tacocaT the SI Eclectus

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
tacocaT the Eclectus hatched 9/16/22
3738B41B-EA65-46DB-857B-DE262B30DD65.jpeg

I brought home my first large(ish) parrot tonight! He’s a roughly 6 month old SI eclectus. I’ve had budgies and cockatiels my entire life. My last budgie (Lightning the Thunderbird, Love of my Life), died two years ago and I finally felt like I was healed enough for a new bird. So, welcome tacocaT ❀️ he is an absolute doll and I cannot wait to see what adventures we have.

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
View attachment 37444
I brought home my first large(ish) parrot tonight! He’s a roughly 6 month old SI eclectus. I’ve had budgies and cockatiels my entire life. My last budgie (Lightning the Thunderbird, Love of my Life), died two years ago and I finally felt like I was healed enough for a new bird. So, welcome tacocaT ❀️ he is an absolute doll and I cannot wait to see what adventures we have.
Welcome! Congrats on your little ekkie! Sorry to hear about your budgie..

I hope that you learn everything you need to know on care here on this forumπŸ™‚πŸ˜‰

Zoruace

Sep 21, 2021
Media
Albums
Welcome to the forums!
Thats one Pretty bird for sure ;)
I recommend browsing the eclectuses forum it has many useful threads ,I would mostly focus on diet ,ekkies have a sensitive digestive system so these threads might help

The I Love Amazons thread is also a goldmine of info not just for amazons but for all birds!

Thanks for joining hope you enjoy your stay!❀️

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your new green baby! He looks healthy and handsome!

Because diet is so important, did the breeder give you recommendations and guidelines?

And Because ekkie males are especially prone to FDB , you might want to read up.

I recommend using a digital kitchen scale to check and log weight weekly.

Looking forward to more pictures, and fun stories. He us especially gorgeous

Last edited:
OP
tacocaTEclectus

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Welcome to the forums!
Thats one Pretty bird for sure ;)
I recommend browsing the eclectuses forum it has many useful threads ,I would mostly focus on diet ,ekkies have a sensitive digestive system so these threads might help

The I Love Amazons thread is also a goldmine of info not just for amazons but for all birds!

Thanks for joining hope you enjoy your stay!❀️
Hi Tikitiel! Thank you for the extra links. I’ve been lurking on this forum (without creating a membership) for most of Covidtimes. I’ve been researching care and behavior of this dude for over a year before taking the plunge so I’m hopeful I’ve got a good foundation! I only just signed up for an account to make sure I have a good place to ask questions. Thanks again and be prepared for tons of pictures of this guy. I am absolutely head over heels for tacocaT

OP
tacocaTEclectus

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on your new green baby! He looks healthy and handsome!

Because diet is so important, did the breeder give you recommendations and guidelines?

And Because ekkie males are especially prone to FDB , you might want to read up.

I recommend using a digital kitchen scale to check and log weight weekly.

Looking forward to more pictures, and fun stories. He us especially gorgeous
Hi there! The breeder gave me a simple β€œmenu” but I’ve been researching diet on these guys for most of a year. The member Chris-md here has been a major source of inspiration for chop recipes and a jumping off point for my research. I am confident diet is under control! I weighed him this morning and he’s lost a few grams during the shipping process but he tore into chop and sprouts this morning like nobody’s business. He’s so far been very quiet and watchful but willing to interact when it’s offered. I am so stoked. Eeeep! I’m nearly 40 and I feel like a kid on Christmas morning πŸ˜‚

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Im curious, please share what did breeder put on simple menu? This is my first chance to ask someone who just got their's from a breeder. :) id always hoped they'd be a good resource

OP
tacocaTEclectus

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Im curious, please share what did breeder put on simple menu? This is my first chance to ask someone who just got their's from a breeder. :) id always hoped they'd be a good resource
It was peas, corn, carrots, brown rice, crushed red pepper, broccoli, Granny Smith apple I think?

So I took that and removed the apple (I pre-froze about 2 weeks worth of chop, apple and other fruits will be added fresh daily to change it up) then I added butternut squash, okra, quinoa, cauliflower, kale, and watercress (all this into the frozen chop). Then I added oats, sprouted lentils, sprouted chia, whole and ground flax, and sprouted chick peas fresh this morning. He had a quarter of a date as a bribe. But he’s not a huge date fan, I just learned.

kme3388

Sep 17, 2021
Minnesota, USA
Parrots
Eclectus Parrot: Nico (male)
Jenday Conure: Kiwi (female)
Hi there, and welcome. I’m so excited to have a baby Ekkie on this forum. I adopted mine, and he’s older. I never got the opportunity to see how baby Ekkie’s are, and their stages as they grow up.

OP
tacocaTEclectus

tacocaTEclectus

Mar 22, 2022
Parrots
Hi there, and welcome. I’m so excited to have a baby Ekkie on this forum. I adopted mine, and he’s older. I never got the opportunity to see how baby Ekkie’s are, and their stages as they grow up.
He’s a con artist, is what he is. He tries to act all big and tough but as soon as I leave the room he starts making these sweet honking squeaks and acts like he’s begging for food. It’s so hard to ignore him but he’s definitely trying hard to con me into thinking he’s a baby πŸ˜‚

Most Reactions

Latest posts