Taking sun conure out for a walk

Sunnytheparakeet

Sep 9, 2018
Hey everyone! I adopted my 5 year old sun conure about a year ago. She came from a neglected home so she was not so tame. However, I worked with her every day and she can now trust me 100%. I love spending time with her.the weather is getting nicer here in Michigan and I was wondering if it would be ok if I got a bird travel backpack and took her with me on long walks. The only time she’s gone outside is to sit on the porch with me or for a vet visit (always in her carrier). Do you think it would be okay to take her out to the park or will she get too stressed with everything going on? I need tips and pointers so I can make her as comfy as possible :)

fiddlejen

Mar 28, 2019
Media
New England
Parrots
Sunny the Sun Conure (sept '18, gotcha 3/'19). Mr Jefferson Budgie & Mrs Calliope Budgie (albino) (nov'18 & jan'19). Summer 2021 Baby Budgies: Riker (Green); Patchouli, Keye, & Tiny (blue greywings).
I take my Sunny out in a Petsfit backpack carrier frequently. My Sunny is quite tame, and she loves it. My budgies - when I take them out, they merely tolerate it. However, I think it's good for them anyway. I think it's really a great idea to take her out with you. You mention "long walks;" you might want to start with one or two shorter walks so she can get the idea.

When I take my Sunny out, I load up the little food dish with her favorite treats. I'd suggest you make sure to do this, especially at first, so she associates her backpack-carrier with Good things.

Also -- pay attention to the temperature, and her comfort in general. IF going for a long walk, try making it a circular route so at any given time you are not Too Far from either your car or your home etc.

*Don't* wear extra layers if it's chilly; you want to become un-comfortable if she would. Also, as it gets warm, pay attention because she can get over-heated in her carrier before you. So if it is hot out, doN't dress Too Lightly either; again, you want to become Un-comfortable Before she does.

The other day I was planning to take my Sunny for a walk on a rail-trail across a bridge. However as I approached I could feel the chilly water-breeze, and knew if I continued, she would be feeling that chill for far too long before I could return, so, I turned back right then.

That is my advice. I don't think she will get too stressed -- however, you know your bird best; pay full attention and if she does seem stressed, take her back home and calm her. If you are driving back home, then play some relaxing music for her on the way. :)

1oldparroter

Nov 4, 2019
Waiteville, WV
Parrots
I am 71, married and fairly private. I have PM privileges but prefer the phone. Printed messages, are so limited. jh
Here under the Forums or on youtube.com (search window type parrot outside and hit enter) the 2 should give you plenty good idea's. jh

OP
S

Sunnytheparakeet

Sep 9, 2018
Thank you so much! So rule of thumb is whenever it’s too warm or too chilly for me, my bird is most likely feeling it too. The weather hasn’t been too bad here in Michigan. About mid 70’s today. I’ll take her for a little walk around the block and take her back home and see how she reacts. Thank you!

Most Reactions

Latest posts