Taking the little guys out... how? I'd love for them to be able to experience trees again.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
The little guys like trees. I know this because Picasso was flight trained outside, no restraints, as a baby. And she's never been that happy or healthy since. Especially healthy. There was something about flying in the sun that made her so healthy and happy, it's crazy. And Stormy too. When he escaped, the first thing he did was fly into a tree and sing his little heart out. Pure joy. He rarely does that now.

I've tried carriers, but they're too small and the birds will sing in them sometimes, but they usually just look anxious, maybe because they can't fly away. With the aviary, they like it, but they aren't very active in it. They're still very sleepy and barely fly around in it at all. They just love the woods, and frankly, are happier in the woods in a small cage than in a clearing in the aviary.

I'd just really love them to be able to perch in trees. There must be a way, one that's not a harness. Harnesses are stressful for such small birds. But I guess I could try one if it was custom-made and if the little guys would sit still long enough the be trained to wear a harness. But I doubt that. I just want them to be happy and healthy. Seeing them be so inactive outside last summer was depressing. Does anyone know of anything that might work? Even if it's only for birds who are a trained a specific way, or even if it's a slow process, or even if I need to train myself a certain way. I don't care. Really, what I want is for them to be able to experience they joy of trees again. But I will not be doing anything that has a high risk of death or injury. Of course, everything has a risk of death or injury, that's unavoidable.

Sorry for going on a tangent. Their lives are short, I want them to experience as much joy as possible. And I'll be leaving for collage in... an amount of years. Less than five. They probably won't get as much attention when I'm in collage. Heck, I'm scared they'll get neglected. Now I'm off on another tangent. So my question was, are there any ways to take your birds out (besides harness or carrier or aviary) that don't have a high risk of injury or death?

Thanks,
Oliver

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Oliver, I'd be afraid of predators. Where we were, we have hawks nesting in the neighbour's tree and our trees are filled with owls at night. One owl sleeps on out back porch.

With birds a small as budgies I think the only safe way is an outdoor aviary. You could put branches in it, and if it's big enough you could add a tree that's safe. I bet that would get them close to the outdoor feeling.

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Terry57 is in to something. They make these β€œscreen houses” - it’s basically a huge tent with mesh walls and sometimes a solid roof. It would be large enough to put over a small tree or bush. You would need to really stake the edges down tightly so nobody could crawl under.

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
They are prohibitively expensive, but have you looked into Java tree stands? They make floor standing ones and desktop ones. It’s Kirby’s favorite type of perch by far. I have yet to find one small enough to fit in my partner’s office for Sam, I am hoping to find out if we can get a permit to convert our patio into a climate controlled sun room so that she can have one too.

OP
π•Ύπ–™π–”π–—π–’π–žπ•»π–Žπ–ˆπ–†
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Terry57 is in to something. They make these β€œscreen houses” - it’s basically a huge tent with mesh walls and sometimes a solid roof. It would be large enough to put over a small tree or bush. You would need to really stake the edges down tightly so nobody could crawl under.
That sound so cool! IΔΊl look into it. IαΈΏ noy saying I want them to free fly, I just want them to be able to perch on trees and practice recall. It would be useful it something like that was portable, but oh well.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Ok, I looked up screen tents, and they look pretty cool! Some of the smaller pop-up ones could be like a portable mini aviary, I think.

buurd

May 11, 2018
Parrots
2 Rosy Bourke's parrots
I was looking at those once, and I was told that the parakeet can get their nails stuck in the mesh and hang (deadly)or try to pull it loose and break their toes, feet, legs. I wish someone would come up with a bird safe pop up like that.

I dont think you can train an adult parakeet to free fly. I wouldn't take that chance because if they fly off, they are easy prey for other birds, crows, etc.

OP
May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
I was looking at those once, and I was told that the parakeet can get their nails stuck in the mesh and hang (deadly)or try to pull it loose and break their toes, feet, legs. I wish someone would come up with a bird safe pop up like that.
Anything and everything can kill a bird. Letting them out of their cage can kill them, their cage can kill them, going out in a carrier can kill them, taking them to the vet can kill them. Nothing is truly parrot-safe, as much as we'd like to think it is. Every parrot owner has to decide which risks to take and which ones not to take.
I dont think you can train an adult parakeet to free fly. I wouldn't take that chance because if they fly off, they are easy prey for other birds, crows, etc.
The most definitely can, the question is just about the risk. Are you willing to take that risk? For most people, no. For some, yes. There are many adult freeflight trained budgies in this world, I can assure you of that. But most people (myself included) do not want to take that risk. If I lived in a very open place with less forests and hills, I would seriously consider free-flying them with the help of a professional. But I don't, so they'll be staying inside, in the aviary, and in a carrier for now.

Another thing to mention is that budgies seem to need to be free flown in flocks like pigeons rather than as individuals. Freely, coming and going all day as they please as a flock. A much larger flock than what I have.

Plus, 2 of my budgies have medical issues (or differences, I'm not sure at what point a difference becomes an issue). Apollo doesn't do well in large flocks, and has some sensory issues (I'm calling them that until I have a better name) that makes it difficult or impossible for her to do recall in certain conditions, for example, she gets extremely overwhelmed by by any bright light and "freezes" and becomes unresponsive for multiple minutes, so flying in the sun is not an option, and Stormy has quite a confusing issue, I'm not fully sure why it's caused, but he regurgitates after physical exercise, and it only seems semi-voluntary. It may be that flying and being a chaotic boy is too stressful on his body sometimes, so it seems long recall sessions are out.

And the third one (Cossie) would rather walk or "flop" (when I hold her, and she falls off my hand, usually because she's leaning too far off, she'll clumsily "flop", assuming I'll catch her... that green booger has way too much trust in me LOL) than fly, though she most definitely CAN fly. So free flight is just not right for my flock.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month πŸ†
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
The only thing I would be concerned about, even if the parrot is flight recall trained, In-situ branches etc is that there are parasites and bird specific microbes that they could pickup just from sitting on them. WHo knows if they start to chew up bark and under layers. Thats how feather mites and others are transmitted.

Most Reactions