Suitable cage size for my green cheek conure

clydend0r

Jul 1, 2021
I recently wanted a green cheek conure and while doing research I found out that suitable GCC cage sizes are 24 inch square. But I couldn't find one, the biggest I could find was 46 cm length* 46 cm width* 87 cm height. Is this cage size suitable for green cheek conures?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Too small, I think. Rule of thumb is getting the biggest one you can find/ afford, as long as the bar spacing is suitable for the parrot. Too wide a spacing and their head can get stuck.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
As said, way too small! My JoJo has a separate cage for sleeping that is larger! Just watch bar spacing! 1/2 inch is optimal, 5/8 inch is the limit!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
Syd has an enormous cage, the biggest I could get without getting the bar spacing too big. When he first had it he was a bit non-plussed but within a couple of hours he loved it. He also has a sleep cage which is quite a bit bigger than the one you mention.

When I got him at 14 weeks he was a rescue, the cage he had was 30" square and I realised very quickly that it was far too small. They are very active birds so need space for themselves and plenty of toys to keep them occupied when in their cages. If you leave them to go to work then the bigger the better.

Oh and try to get horizontal bars at least on some sides as they love to climb and it is easier on their feet.

CallumConure

Apr 10, 2019
Central Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Callum- GCC Hatchday: October 15th, 2016
(nonparrot friends include rats, a dog, and a few reptiles :))
I'm looking for a suitable cage too. I found this (link is way too long, so I'm just gonna attach it to the word) cage secondhand. It's larger than Callum's current cage. Only thing that has me concerned is the bar spacing is a little wider than I'd like. I'm not against looking for a new, larger cage. I just want one that is it's own stand and is easier to clean. His current one is a pain to clean.

Skarila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
2021 Parrot of the Year 🏆
Apr 19, 2021
Media
Albums
Hungary
Parrots
✻Csillam the rescued budgie
✻Pascal the Emma's (Venezuelan) Conure

Previous owned:
✻Archibald the cockatiel (fostered 6 months)
✻RIP - 28 YO Zeleni the mischievous IRN
✻RIP -Sunny the budgie
Too small. As other mentioned, conures are extremely active. I got an inhouse aviary (or a huge cage, depends how you see) for a good price in Hungary. It is available in Germany as well (from a store called Fressnapf). It is 185 cm tall, 120cm wide and 80cm deep I think. It's a huuuuge thing. It is made as an aviary for small birds like budgies as the bar spacing is only 1cm, but Pascal is tiny conure so it's perfect for him. I can tell you, he is using the whooole thing. When he is closed, he can easily fly from one side to another.
Another thing to see when buying cages is to see if you can rather buy wider than taller. Such cages you can put on a stand with shelves or something.
If you're located in Europe I could help you further in finding a more suitable cage.

CallumConure

Apr 10, 2019
Central Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Too small. As other mentioned, conures are extremely active. I got an inhouse aviary (or a huge cage, depends how you see) for a good price in Hungary. It is available in Germany as well (from a store called Fressnapf). It is 185 cm tall, 120cm wide and 80cm deep I think. It's a huuuuge thing. It is made as an aviary for small birds like budgies as the bar spacing is only 1cm, but Pascal is tiny conure so it's perfect for him. I can tell you, he is using the whooole thing. When he is closed, he can easily fly from one side to another.
Another thing to see when buying cages is to see if you can rather buy wider than taller. Such cages you can put on a stand with shelves or something.
If you're located in Europe I could help you further in finding a more suitable cage.
Nah, I'm in America, so while those cages sound awesome, I can't get them. Shipping would be astronomical. And I'm not comfortable shipping a large cage across the pond in case of damages or something.

What are appropriate cage dimensions for a GCC? Everything I had read was somewhere along 25" x 25" x 30" (roughly 64cm x 64cm x 76cm). Callum's cage is only used for bedtime or if I've got to leave the house. Otherwise he's out of his cage all day.

I've heard 24 square inches thrown around, but I'm not entirely sure how you'd get that number. Googling "how to measure square inches" gets me things for hamster cages. Which... isn't gonna work for a bird lol :D

Last edited:

Cardinal

Jul 1, 2014
India
Parrots
Currently I have none, but I have the capacity to adopt a minimum and maximum of two budgies - preferably a bonded pair or two males.
Can't you get it custom made by a local blacksmith. That is what I recommend in India because most pet shop cages are bird unfriendly.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I'm looking for a suitable cage too. I found this (link is way too long, so I'm just gonna attach it to the word) cage secondhand. It's larger than Callum's current cage. Only thing that has me concerned is the bar spacing is a little wider than I'd like. I'm not against looking for a new, larger cage. I just want one that is it's own stand and is easier to clean. His current one is a pain to clean.

The bar spacing on this one looks okay for a conure - it says it is 0.6? which I would be comfortable with.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I recently wanted a green cheek conure and while doing research I found out that suitable GCC cage sizes are 24 inch square. But I couldn't find one, the biggest I could find was 46 cm length* 46 cm width* 87 cm height. Is this cage size suitable for green cheek conures?

Where are you located? If you can let us know what country you are in, we likely have members who can provide some links.

CallumConure

Apr 10, 2019
Central Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Jexnell - That cage is a big contender for me then. The only thing I don't like is the lack of a little informal stand on top. Callum spends a lot of time on the top of his cage. But I'll definitely keep that one in mind.

Cardinal - I'll definitely think about asking any blacksmiths around me, but I also don't know any around me.

Jen5200 - I read that 0.68" was the maximum for bar spacing. That was my only real concern with the bar spacing.

IndySE

May 5, 2016
Southern California
Parrots
Kermit, ♀ GCC (Green Demon)
When I first got Kermit, I got a cage like this
link

The size is good. My bird is lazy so she didn't use every inch of it, but I think it's better to have a giant cage like this. you can really put a lot of toys in it :) Word of caution, the build quality probably isn't the best - the bars were a bit flimsy, and after 5 years the cage started to rust (so I upgraded to a very nice stainless steel cage) - but I wouldn't expect a conure's beak to bend the bars or anything.

IndigoLioness

Jul 16, 2021
Idaho
Parrots
Idris - Yellowsided Turquoise Green Cheek Conure - Hatch Date: May 1st, 2021
We just got a GCC and have this cage from Amazon, just put it together yesterday. The dimensions are 24x22x41 of usable space plus a play area on top. The directions to put it together are the worst I have ever seen, but the cage is wonderful.

Most Reactions

Latest posts