Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
Sunny is sick. I don't know what's wrong.

It started by just seeing vomit all over her face. I told my mom something is wrong, but she said to just keep an eye on it.
Sunny started to look very tired, and it almost looked as if she was having a hard time to breathe. This concerned me very much. She started to eat less, and when I felt her keelbone, it was very sharp. I felt her crop and it is empty.

Sunny will be seeing a vet ASAP.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
She is at least eating some seed now. But she wasn't eating veggies or pellets which she always eats.

Should I provide warmth?

It also appears that Sunny has diarrhea.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
20221030_173852.jpg

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I used the turquoise container because it is easy for her to drink from as it is low and she doesn't have to use a lot of effort.

Littleredbeak

May 27, 2020
I would turn the heat up but make sure it doesn't get stuffy. In the past I've used a space heater that was several years old, a bird radiant heat panel (tractor supply sells them for chickens and chick heating pads) and a heated perch.

My hospital cage is similiar to the one Sunny is using. When a button quail was egg bound I put the heating pad under the cage and took the grate out. The bottom of the cage was very warm and. Section did not have heating pad so she could get away from the heat if she became too hot.

How is sunny feeling now? When is her appointment?

If she doesn't like apples you can try watermelon or cantaloupe (these fruits will help provide water so she does not get dehydrated and sugar for energy.)

@Laurasea has recommended Apple sauce as it is like our version of Gatorade/pedialyte but for birds

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I'm sorry to hear this. I would make home warmer. I would only cover one side if cage. Because a dark cage will decrease their eating and activities.

Diarrhea is much more serious in birds. Definitely vet as soon as you can.

Great to offer millet, offer all that she will eat, seeds too if that what it takes.

I hope sunny recovers quickly

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I would turn the heat up but make sure it doesn't get stuffy. In the past I've used a space heater that was several years old, a bird radiant heat panel (tractor supply sells them for chickens and chick heating pads) and a heated perch.
Today isn't so cold, so I decided to cover one half of her cage
My hospital cage is similiar to the one Sunny is using. When a button quail was egg bound I put the heating pad under the cage and took the grate out. The bottom of the cage was very warm and. Section did not have heating pad so she could get away from the heat if she became too hot.

How is sunny feeling now? When is her appointment?
Today is her appointment. She is the same as yesterday.
If she doesn't like apples you can try watermelon or cantaloupe (these fruits will help provide water so she does not get dehydrated and sugar for energy.)

@Laurasea has recommended Apple sauce as it is like our version of Gatorade/pedialyte but for birds
I will give her some apple.

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I'm sorry to hear this. I would make home warmer. I would only cover one side if cage. Because a dark cage will decrease their eating and activities.
I covered the one half of the cage.
Diarrhea is much more serious in birds. Definitely vet as soon as you can.
I could tell it was diarrhea and not just watery poops.
Great to offer millet, offer all that she will eat, seeds too if that what it takes.

I hope sunny recovers quickly

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I noticed sunny had a tail bob. She usually has one(show budgies have breathing difficulties), but it looks a lot worse.

Her wings are also hanging, as if she doesn't have the power to pull them in.

She looks very tired. Usually when I uncover her, she will start moving around the cage, but she's just sitting in one place, eyes half closed. Looks like she's trying to keep herself awake.

She misses her flock, but I need to put her in her own cage in order to provide her with the special care she needs.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Bad news

Sunny might Hve diabetes. I was shocked to hear, almost cried. X-rays and blood test will be done. Will pick her up this evening.
I haven't ever seen diabetes in parrots. Just high glucose from stress. So I hope they test again. But I'm no expert, and it does happen. Does the vomiting and diarrhea support that diagnosis?

Excellent work in getting to the Veterinarian! And getting diagnostics!

Come on sweet Sunny pull through!

Excerpt:
"Diabetes mellitus (DM) is an uncommon disease of psittacines but is reported more commonly in toucans. It can be challenging to diagnose in birds. Normal glucose levels in birds are significantly higher than those in mammals (200–400 mg/dL). Birds often have a significant hyperglycemia with stress, which can occur when handled or restrained. Glucosuria can occur at 600 mg/dL in birds, so birds with a stress hyperglycemia can also have glucosuria without a diagnosis of DM. Therefore, for a diagnosis of DM in birds, hyperglycemia and glucosuria must be persistent and documented"

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
What i worry about when i hear V&D in a budgie is AGY

Digestive Disorders of Pet Birds - Bird Owners - Merck Veterinary Manual https://www.merckvetmanual.com/bird-owners/disorders-and-diseases-of-birds/digestive-disorders-of-pet-birds?query=Vomit and diarrhea in birds
Excerpt from merek vet manual: Avian Gastric Yeast (Macrorhabdosis)
Avian gastric yeast (Macrorhabdus ornithogaster) often colonizes the digestive tract of birds. It is more common in smaller companion birds such as budgerigars, parrotlets, lovebirds, cockatiels, and finches. Also, any birds that have weakened immune systems may be infected. The most common sign of infection is chronic weight loss, regurgitation, lethargy, and diarrhea. Droppings may contain undigested seeds or pellets. The percentage of deaths varies from 10 to 80% of affected birds, depending on the species and strain of the yeast. In birds that recover, both relapses and potential shedding of the organism in the droppings are likely.
Diagnosis is made by examining fresh droppings under the microscope. Positive identification of organisms aids the diagnosis, but organisms may be shed in low numbers or intermittently, so repeated evaluation may be needed. The goals of treatment are to reduce the number of organisms and improve the general health and immune status of the bird. Your veterinarian may prescribe various medications to achieve this goal. This disease can be transmitted between birds."

Amphoterson B treatment of choice for AGY

Last edited:
OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
I haven't ever seen diabetes in parrots. Just high glucose from stress. So I hope they test again. But I'm no expert, and it does happen. Does the vomiting and diarrhea support that diagnosis?
I'm not sure. She suspects that Sunny doesn't digest her food properly. The vet said she is doing Xrays to check for fungal infection.

I heard show budgies have a higher risk of diabetes.

The vet said she will give me a medication that I will need to orally give Sunny.
Excellent work in getting to the Veterinarian! And getting diagnostics!

Come on sweet Sunny pull through!
Thanks!

Excerpt:
"Diabetes mellitus (DM) is an uncommon disease of psittacines but is reported more commonly in toucans. It can be challenging to diagnose in birds. Normal glucose levels in birds are significantly higher than those in mammals (200–400 mg/dL). Birds often have a significant hyperglycemia with stress, which can occur when handled or restrained. Glucosuria can occur at 600 mg/dL in birds, so birds with a stress hyperglycemia can also have glucosuria without a diagnosis of DM. Therefore, for a diagnosis of DM in birds, hyperglycemia and glucosuria must be persistent and documented"
The vet said she will do a glucose test on Sunny

OP
BirdyBee

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
The vet said that Sunny can't have seeds, and can only eat pellets for now. Veggies like sweet potato, carrot, etc, should be avoided as well. I can only start feeding veggies like spinach when Sunny is doing OK.

Most Reactions

Latest posts