Sun Conure Progress & Molting

bettietheripper

May 3, 2014
Media
SoCal
Parrots
Sun Conure (Pipa), hatched 12/31/13
Pipa will be 5 months old on 6/30, and is in full molting, which means extra biting, screaming, and pinching.

I try to pet her where I see pin feathers and give her baths, but she currently seems to dislike it all. She looks all messy, her feathers are ruffled and a little damaged. I am hoping this is within the normal molting behavior? What other things can I do to ease up her aggressive behavior? :confused:

:orange:

Last edited:

Abomination

Jun 11, 2014
As far as molting goes, being that young it may be its first time I'm guessing, and its something completely new to her, as far as easing it through, I'd say a reasonable amount of space in that aspect, or at least no petting near the pin feathers, or at least ease into the process of helping her prune if she allows it soon enough!

OP
bettietheripper

bettietheripper

May 3, 2014
Media
SoCal
Parrots
Well, I still have people telling me she is a jenday because she's got blue tail feathers and blue ends on her wings, but her body is slowly becoming more yellow, and her back is totally speckled with yellow as well. I have also been told she could be a sunjay hybrid? I really don't know. This is her lately:

She has also learned to imitate my kissing sounds, as well as "step up", which she constantly repeats when I enforce it when she bites! She's more keen to bathing, but still refuses to eat veggies (except peas and sometimes corn -- she hates carrots.)

As far as molting goes, being that young it may be its first time I'm guessing, and its something completely new to her, as far as easing it through, I'd say a reasonable amount of space in that aspect, or at least no petting near the pin feathers, or at least ease into the process of helping her prune if she allows it soon enough!

Last edited:

OneHorseRanch

May 25, 2014
California
Parrots
One Green Cheek Conure, Sheldon. Hatch date: 7/27/13
Cute bird! I love the half blink pic. Sheldon molted at about the same age. Very pissy to say the least. Glad we got through that. I tried to help but when I'd catch those pin feathers wrong he surly would let me know. He's coming on a year so now I'm waiting for the next phase of life.

OP
bettietheripper

bettietheripper

May 3, 2014
Media
SoCal
Parrots
I'm. It looking forward to that next stage either haha. Does yours keep losing tail feathers? Pipa can't seem to keep any intact or on her.

MrsKay

Jun 23, 2014
Media
Southern California
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure (Larry)
Canary (Norman)
Pipa is a very pretty bird :)
My Larry is 4 months tomorrow (7/15)
I think he is beginning to molt. He takes lots of baths and I see a few smallish feathers around his cage area. Lots of preening. He is a bit nippier than he has been lately.
Are these signs of molting I am describing?

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Pipa looks beautiful! :) I do see the yellow Sun colors now! Doesn't mean she's a hybrid, I think suns also have the blue on the wings and tail. I'm glad she's becoming a sweetheart too! Thanks for the update :)

BoomBoom

May 2, 2012
Parrots
Boomer (Sun Conure 9 yrs), Pewpew (Budgie 5 yrs), Ulap (Budgie 2 yrs), Eight & Kiki (Beloved Budgies, RIP)
Very cute bird!

OP
bettietheripper

bettietheripper

May 3, 2014
Media
SoCal
Parrots
Mrs. Kay -- Those symptoms are what Pipa went through, plus some super moody and nippy attitudes atop it. Now she's still somewhat nippy but she's back to her cute self.

Raven -- I thought she was a sun too, but you wouldn't believe all the people on Instagram that swear she isn't...but her back and wings say otherwise to me.

Boom -- thank you :)

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
6 yr old Sun Conure (Ducati)
He looks like a Sun to me. Just needs a couple more moltings for his yellow and orange to really come through. Here's a picture of Ducati (a Sun)
1908382_1024680850892424_3680791033499762143_n.jpg

I don't know if it's too far to see but he does have some blue on his primaries and his tail.

OP
bettietheripper

bettietheripper

May 3, 2014
Media
SoCal
Parrots
She definitely looks like a Sun to me. I've explained to the people who say she isn't why and they still come up with like 15 different reasons for why she's a hybrid, etc etc. She's having her first vet check up next week. Any advice on what to ask or look for?

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
We have our first vet visit next week too lol. Honestly my knowledge comes from googling and pinteresting sun conures lol. 60 for the visit and another 55 for beak and nail trim. I'm used to it being free for the dogs lol.

OP
bettietheripper

bettietheripper

May 3, 2014
Media
SoCal
Parrots
Haha that's the same price I am being charged. She will not be happy about this haha!

I have to give a triumphant update on Pipa: she now eats corn, peas and carrots! I'm just so excited!

OP
bettietheripper

bettietheripper

May 3, 2014
Media
SoCal
Parrots
Vet update:

Pipa is in great shape and good health. Her talons got trimmed, as they were too long and sharp. She weights 104 grams, so I guess I have to keep her snackage to a little less. The vet did point out that her tail feathers lacked, and I explained she breaks them when she attempts to fly.

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
Vet update:

Pipa is in great shape and good health. Her talons got trimmed, as they were too long and sharp. She weights 104 grams, so I guess I have to keep her snackage to a little less. The vet did point out that her tail feathers lacked, and I explained she breaks them when she attempts to fly.

104 grams is too heavy for a Sun Conure? Erik weighs over 120 grams. :confused:

OP
bettietheripper

bettietheripper

May 3, 2014
Media
SoCal
Parrots
Vet update:

Well, I always thought she looked more skinny than chubby. Then again, she's only 5 months old, but I digress...from what I read, a healthy weight is anywhere within 100-120g, so she SHOULD be fine. They suggested I feed her a little less, which I am confused about.

Have you taken your feathery baby to a vet?

Ducatimom

Jun 10, 2014
Media
Colorado Springs, CO
Parrots
I think it's different for every vet. I took our cat in when we first got him. Hooch had a heart murmur when he was a kitten and it took him longer than most to grow out of it (I guess it's common for kittens to have heart murmurs). The second time I took him in he still had his heart murmur but she was more concerned about the fact that he was .5 lbs overweght.

Frumpydumple

Apr 21, 2013
Durham, UK.
Parrots
My birds: Skyler/Sky, violet Indian Ringneck. Mother's birds: Norman, African Grey and Mildred, Blue Crowned Conure.
Vet update:

Well, I always thought she looked more skinny than chubby. Then again, she's only 5 months old, but I digress...from what I read, a healthy weight is anywhere within 100-120g, so she SHOULD be fine. They suggested I feed her a little less, which I am confused about.

Have you taken your feathery baby to a vet?

No, he is my mother's bird, she hasn't taken him to a vet yet.

He has always looked overweight to me (by the looks of his keel bone). He is a picky bird too, he's just started eating some pellets (still eating seed though) and he doesn't eat much fresh food.

OP
bettietheripper

bettietheripper

May 3, 2014
Media
SoCal
Parrots
Mine is picky too, but she loves her pellets and seeds. She loves fruit and is just learning to eat veggies. If your mom's birdie has "cleavage" then yes, he may be overweight.

Most Reactions