.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
You may not have hurt him but perhaps Tsuki perceives fingers as a threat.

Birds are extraordinarily keen observers of their environment. Might be something as simple as fingernail polish, a piece of jewelry on fingers or a watch on wrist.

OP
Tsuki_theconure

Tsuki_theconure

Sep 18, 2018
Australia
Parrots
How old is your bird?
How long have you had it?
Does anyone else handle the bird?
Has it been checked by a vet?
Did you adopt or buy?

It is hard to answer without at least some of that information.
My bird is only 2 months old.
I cared for him since he was a hatchling. I would go to the breeder every weekend to feed and nurture him to start the bond from a young age.
Yes, my father handles him whenever he comes over. Same with my sister.
Yes he has been checked by a vet.
I bought him from a breeder once he was old enough.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
He’s pretty young, so I wonder if something just spooked him. Sometimes just takes a few days to re-settle after a spook. Also, is he getting in any new feathers in? Those can be quite sensitive and make them a bit leery about having their face touched. Just shooting ideas out :)

OP
Tsuki_theconure

Tsuki_theconure

Sep 18, 2018
Australia
Parrots
He’s pretty young, so I wonder if something just spooked him. Sometimes just takes a few days to re-settle after a spook. Also, is he getting in any new feathers in? Those can be quite sensitive and make them a bit leery about having their face touched. Just shooting ideas out :)
He doesn't seem to have any new feathers just yet. I think I may see a small area of them just under his cheek but I've never scratched him there. Another strange thing that I found out this morning is that he'll enjoy me given his scritches around his head and neck when I just nuzzle him with my nose but if I put my fingers anywhere near his head he'll flip. He'll step up onto my finger, so I wonder if he's intimidated by them.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
It really doesn’t sound like he’s afraid of you, especially if he steps up on the fingers without issue. I’d just give him time, and keep nuzzling him with your nose :)

OP
Tsuki_theconure

Tsuki_theconure

Sep 18, 2018
Australia
Parrots
It really doesn’t sound like he’s afraid of you, especially if he steps up on the fingers without issue. I’d just give him time, and keep nuzzling him with your nose :)
Alright, thanks for your advice :)

EllenD

Aug 20, 2016
State College, PA
Parrots
Senegal Parrot named "Kane"; Yellow-Sided Green Cheek Conure named "Bowie"; Blue Quaker Parrot named "Lita Ford"; Cockatiel named "Duff"; 8 American/English Budgie Hybrids; Ringneck Dove named "Dylan"
Does he have a bunch of pin-feathers coming in? At his age he's probably got all kinds of feathers coming in, and new, young pin-feathers hurt quite a bit when they are touched; they only become itchy and irritating to them once the sheath around them dries out, and that's when they want you to help them break-up the dried sheath and allow the new feather to come out...But up until that happens, if you touch new or young pin feathers, it hurts them, and they will definitely let you know it!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Birds can be quirky creatures... I had a conure that was "okay" (as in, tentatively okay, but not *really* okay) with getting head scritches when I first got her, but could not step up onto hands! I did manage to get her to the point where she was okay stepping up onto hands, but then she'd make a mad dash for my shoulder, where she felt safest. She also had an odd behavior at first where if I approached her cage, she would scamper away in fear, but when I walked away, she'd attempt to follow me - without actually leaving her cage.

If you can figure out what's causing the behavior, that may help, but it's not always possible. If that's the case, then you just need to figure out how to reinforce being able to pet her without scaring her. Treats may help!

Most Reactions

Latest posts