Swollen sack between.legs

Sharper22

May 26, 2021
My 22 year old umbrella cockatoo has a squishy sack between her legs. I palpated it and is fluid like. No pain. She eats well and is acting normal.anyone know what this is? I'm sure it's not always been there.
Thanks

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Are you certain the sex is female, can you describe precise location and/or upload pics? Potentially a lipoma, ie "fatty tumor" or cyst. An avian vet is best venue for precise diagnosis and potential treatment.

OP
S

Sharper22

May 26, 2021
Definitely female. Below the breast and pretty much between the legs. It's shaped like a small chicken egg. So it goes breast lump then vent.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

If that pliable my guess is cyst. What's the time frame from discovery to present, has it grown? Warm to the touch or body temperature? I'd lean towards avian vet check to be safe.

OP
S

Sharper22

May 26, 2021
2 weeks.....size is the same and is not hot to the touch so I would say body temperature. She did have a bout of diarrhea for a few days and was lethargic. But she has normal stool now and is her usual crazy self. If it's a cyst is that expensive to get treated.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Honestly, with three disparate symptoms it is time for avian vet check. Hard to know if related or coincidence.

Cysts can reabsorb or be removed via needle aspiration depending on size and vet's advice. Lipomas aks "fatty tumors" a bit more complex. If benign and inconsequential, might take no action and monitor. Large lipomas can be surgically removed.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
Parrots

Thanks for your advice

My pleasure! None of us are vets or techs but are happy to pass along experiential advice. Good luck, hope your bird remains safe and healthy!

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
I found out that fatty tumours/lipomas are benign until they're not. Our local well-meaning vet told us they were 'inconsequential' so we ignored them. Our wonderful old galah, Dominic, died of testicular cancer which had originated in the lipomas between his legs and around his vent. Don't ignore them: have them checked out.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
I found out that fatty tumours/lipomas are benign until they're not. Our local well-meaning vet told us they were 'inconsequential' so we ignored them. Our wonderful old galah, Dominic, died of testicular cancer which had originated in the lipomas between his legs and around his vent. Don't ignore them: have them checked out.

Agreed. I would most definitely get the bird to an avian vet and then make sure you are going often for check-ups. 1x yearly is standard in the US (with additional visits when symptoms present)

Most Reactions

Latest posts