Syd's Revelation!

T00tsyd

May 8, 2017
UK
Parrots
Green cheek conure - Sydney (Syd) Hatched 2/2017
I guess I should wear a cap marked stupid for thinking that Syd could no longer surprise me. When he was a little feather ball it was some time before I could persuade him to approach water. He loathes sprays and will run demented out of water shot. A running tap (faucet) was a definite no no and a variety of bath style additions to his cage also got the boot. He settled initially on a shallow bowl propped up on another upturned in the kitchen sink and for a while that was his bath. Then one day he spied the dog's water bowl and after some discussion my late dog agreed to donate it on the proviso that he had a bright new one.
The water bowl is still in use. It's not beautiful like Syd but has a matching blue interior similar to some of his feathers. Maybe that was the attraction. Until today!

With the current heatwave I have been aware that he might like to bathe more often so each day I have set it up. When he hears the tap running he always flies over to see but more often than not the bowl will sit there ignored until I clear it after bedtime. Today he flew over as usual and I hadn't turned the tap off fully by mistake. It was at a rapid drip. He studied this for a few moments, got himself into position and held out his foot to hold the water. I laughed out loud.

This reaction prompted him further so ignoring the bowlful he tried to drink the water and in doing so got his head wet. He looked quite shocked, shook his feathers out and repeated the process. He then turned and tried the bowl but immediately went back to the tap. So I increased the flow until it was a tiny stream. Well that was it. He ducked in it, opened his wings and was like a little kid in the garden under the hosepipe, obviously loving it.
His face was a picture and this little chap has taken 4 years to know how much fun running water is.

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh I'd love to have seen that, I'll bet it was a hoot and a half! Attaboy Syd, we'll make a bathing beauty out of you yet!! 😍

Most Reactions