Talking

Shan.Bali

Jul 8, 2020
Bali
Parrots
Keke - nearly 2 yr of age, Vosmaeri
How long did it take before your sweetie start talking? The breeder claimed KyKy could say a couple phrases, although I he never provided evidence.

She squawks, acccks, etc.

Just curious

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
Just depends...some birds talk a lot, others don't. How old is she?

OP
Shan.Bali

Shan.Bali

Jul 8, 2020
Bali
Parrots
She is 14 months. It seems like She is really trying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HEEDLESS

Supporting Member
Nov 9, 2018
Media
US
Parrots
Eclectus: SI. Vosmaeri
"KISE" She was born in Jan, 2018.
"Akashi" He hatched 07/13/2021.

Kise is talking like there's no tomorrow, and singing too. "My oh my, my, my my beauti day" Because I sang the phrase of
'My oh my what a wonderful day'
I think your baby girl will be talking a lot too.

I have been watching Chinese Drama with English sub (I don't speak Chinese :D ) She has been imitating Chinese and I don't understand what she is saying. :D :D

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Eclectus have potentially superb voice quality, much depends on the individual bird. My male "Sasquatch" had an impeccable quality mimicking a young boy. Female "Angel" had limited vocabulary with generic adult intonation.

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Kise is talking like there's no tomorrow, and singing too. "My oh my, my, my my beauti day" Because I sang the phrase of

I have been watching Chinese Drama with English sub (I don't speak Chinese :D ) She has been imitating Chinese and I don't understand what she is saying. :D :D

Oh that's great-- I watch a lot of Korean dramas...I so wish Noodles would start saying "mwoh?!" (not sure I transliterated that right..but it means "what" and it is said constantly in very dramatic tones lol!)

OP
Shan.Bali

Shan.Bali

Jul 8, 2020
Bali
Parrots

Oh that's great-- I watch a lot of Korean dramas...I so wish Noodles would start saying "mwoh?!" (not sure I transliterated that right..but it means "what" and it is said constantly in very dramatic tones lol!)

Oh fun! As we live in Bali, our household is bilingual - Indonesian and English. We tend to be very aware of our speech - very positive, calm and fun (better to state careful as to what KyKy hears!). Lots of sounds coming from the jungle adjacent to our villa - similar to her native islands.

Cheers,
Shan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots

Oh fun! As we live in Bali, our household is bilingual - Indonesian and English. We tend to be very aware of our speech - very positive, calm and fun (better to state careful as to what KyKy hears!). Lots of sounds coming from the jungle adjacent to our villa - similar to her native islands.

Cheers,
Shan

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh yes-- best to be careful...much like children, they tend to pick up the most annoying OR most inappropriate phrases (WITH PROPER INTONATION!!! LOL)

charmedbyekkie

May 24, 2018
US/SG
Parrots
Cairo the Ekkie!
Our ekkie boy (not girl) started with "Hello" since only a few months old. But he picks things up in context or if a favourite person says it.

In terms of his Bahasa, he does say things like, "Cairo, go makan. Makan...."
I've been telling him every time we put on his hardness that we're going to "jalan jalan", but he doesn't care - he just asks if we're going to "go fly-fly" (he's got his clear priorities).

He's only 2.5 years old, and I noticed that he really does have set sessions/timings for listening to learn and for practicing. When he's actively listening, you can see his body language is very clearly attentive. When given the right situation, he'll practice. But if we don't give him the opportunity to listen (1-1 singing sessions, face to face talking, etc) or practice (shower time, walks outside, etc), then he stagnates with his vocab.

Some people say it has to do with subspecies as well. Ours is an Aruensis, Papua New Guinea Red Sided, and Solomon Island mix.

Last edited:

baltokarhu

Nov 25, 2021
Media
Finland Helsinki
Parrots
eclectus
Hello! I have heard lot of cute sounding eclectus parrots in web, with their cute Child like voices. My eclectus became very chatty and she speaks every day. Now she is about 1 year old and her voice is very deep, like boogeyman's voice. It havent change, she has sounded like this sence she started to talk. She speaks Finnish, so you might not understand what she's speaking. But the voice 😅 I'm curious, Is this usual, does someone have parrot who also sound like this? She is my first parrot.

Last edited:

WingDing

Nov 13, 2017
Media
Texas
Parrots
Toby - RS Eclectus
Midori - Nanday Conure
Hello! I have heard lot of cute sounding eclectus parrots in web, with their cute Child like voices. My eclectus became very chatty and she speaks every day. Now she is about 1 year old and her voice is very deep, like boogeyman's voice. It havent change, she has sounded like this sence she started to talk. She speaks Finnish, so you might not understand what she's speaking. But the voice 😅 I'm curious, Is this usual, does someone have parrot who also sound like this? She is my first parrot.
Parrots mimic the voices and sounds they hear. The breeder that we adopted our eclectus from had several rescue birds that sounded like really old men because that is who they heard all day. It was hilarious for me to see a beautiful female cockatoo named Rosie that kept repeating "whatcha doin?" in a gruffy old man's voice.

I very deliberately speak in a cheery falsetto voice around our eclectus. I didn't want him sounding like a raspy guy like me. It doesn't seem natural.

Last edited:

baltokarhu

Nov 25, 2021
Media
Finland Helsinki
Parrots
eclectus
Parrots mimic the voices and sounds they hear. The breeder that we adopted our eclectus from had several rescue birds that sounded like really old men because that is who they heard all day. It was hilarious for me to see a beautiful female cockatoo that kept repeating "whatcha doin?" in a gruffy old man's voice.

I very deliberately speak in a cheery falsetto voice around our eclectus. I didn't want him sounding like a raspy guy like me. It doesn't seem natural.
i guess then my eckie liked my husband's voice better than mine 🤔😅 But in fact, all she has learned is more from my husband’s speeches. This is funny cos she is more dependent on me and we spend more time together playing and practicing.

cytherian

Dec 29, 2020
Near NYC
Parrots
Eclectus
I made a recent recording of our juvenile male Ekkie. He's a real talker. His owner, my roommate, raised him and fed him by hand after his mother Ekkie decided she was done. He was talked to with lots of repetition on certain phrases and rewarded when he'd try. He's incredibly talented! Another funny side-effect of his vocalizations is the landline phone ringtone. He can convincingly imitate it, and he loves the sound... seemingly doing it as a soothing kind of thing. He and I "call/reply" each other with it (I have the tone on my phone). I plan to record the next good session we have.

His parents? No talking. When they were just a few years old, they did talk a little. "Hello" "Hi" "Love you." and that's about it. But once the baby started talking, they've not said a word. It's almost like they crave distinction and won't talk because it's the juvenile's "identity."

Most Reactions

Latest posts