Super stressed about potentially having to move my conure internationally!

Starbuck47

Apr 8, 2021
Hi all,

I currently reside on the West Coast in the USA where my wife and I live with our pet Green Cheek Conure, Starbuck. There is a chance that we may have no choice but to relocate to the UK at the end of the year, so I'm trying to make preparations for her move with us, but the paperwork seems like a nightmare so I'm coming here for advice, hoping someone here has been through the process and can offer advice!

Starbuck is a healthy, 2 year old Green Cheek Conure who we bought quite young and we have a health record of. She's on appendix 2 of CITEs, being a green cheek conure so while i'm not 100% sure how to get that paperwork yet, I know its doable with appendix 2 birds. At this early stage I forsee a couple of complications:

1) She is too small (62g) to be microchipped
2) Her identification ring was removed after a year of owning her because it was causing her issues (she got it over her knee and we had to get a vet to remove it). No complications, but at the very least she'll need to be rebanded. Will that cause issues because I don't know how the numbering works? What traceability evidence can we provide to prove she's the same bird?

Does anyone recommend any pet relocation services that specialize in birds?

Yours stressfully!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I had to remove my GCC band for same reason. My vet preferred not to microchip her, . But she did add pictures as part if her record.

I know you can buy an open band that you can place on the bird if that is absolutely needed.

I don't have experience or advice. Whish I did

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The major issue for most people is they wait till the last minute and everything falls apart.

Number of places to start, but IHMO your Airline of choice is where you will want to start, just a couple of minutes behind your Avian Medical Professional!

- Airlines are going to provide you the most recent knowledge as to whether the UK is accepting Humans or Avians. Time of year will be another as there 'could be' temperature restrictions (too cold /too hot). Since they are the ones that could get stuck if there are changes, they keep on top of restrictions near weekly.

- Your Certified Avian Vet (CAV) is your source for identification and medical paperwork you will need. Start early, especially if you need to transfer medical files from a 'Vet' to a Certified Avian Vet. The combination of a well developed medical file and Purchase Documentation will solve your ownership paperwork! NOTE: Commonly 45 days but not less than 30 days prior to flight you will need to quarantine your Parrot in your home and your CAV will visit to verify health and issue a Certificate of Health prior to your flight!

Open rings are no longer accepted as proof of ownership as they are so easily placed or removed.

The UK paperwork (plus the Airline) is what you wish to follow.

- Get Your Vaccinations ASAP (Note: Some are showing issues, so look for a vaccination that has been trouble free). It is important to understand that you may need to also get a booster shot or a late fall, early spring re-vaccination. Things are in a flux, so understand you need to keep on top of this!

- Assure that the Passports are current and will be current during your time in England. NOTE: You will need that vaccination card to Safe Guard It!

Last edited:

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Your airline "may" allow her to be in a carrier that fits under the seat. Start checking with them. If yes, get and start putting your conure in it regularly, so she is not freaked out by being in there. 'Boats advice is great info to start from. Start searching for a Certified Avian Vet, in the UK where you will be located, now.

Unless you're going to be permanently located into the UK, eventually you will be coming back, so consider what the USA allows for entry or re-entry in to US. The airline and possibly the Dept of Agriculture will have info. Might as well see what the current rules are for that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts