Sudden inexplicable rejection of pellets

AmyK

Aug 31, 2022
Parrots
Dixie, a peachfaced lovebird
My elderly lovebird Dixie suddenly stopped eating both her pellets and the ground-up pellets I put in a separate bowl (she has trouble chewing on occasion, so this is our workaround) a week and a half ago. It's not that she's not hungry, because she'll eat groats and millet, but no pellets; if there are no alternatives, she won't eat, or will run around trying to eat fallen millet. Dixie was eating pellets from the same bag days prior to stopping, and it's the same brand she's eaten her whole life. I tried a freshly opened bag, and nothing, and tried a different brand of pellets and that's also a nope. I've seen her jump to her food dish, look in, and jump off again repeatedly, so she's looking for something, but what?! I talked to the vet last week, and she was as flummoxed as I am. Any ideas about what's going on?

Potentially pertinent info: Dixie has seizures/strokes, which have become more frequent recently. They affect her right foot/leg, but maybe are doing something else now...?

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I don't know if it would be the same in parrots, but in dogs and cats seizures OR old age can change their taste sensation. Maybe the pellets don't taste quite the same to her? Is there any fruit that she likes? If so maybe you could try mashing up some fruit in the pellets or putting a little juice on them?

Most Reactions

Latest posts