Sun conure bald near tip of eye

MMT123

Feb 27, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
He is about 10 months old now. He has been very healthy and lively since he was brought home, and he is still the same now, but he has always had a bad habit of scratching his face with his hands. In the feathering stage, the underside and sides of the two eyes are slightly convex. Compared with the bare skin near the middle of the eyes, the area where the hair is shed is rougher, but our veterinarian said that there is nothing wrong with it, and I still I'm a little worried, so I'm asking everyone here
IMG_1887.HEIC.JPG
IMG_1888.HEIC.JPG
IMG_1884.HEIC.JPG

OP
M

MMT123

Feb 27, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
I just took a piece of dead skin off his bald spot

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It is very possible that your Parrot is molting body /head feathers and has lost a couple around the eye. Commonly, what we are concerned about around the eye is the feathers being wet from sinus drainage, which can be a precursor to a sinus infection.

I hope that this helps!

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
He sure is a cutie! Does he bathe in water, or let you mist him? I wonder if it might help as new feathers come in. I haven't had a conure, but my ringneck's face looked like a horror movie when he went through a big molt last summer.

OP
M

MMT123

Feb 27, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
It is very possible that your Parrot is molting body /head feathers and has lost a couple around the eye. Commonly, what we are concerned about around the eye is the feathers being wet from sinus drainage, which can be a precursor to a sinus infection.

I hope that this helps!
Thank u! He sneezes occasionally, but doesn't wet his feathers

OP
M

MMT123

Feb 27, 2023
Parrots
sun conure
He sure is a cutie! Does he bathe in water, or let you mist him? I wonder if it might help as new feathers come in. I haven't had a conure, but my ringneck's face looked like a horror movie when he went through a big molt last summer.
Thank u! I also have a 5 year old GCC and she doesn't look like this when she moults but is spread out evenly everywhere and both birds like to bathe in the water basin

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
He is about 10 months old now. He has been very healthy and lively since he was brought home, and he is still the same now, but he has always had a bad habit of scratching his face with his hands. In the feathering stage, the underside and sides of the two eyes are slightly convex. Compared with the bare skin near the middle of the eyes, the area where the hair is shed is rougher, but our veterinarian said that there is nothing wrong with it, and I still I'm a little worried, so I'm asking everyone hereView attachment 47917View attachment 47918View attachment 47919
I have to say that this is the first time I have ever seen a parrot literally "picking his nose"!

Most Reactions

Latest posts