Sun Conure advice

ChrisChantler

Nov 28, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure
Hey everyone i'm seeking some advice about my very much loved Sun Conure Yoko. Yoko is a 6 year old Female we have had her since she was a baby. When we first brought her home we was unsure of her sex until one sunny morning we discovered an egg in her cage! She later laid another two eggs which we left in the cage and gradually removed them one by one after a few weeks.

We have done a lot of research online and tried many methods to try and stop her from Laying eggs. last year we only had one lot of eggs by tricking her into thinking its permanently winter. We do this by putting her to bed everyone evening at 18:30 and waking her around 08:00. We have two cages for our Girl, a day cage and a night cage so she can sleep in peace over night. The Problem is this year she has seemed to have become wise to our trick! we had one set of eggs in march followed by another set back in September and it now appears she is going to lay another set.

Food wise we feed her fresh fruit and veg everyday and she also has a very small amount of seeds in the morning! We have read that egg laying is quite a stress on a bird and with this being the 3rd lot this year we are very concerned. So if anyone could give us any advice to try to discourage her from laying more eggs we would be very great full.

If all else fails we will try to seek veterinary advice.

Many Thanks in advance.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Does she have access to any nest spots? Dark corners, in or under furniture, a happy hut?
How much fruit and what kind does she get? When birds are hormonal it's best to limit their fruit intake as much as you can.
Especially fruits like mango, banana, grapes, oranges, and pomegranates.
For extra calcium while she's laying (I do this for my birds once a week) you can grate cuttlebone or powdered egg shells onto her veg. Also offer more dark leafy greens for calcium.
Some foods help with hormone relief, you can buy avian teas or you can buy bulk organic flowers from Amazon, a good place is FGOrganics. Good ones to use are chamomile, marigold, hibiscus, and rosehips. If your bird won't drink the tea or eat the flowers out of the tea you could grind them into powder then sprinkle them on her food.

All I can think of right now, hope this helps 😊

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Also limit petting, even on the head, and consider giving her less attention in general.

This is one thing my vet suggested I do with Lucy Quaker when she had peritonitis related to egg production and resorption.

Lucy’s case was so dangerous that she got Lupron injections for some months as well as a change to the apron around her cage so it would be less shadowy.

Tough choices—you love your bird but shes (her body is) confused about what your platonic love means.

Most Reactions