Sun conure weight

Alehner529

Dec 6, 2018
Northern Wisconsin
Parrots
Sun Conure
So I just weighed my female sun conure for the first time. She is almost 4 years old. She weighed 126 grams, or 4.37 ounces. So how are we doing? Does that seem like a good weight or a little high?
4febee68b1adfa5f053654de4a92a92b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
It’s more about body condition than actual weight I think. I have a really heavy GCC that doesn’t really have any fat on her (can feel her keel bone) - and some would say that she’s overweight based on the average weight for a GCC. I have 2 female suns that are 116 and 120 grams and are considered healthy by their vet :). She is adorable in that picture!

OP
Alehner529

Alehner529

Dec 6, 2018
Northern Wisconsin
Parrots
Sun Conure
Okay that's good to know. I can feel her keel bone (when she let's me poke her chest) so I thought she felt healthy but wanted to check. I'll weigh her every so often and see whether or no it fluctuates.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Shoegoo

Nov 3, 2014
My GCC tips the scale at 72 gms. Vet says its normal. GCC's are smaller and mine is petite.

Skittys_Daddy

Jan 6, 2014
Lewiston, Maine
Parrots
Neotropical Pigeon - "Skittles" (born 3/29/10)
Cockatiel - "Peaches" (1995-2015) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sammy"
(1989-2000) R.I.P.
Budgie - "Sandy"
(1987-1989) R.I.P.
The 'healthy weight range' of a sun conure is generally given as 100-120g. So by that standard, yes, yours would be considered overweight. However, there are many things to take into account. Including your vet. There are two avian vets where I take Skittles and his weight has always been in the 119g-122g. One vet has said hes underweight the other that he is overweight. I disagree with both.

The BEST way to tell if your sunnie is overweight is to take your thumb and index finger and rub down the front breastbone of your sunny. There should be VERY little between the front of the breastbone and the skin/feathers. GENTLY slide your fingers forward (as if rubbing both sides of the breastbone) and see how much 'muscle' shows up. There should be a small, healthy amount of muscle there but not too much. Tip: Do NOT try this while their crop is full. Lastly, Skittles is free-flighted, eats like pig, has only a small amount of muscle on each side and weighs 122g. He's about twice the size of an adult female cockatiel in terms of body frame.

Most Reactions