Suddenly obsessed chewing skin on my hand

Ashilde

Jul 23, 2019
This has manifested maybe in the last two 1/2 weeks. I make sure my birb (canary wing parakeet, working his way to 5 yrs old) has no shortage of toys (shredders, sola balls, foraging toys, vine balls, loofa, etc.) but as of late he does not really play with them. If I get him to step up on my finger, he will immediately start preening the top of my hand. If I don't stop him, he will "preen" it until welts form and its made me bleed a few times. It's not aggressive biting at all, he is trying to be gentle, but there's not really anything to preen. I will try to redirect his attention to a toy or his perch, but the only thing that will distract him is a favorite treat and even then it is temporary. Usually the distraction only lasts a small while and then he will crawl back to my hand and start again. I've tried putting on gloves, which deters him, but then he'll go looking for other bare skin (ex. the top of my foot). He has even started this same obsession with my boyfriend's hands as well. Does anyone have an idea what is with the sudden obsession? Also when I try to use toys as a distraction (I offer them in his peripheral and am not pushy about it), he gets petulant and will grab it and throw it away as if in a tantrum and then goes back to preening. I've made an appointment with the vet for a checkup, but trying to see if anyone has experience with this in the interim.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
Welcome to the forums! If this started suddenly I wonder if it could be hormone related. Is he showing any signs of hormonal or nesting behavior?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Start using the "Shunning" method to deter biting, which this could escalate to.
Every time he over preens, put him on a handy chair back, turn you back to him for a minute. A few dozen repetitions will get the message across. BeeBee parrots certainly can throw tantrums, well known for it. Cute in such a tiny bird, but you want to nip his in the bud.

OP
Ashilde

Ashilde

Jul 23, 2019
Welcome to the forums! If this started suddenly I wonder if it could be hormone related. Is he showing any signs of hormonal or nesting behavior?
Other than maybe some lunging and nipping here and there and being possessive of his cage (but he's kind of always been that way) I can't think of any signs.

OP
Ashilde

Ashilde

Jul 23, 2019
Start using the "Shunning" method to deter biting, which this could escalate to.
Every time he over preens, put him on a handy chair back, turn you back to him for a minute. A few dozen repetitions will get the message across. BeeBee parrots certainly can throw tantrums, well known for it. Cute in such a tiny bird, but you want to nip his in the bud.
I will definitely be more consistent about this. Usually when I try this he is super stubborn and will fly/waddle back to me immediately and he doesn't get the message after the 10th time and I will get tired of doing it before he does. He is the most persistent creature I know! :p

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
With flighted parrots, shunning IS difficult, because as you said, they just fly back to you. If yours has not fledged yet, a chair back means he cant climb down and waddle over.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
And BeeBees are also noted for being ridiculously stubborn, to the point of comedy. I should know , I had one!

Most Reactions