Sulpher crested cokatoo Perth Australia

plastermaster

Sep 1, 2012
Hi Everybody, I have a sulpher crested cockatoo. He is 2 years of age. I have been his new owner for 2 months now. He is a lively happy chap all the time. This morning I put him in his cage and went away for a few hours and he now refuses to eat drink move off his perth. I spoke to his previous owner this morning and he has never done this before. He is normally bounding out of the cage when the door opens to be taken in to the house to his play pen. He refuses to come out. Has any owners, came across this type of behaviour, do they takes moods like this? I am giving 24hrs and then taking him to a bird vet. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Tony:greenyellow:

lene1949

Sep 26, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Parrots
Cory: Short billed Corella -
Echo: Galah -
Max: Alexandrine -
Skye: Yellow Sided conure -
Luka: Green Cheek Conure -
RIP Shrek: Quaker
Maybe he had a party, while you were gone?

He's housed outside? Are his wings clipped?

bumblebec

Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
Parrots
Lola the Sun Conure & Mimi the Nanday Conure
If he's not eating or drinking and acting strange, I think a trip to the vet is in order. I'd be worried about the not eating or drinking part.

melissasparrots

Feb 15, 2012
Iowa
Parrots
Greater Sulfur Crest Ariel
Goffin's Cassie
Cosmo Hyacinth
Diva, Gremlin, Sprout, Ellie and Oscar Yellow Naped Amazons
Daffy, Mama and Papa Quakers
Linnie the lineolated
+5 parrotlets
Look around the room and make sure you haven't done anything he would think of as scary. Such as moving or adding furiture, adding a new scary toy or perch to the cage, changing your hair, wearing red or black for the first time, changing nail polish.
If he just isn't eating or drinking period, then its probably an issue for the vet. If everything is the same as its always been and he's not eating or drinking just when your in the room, then I'd be inclined to think he's afraid of you.

Some birds will take some minor percieved scary thing and associate it with the person they love the most. It can be very heart breaking. If your sure its not physical and he's only like this when you or other people are around, then I would handle it by just not pushing him to do anything. You might think coming out is a good thing. If he's afraid, forcing him to come out will just teach him that your untrustworthy and that you'll likely make him do something aweful. Fear isn't always logical. I'd leave the cage door open and generally play hard to get. Stop by his cage a few times a day and talk to him or offer affection. If he's frightened, don't don't push or force it. Give him opportunities to come out or come to you, but don't force him. And if he does come to you, make sure he also can get away from you of his own free will, whenever he wants. With fear behavior, usually if they do come to you, its best to end the interaction before they become afraid again. So playing hard to get is good. Leave them wanting more, and they will slowly come out of their shell more and more seeking affection. Irrational fear behavior like that can take a long time to overcome. Just never be tempted to force, even if months down the road you still don't feel like you've made any progress.

Most Reactions

Latest posts