Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
After reading all the recipes in the baking recipe thread, I was inspired to whip up some cookies for my flock. I way overestimated the amount of sweet potatoes I needed so the birds have ended up with a few new things to try.

This first recipe made 84 mini cookies, and we have frozen some. I’ll update when I know how well they freeze and thaw.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (1.5-2 medium sweet potatoes)
  • 1 cup 12 grain flour (any healthy flour can be substituted)
  • 1/3 cup puffed quinoa
  • 1/3 cup diced pecans
  • ½ cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
  • ¼ cup red chili flakes
  • 1.5 tsp ginger
  • 2 Tbsp unsweetened orange juice
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • ½ tsp Ceylon cinnamon
  • Parchment paper

Preheat oven to 300°F

Cook sweet potatoes until done. I peeled mine and cut it into chunks then boiled for 15 minutes, but baking or microwaving them would be fine. I let mine cool so the dough would be easier to work with.

Toast coconut. Toasting coconut brings out the nutty flavor. I put mine into a skillet on the stove on medium low heat and stirred frequently. Toast until it is a nice brown colour (I toasted mine until a darker brown for a deeper flavor). Let cool.
You can buy toasted coconut, but some have preservatives so I decided to do my own.

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl, and mix. I used a mixer.

Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones and mix. The dough was firm. You may want to add more liquid as these are very chewy after they sit.

Put a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Using a tsp measure for each cookie, place them on the parchment paper about an inch apart.
*Some I smashed flat, others I made round with a flat bottom. Others I made into little logs, they don’t look appetizing to me, but the birds liked holding them. They all took the same amount of time to cook.
**I topped some with puffed quinoa, some with pecans and some with toasted coconut. Unfortunately the toasted coconut absorbed the moisture from the sweet potatoes and looked unappetizing. The birds didn't mind at all.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. They are done when the sides hold their shape when you push against them.

Remove from oven and leave on hot pan for 5-10 minutes.

Slide the parchment paper with the cookies onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.

They are far from the prettiest cookies I have ever made, but the birds really like them.

In the picture, the top cookies were smashed and topped with the toasted coconut.
The middle are the unfortunate looking logs, some topped with pecans and others with puffed quinoa. The puffed quinoa gives a nice little crunch.
Bottom row are the round ones, topped with a little pecans and puffed quinoa.
The quarter is to show their size.

cookies4.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My pleasure! I hope your birds like it as much as mine did:)

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Looks delicious, irregular shapes great idea for variety. Did you taste test or were copious pepper flakes problematic?
I did taste test and the pepper flakes lit me up...lol. Thankfully the birds like it hot:)
The apple ones were so good that Reg ate 2 of them to "taste test".

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
After reading all the recipes in the baking recipe thread, I was inspired to whip up some cookies for my flock. I way overestimated the amount of sweet potatoes I needed so the birds have ended up with a few new things to try.

This first recipe made 84 mini cookies, and we have frozen some. I’ll update when I know how well they freeze and thaw.

Ingredients:

• 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes (1.5-2 medium sweet potatoes)
  • 1 cup 12 grain flour (any healthy flour can be substituted)
  • 1/3 cup puffed quinoa
  • 1/3 cup diced pecans
  • ½ cup toasted unsweetened coconut flakes
  • ¼ cup red chili flakes
  • 1.5 tsp ginger
  • 2 Tbsp unsweetened orange juice
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • ½ tsp Ceylon cinnamon
  • Parchment paper

Preheat oven to 300°F

Cook sweet potatoes until done. I peeled mine and cut it into chunks then boiled for 15 minutes, but baking or microwaving them would be fine. I let mine cool so the dough would be easier to work with.

Toast coconut. Toasting coconut brings out the nutty flavor. I put mine into a skillet on the stove on medium low heat and stirred frequently. Toast until it is a nice brown colour (I toasted mine until a darker brown for a deeper flavor). Let cool.
You can buy toasted coconut, but some have preservatives so I decided to do my own.

Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix well.

Combine all wet ingredients in a separate bowl, and mix. I used a mixer.

Fold the dry ingredients into the wet ones and mix. The dough was firm. You may want to add more liquid as these are very chewy after they sit.

Put a sheet of parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Using a tsp measure for each cookie, place them on the parchment paper about an inch apart.
*Some I smashed flat, others I made round with a flat bottom. Others I made into little logs, they don’t look appetizing to me, but the birds liked holding them. They all took the same amount of time to cook.
**I topped some with puffed quinoa, some with pecans and some with toasted coconut. Unfortunately the toasted coconut absorbed the moisture from the sweet potatoes and looked unappetizing. The birds didn't mind at all.

Bake for 10-12 minutes. They are done when the sides hold their shape when you push against them.

Remove from oven and leave on hot pan for 5-10 minutes.

Slide the parchment paper with the cookies onto a cooling rack and let cool completely.

They are far from the prettiest cookies I have ever made, but the birds really like them.

In the picture, the top cookies were smashed and topped with the toasted coconut.
The middle are the unfortunate looking logs, some topped with pecans and others with puffed quinoa. The puffed quinoa gives a nice little crunch.
Bottom row are the round ones, topped with a little pecans and puffed quinoa.
The quarter is to show their size.

View attachment 32239
Do you store in fridge or room temperature? How long are they good? Thank you.

OP
Terry57

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Parrots
Do you store in fridge or room temperature? How long are they good? Thank you.
I stored mine in the fridge that I was going to use in the next couple of days and froze the rest. The ones I had in the fridge were all gone by the 3rd day, so I'm not sure how long they would last beyond that.

Most Reactions

Latest posts