Superfood Supplement Advice?!?!?

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
I found this supplement at the petstore. Has anyone tried this? I wanted to get some opinions before giving it to Nico. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you so much 😊
69E5E982-D718-4264-9B0F-E85A7DD9F54C.jpeg
91263CF6-F519-4866-AE52-DD35029B6A8D.jpeg

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Iwouldn't use it. I have no idea why there are animal by products, and artificial vitamins are bad for ekkies.
Thank you for the response. I wasn’t sure if it would be helpful or not. It says it helps with feather plucking.

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
I remember looking at that the last time I was in Petco, and decided not to get it after doing a little googling (but don't remember what I found). I've used baby bird formula as a paste to get extra calories and nutrition into Cotton and maybe I decided it was good enough and didn't need this - but he doesn't have special nutritional needs either.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
The only supplement I’ve ever had a vet recommend is Benebac; and that’s usually when prescribing an antibiotic or if their gut bacteria is weak. Kirby has some a couple times a week per vet orders because he does tend to get GI issues otherwise.

onamom

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 9, 2022
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ona: Dilute Green Cheek Conure
I haven’t used the bird version of this but my dogs have used the dog version for years. It helps with their skin and coat and reduces shedding. For them I like it a lot. I looked at the bird version but it seemed unnecessary if a lot of nutrients are already being given in the regular diet?

I’m curious if anyone has tried the bird version.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I know that eclectus parrots are sensitive to added vitamins so I’m not sure what to say. But the ingredients are mostly good natural sources of protein. So it looks like a good thing if you believe your Nico needs that. Maybe he does since he’s growing feathers and needs lots of energy to fight his illness. I think You should be feeding Nico as much as he will eat.

When my Gonzo was sick or scrawny I fed her baby bird formula or human baby food supplemented with similar superfood powders. It seemed to help. Her vet said she looked very good for how sick she was.

I think I would ask Nico’s vet if I were you.

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll...
No, I'd avoid it. Good vet care, good pellet/fresh food routine, all the classic stuff...

Good for you, for reaching out before administering anything new or uncertain!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Excelling information provided above!!
Not enough and too much can represent problems for Parrots.
We never provide supplements unless a recent Blood Test has found a reason or need to provide.
Amazons can develop an enlarged Liver when they receive too much Protein in their diet, most commonly from sources like Sunflower Seed and Peanuts. But also, from too much fortified diet and supplements.
Basic: Know before you provided!!

NOTE: Eclectus Parrots have very special diet requirements and you should have been told that by who sold you an Eclectus! If they did not, you should likely ask why not? The wrong diet can result in behavioral, physical and medical problems.

OP
kme3388

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
I did find out that this is not okay to give to an Ekkie. Nico cannot have this.

It was also not recommended for any psittacine. I just wanted to update what I found out from Nico’s vet.

Most Reactions

Latest posts