Sulfur Crested Cockatoo's Behavior

edbrid209

Dec 31, 2019
I took in a sulfur Crested cockatoo in May 2019, She was supposedly abused by a male cockatoo during breeding, we found out that she was at least 20 years old and that she was probably somebody's pet due to she talks some, she is afraid of hands. She was doing really good till lately, me and my husband went out of town and my son took care of her, she was out and was spent time with everyday, when we got home she turned against us, she bit my husband twice drawing blood, and she screaming and doing the intimidation dance, she is rubbing her beak along the cage and lunging at us when we go by. she will let me pet her then she would jump back. I am not understanding what happened. anyone have any ideas or things we should do, I thought she was just throwing a temper tantrum because we left but it is not going away and its been 5 days.

ParrotGenie

Jan 10, 2019
Indiana
Parrots
2 umbrella Cockatoos One male named Cooper and female named Baby 1 Little Corella male named Frankie and have 5 Cockatiels three named Male named Pepper, Fiesco for the female and female named Wylie.
I took in a sulfur Crested cockatoo in May 2019, She was supposedly abused by a male cockatoo during breeding, we found out that she was at least 20 years old and that she was probably somebody's pet due to she talks some, she is afraid of hands. She was doing really good till lately, me and my husband went out of town and my son took care of her, she was out and was spent time with everyday, when we got home she turned against us, she bit my husband twice drawing blood, and she screaming and doing the intimidation dance, she is rubbing her beak along the cage and lunging at us when we go by. she will let me pet her then she would jump back. I am not understanding what happened. anyone have any ideas or things we should do, I thought she was just throwing a temper tantrum because we left but it is not going away and its been 5 days.

It is nesting season, she likely hormonal and she may have bonded to your son as a mate. Birds do tend to do that and reason why never pet one below the head as they like being petted under wring and etc, or cuddle them as is consider foreplay to them. My female U2 get aggressive during this time and use to lunge and bite during nesting season, but over time worked out the behavior issues over time and no longer a problem, plus she has a mate my male U2 Cooper now. Plus sometimes if not well socialize they tend to bond to one person strongly and will get aggressive and defend is anyone else come near. There is way to work out the behavior issues, but don't have time to write it out now as only have a few minutes break leftover. Likely someone else will link, or write it out before I do?

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Don't put yourself in the situation where you have to react to the lunges etc--- the reactions can easily fuel the behavior (even though it is important not to disregard their communication)...

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
It is a few months, but in general, cockatoos are extremely hormonal and can be triggered all year. For the rest of your bird's life there should be no petting anywhere other than the head and neck...no snuggles...Just keep it very cordial (all of the aforementioned behavior is total sex to a cockatoo)...I know they "want" cuddles, but it leads them on and results in problem behaviors/resentment from the bird.

Also--- no dark spaces/shadowy caves....this is HUGE...in or outside the cage (tents/huts/clothes/pillows/drawers/under furniture/hollows/piles etc)<----very triggering for them (even though they seek them out).

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Most likely hormonal behavior, might also be transference of the bond to your son. Is he still around; can you compare the bird's demeanor vs you and husband?

Most Reactions