eliana.matt

Aug 24, 2022
Parrots
Sun Conure- Gilly
English Budgie0- Spice
Hey, I'm looking for some advice on my sun conure Gilly.
I think he has separation anxiety or some sort of extreme bond to me, as when I am not home he will call for me non-stop as if he is in a panic. I do spend a lot of time with him, he is essentially out with me all the time when I am at home, but obviously, I do have to go out on occasion. When he is out with me I play with him, cuddle with him, give him baths, etc to ensure he is stimulated/ tired out but this seems to achieve nothing.

I have tried giving him various foraging options, his favorite treats, toys, music, and radio. Even having him in a busy area like the living room, nothing will distract nor calm him down until he sees me. I live with my parents and brother and this is starting to annoy them, as it would, and I am worried I will have to look into rehoming him unless I can come up with a solution. Getting another conure is not an option, and although my mum does take him out on occasion, he is my pet, and not of much interest to my family.

Any advice would be very much appreciated, as I am desperate at this point.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Start to develop a call back to him, called a contct call. In the wild, parrots will utter these to their flock, kind of like a "WHere are You?" and await a call back "I'm here and OK, are you OK?". Its going to take some time to get him used to not continously call for you but once he recognizes your contact call back, he should calm down. My amazon did this for awhile until I was told about contact calls. It WILL take tme but should work.

Briburd

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 25, 2021
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Mojito the green cheek conure
I second the flock call. Mojito and I say PEEP lol for him it’s more of a normal high pitched whistle PEEP but for me I just say a high pitched drawn out PEEP and we peep back to each other from the other room. Have others in the house do it too, they are after all part of the flock and it will help while you are away. My husband can actually whistle the high pitch peep so that’s his version of our flock call. I’d say it took Mojito about a month to fully adjust and settle with the flock call. He will peep back and forth with me on end sometimes but it’s much better than frantic squawking and pacing about in his cage. Good luck.

Most Reactions