Sweet Potatoe Fries

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
All my birds like cooked sweet potatoe except Poppy, she turns her beak up every time. A wonderful friend sent me parrot cookbook and I tried this easy recipe today. Poppy refused the fries at first just to be bratty but now she has a fry clenched in her fist and she can't get enough. The quakers and cockatiel like them too.

Trixie's Sweet Potatoe Fries
by Laura Ford

• Scrub and dry organic sweet potatoes
• Cut into desired French Fry sized sticks
• Warm about a tablespoon of coconut oil to liquid state
• Toss sweet potatoes in coconut oil to lightly coat
• Spread in a single layer on a cookie sheet
• Sprinkle with cinnamon and or cayenne pepper
• Bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for approximately 20 minutes, or until the edges begin to brown.

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
Sounds like a good human and bird yummy treat! Will have to try this one, Thank you!

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
Oh man...now I'm hungry! Maybe I can get my fids to eat these too!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Is that actually a people recipe? Mmm, I can go for some now! :32:. The birds eat it raw.

OP
Allee

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
It's a human friendly parrot food recipe. I love this cookbook, a lot of the recipes are for humans and parrots. The birds let me share a few fries, they were yummy.

Julie, I still have trouble getting Poppy, Zeke and Harry to eat raw vegetables. They will eat raw fruits and a few raw vegetables, but they still prefer cooked.

Amanda_Bennett

Sep 27, 2014
Gresham, OR
Parrots
Zilla 29 Y.O. Orange Wing Amazon
I've been making a similar recipe for Zilla (and me) It's the only way she will voluntarily eat sweet potatoes! :D

It also works for carrots and squashes, like butternut and acorn.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Allee, thanks for sharing that recipe! Do you think those would freeze well so a bunch could be made at one time? Janine and I are doing another chop on the 12th and we are looking for a couple more recipes to use:)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It's a human friendly parrot food recipe. I love this cookbook, a lot of the recipes are for humans and parrots. The birds let me share a few fries, they were yummy.

Julie, I still have trouble getting Poppy, Zeke and Harry to eat raw vegetables. They will eat raw fruits and a few raw vegetables, but they still prefer cooked.

Griffin is the only guy here who really loves vegetables and will actually run to it. Everyone else is like a typical small child!

Most Reactions