Suggestions for Bird Adoption

Mar 19, 2021
Hey there!
I recently moved to Tampa, Florida and was thinking about getting a parrot. I do have tons of free time to take care of a bird and spend time with one. However, I am very skeptical about places to get a parrot. My dream bird is an Eclectus. My family had a Blue Fronted Amazon who passed away almost a year ago, we do want another bird. Does anyone know of any trustworthy locations near Tampa? I have seen some shops have about 4 star ratings but I always put the bad ratings above the good ones and keep seeing that birds have been dying within a week of owning them. I may or may not get a parrot, but just to keep the possibility open if anyone knows a good place please let me know. Thank you!

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Greetings, and welcome!

I can't help you with any specifics, but... may I just commend you on your interest in preparation and outreach? I love that open-mindedness and carefulness.

You found a great site, and I hope you stick with us as you move forward!!!

9lhIlM0.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
May have to cast a wide net to locate suitable bird! Resources include shelters, rescues, breeders, want ads, avian veterinarian practices, (folks often post ads) local bird clubs, word of mouth. I'll save Craig's List for last, often a wild, unregulated mixed basket of offers. You'll have to determine what constitutes reasonable drive radius, then focus within.

Good luck, feel free to share potential sources and we'll do our best to help assess!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The greatest error made regarding the health of a new Parrot in one's home is to not see an Avian Medical Professional within hours of bringing a Parrot home!!

Also, allow the Parrot to choose you will help greatly. Far too many individuals want a specific Parrot, and never take into consideration whether the Parrot has any interest in them.

Most Reactions

Latest posts