Supervising 3 Parrots + Making Chop = LONG DAY!

Violet_Diva

Aug 30, 2016
Media
Albums
Norfolk (England)
Parrots
Bella (Vosmaeri Eclectus Female) + Dexter (Red Sided Eclectus Male) + Gerry (Vosmaeri Eclectus Male)
Today my partner had to visit a friend which meant I had to both supervise the birdies and make chop simultaneously. This basically meant doing about 10 - 15 seconds of chop work and then 10 - 15 seconds of interaction with the birds! This went on for several hours, but it was the only way I could get the birds their playtime and exercise and get their food made!

I made two mixes and a third which is a combination of the two. I find that by making my chop like this gives me flexibility. I can adjust the meals everyday to keep it interesting by mixing one of the chop mixes with other fresh or dried foods.

Mix 1
  • Red bell pepper
  • Yellow bell pepper
  • Green bell pepper
  • Red chillis
  • Sweet potato
  • Carrots
  • Parsnip

Mix 2
  • Radishes
  • Baby corn
  • Sugar snap peas
  • Cauliflower
  • Broccoli
  • Parsley

Mix 3
  • Red bell pepper
  • Yellow bell pepper
  • Green bell pepper
  • Red chillis
  • Sweet potato
  • Carrots
  • Parsnip
  • Radishes
  • Baby corn
  • Sugar snap peas
  • Cauliflower
  • Broccoli
  • Parsley

I always soak my produce in bottled water and apple cider vinegar for 20 mins and then rinse thoroughly with more bottled water.

I then pat dry all the food before blitzing. If too much moisture goes into the chop, it doesn't freeze well and ends up icy!

I keep 3 days of the fresh chop in the fridge and then the rest is portioned out into daily rations and frozen.

The blitzing of the peppers made alot of juice which I squeezed out to try to keep the chop as dry as possible.

The left over juice is in a glass in the fridge and will be mixed with porridge oats for breakfast in the morning so that it doesn't get wasted.

Stupidly I thought it would be a good idea to squeeze the juice out of the blitzed peppers with my hand to save on washing up... the result was a very hot hand all evening :D

Last edited:

WakaWaka

Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Baltimore Maryland
Parrots
Arika - Blue & Gold Macaw
Thanks for sharing the recipes!
Also great job on multitasking with the fids :)
Recovering the juice and using that with the oats is also a great idea.
Looks like you flock is well taken care of and hope everyone has healed from their previous incidents.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
An amazing recipe, you've got this down to a science! Efficiency + thrift with a great variety!

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I have a feeling that's more veg in those batches of chop than I eat in more time than I'm proud to admit!

Most Reactions

Latest posts