Talking parrots

BradGC

Jul 31, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet
So as they say: Alex's are meant to be some of the best talkers close to African greys. From what I'm guessing is that they mean best in terms of clarity but possibly not as big a vocabulary as greys.
So basically, I'm interested to hear about your Alex's: when they started talking and how many words or noises they make.

Our bird is nearly 1 year old and is almost starting to speak. So far he makes a kissing noise, a crow noise and a funny noise that we're guessing that he just made up, it almost sounds like "wow" but more like "maaahhhh"

I'm really hoping he will say a word or hello soon

Ash

Nov 20, 2011
Hamilton, New Zealand
Alex started talking 1 month after I got him. He would of been maybe just over a year old. So far he says,
What
What ya doing,
He Meows like a cat
Hello in different tones
Ohhhh
Pikachu
A lot of other bird noises, hes mimic the call of our IRN.
Clucks like a chicken which he learned of Kikorangi

I would also agree with clarity over vocabulary. :)

chron666

Sep 19, 2012
QLD Australia
Parrots
Oscar - alexandrine
Hey Brad, I guess it can vary greatly from bird to bird, regardless of species.

I've had Oscar, an alexandrine, for about 9 months now. In that time, he has learned to do the following.
mimics different types of whistles, and he learns new tones and melodies quite quickly.
mumbles at me when im eating, I presume he saying "oh yummy". As that is what I always say when he eats.
When anyone leaves my house they tend to yell through "goodbye" so oscar has learned that when ever someone leaves he is to make sure they part with an earful of parrot first. Which I don't mind :)
my favorite, when he is grumpy. he stands in the middle of the top of his cage, fluffs up and just mumbles at anyone who walks near his cage.

Basically he is showing me his massive personality through all these sounds and gestures he makes up. He doesn't say many audible words, and maybe one day he will, but if he doesn't...I'll still be happy with my little mate!

Buying a bird because they have the possibility of imitating and in some cases cognitively copying human speech is totally wrong. You'll more often than not find out the coolest thing about pet parrots is not the fact they can talk and copy words..but im always left amazed at how bloody smart the little buggers are, and there ability to chew through...ANYTHING.

In short; Friends of parrot owners = OMG DA BIRDY TALKS
Parrot owner = yeap, and he has feelings...so lets lower your voice and maybe step back from his cage... :p

pagie

Apr 1, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Alexandrine-Jimmy
My Alex jimmy says quite a few things, whaddaya doing? Kiss kiss mwah mwah, awww(when feeling cuddly) hello, wanna cup of tea, nice shoes, I love you, looking good... Also yells the names of the kids out in exactly the same tone and pitch. I spend time just talking with him some phrases he'll get within a week others take ages and then he'll say them once or twice and that's it. I love the mumbling and grumpy noises but must admit the screeching when I'm not in sight is getting pretty bad, wondering if a companion might be an idea? How do you guys cope with that?

OP
BradGC

BradGC

Jul 31, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet
Since I've posted this he's actually picked up sooo much more vocabulary.
His "mahhh" sound has turned into Wow, and I realised that it's because when he was young and he got excited, he'd hold into the cage and flap his wings profusely and I'd say woowwww look at those wings.
As a result, when I get him to do his wings trick, he stretches out his wings and says wooowwwww, its sooo funny.

He does my phone ring tone, message beep, microwave beep, washing machine beep, also says "upupup" the same way my fiancee asks him to step up and he's also nearly saying hello.
Another cool thing is his 3rd trick that he's picking up well which is to put the ball in the cup.

Pagie: we get the same problem, as soon as we're gone , he squaks. Sometimes a temporary solution is almonds in shell, mixed natural gumnuts and seed pods or a seed block

pagie

Apr 1, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Alexandrine-Jimmy
Was wondering about whether treats like that whilst giving some peace also reinforce the squawking. Some days I feel like he has to either be with me the whole time or have a never-ending cage full of treats and new toys to destroy, wondering if companion bird might help?

OP
BradGC

BradGC

Jul 31, 2012
Gold Coast, Australia
Parrots
Alexandrine parakeet
Yea I'm sure a companion would help, but also they'll get a bit less attached to you and be jealous of each other when you're giving one attention.. well that's only what I've read, we only have one.

Also try the radio, it tends to keep ours quiet for a while as he's interested in listening to it

Devann

Aug 2, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Vino - Alexandrine, Spot - Congo African Grey
My Vino doesn't speak at all (she apparently used to but stopped when the other bird in her first home passed away). She does do a "click click woohoo" and what we call her "jaguar" but thats about it. I've been trying to teach her a few words since I got her a few months ago. I tell her "love you" like 50 times a day, but still nothing... I still love her to bits though :)

mrob

Mar 22, 2011
New Zealand
Parrots
Gizmo:Male RS Eclectus
R.I.P Merv Hughes: Cockateil
Booger: Alexandrine
my alex was an amazing talker. ive never met a bird as good, even greys! (granted have never owned a grey). He was way better than talking than my eccie is - my eccie talks quite a lot but in a bird voice ;)
My alex could say, in my voice exactly ( i lost him at 18 months old, he started talking at 6 months)
hello
what are you doing
give me a kiss.......mwah!
come on merv (my cockateils name)
cockateil schreeh X 1000 decibels
i love you
good boy
good girl
wheres charlie?
hello liam
you are such a good boy
step up