Tamed budgie not wanting to interact after getting him a new friend

Needhelpwithbirb

Nov 15, 2023
Parrots
2budgies
So my budgie Rio he is around more than 2 months old almost 3 months. I got him when he was only 25 days old it's been almost 2 months since I got him. He was only a single bird all this time. Yesterday I got him a new friend named shiyo she is half tamed around 2 months old I month younger than Rio. both the budgies are tamed but after meeting each other they do not want to interact with me at all.I got both of the birds out yesterday they didn't want to interact with me. I get that shiyo is new and she'll take a bit of time to adjust and get comfortable but Rio also didn't want to interact with me .he only came to me to eat and then flew away.Then shiyo was really sleepy so I got her inside the cage and Rio was outside. Then he was interacting with me. Today morning I got them out for a bit both of them ate were eating from my hand a bit. I read some articles about this and if I want them to interact with me I have to put them in separate cages but I don't have the money for another cage. So what should I do in this situation If I want both of them to interact with me? please someone help I'm really attached to Rio so him not interacting with me kinda hurts :'(.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
So my budgie Rio he is around more than 2 months old almost 3 months. I got him when he was only 25 days old it's been almost 2 months since I got him. He was only a single bird all this time. Yesterday I got him a new friend named shiyo she is half tamed around 2 months old I month younger than Rio. both the budgies are tamed but after meeting each other they do not want to interact with me at all.I got both of the birds out yesterday they didn't want to interact with me. I get that shiyo is new and she'll take a bit of time to adjust and get comfortable but Rio also didn't want to interact with me .he only came to me to eat and then flew away.Then shiyo was really sleepy so I got her inside the cage and Rio was outside. Then he was interacting with me. Today morning I got them out for a bit both of them ate were eating from my hand a bit. I read some articles about this and if I want them to interact with me I have to put them in separate cages but I don't have the money for another cage. So what should I do in this situation If I want both of them to interact with me? please someone help I'm really attached to Rio so him not interacting with me kinda hurts :'(.
First, you need to have an extra cage when you have more than one budgie (or other bird) just in case they decide to fight and you need to separate them. The extra cage doesn't need to be expensive or elaborate. You can buy one second hand at a yard sale or online.

From what you describe, the only way to have kept Rio preferring your company would have been keeping him as a solo budgie. If you had waited about six more months before getting the female Rio likely would have still been more interactive with you than he is now, but generally budgies prefer other budgies.

This isn't ALWAYS the case. I have a female budgie Rocky I hand raised from an egg and she just turned one year old. I had and still have five other budgies and Rocky was aware of the other budgies since she opened her eyes at about 10 days old but I kept her separated from them in an incubator/brooder for a few weeks, then her own cage until she was about seven months old. She now shares a cage with a very tame male, Beau (tame but not very interactive toward us), and she gets along well with him. Before this, she would curiously interact with the other budgies through their cages when she was out flying around but she was more interested in hanging around with us humans. I think this is because we were essentially her parents and the first living creatures she saw when she opened her eyes. We hand fed her, round the clock at first, and gently weaned her at about six weeks old onto pellets, veggies and bird safe human food. She still seeks us out for food, especially for anything we are eating. Rocky has NOT become less interactive with us since we put her in a cage with Beau but she is definitely happier having him as a cagemate.

I think your male Rio has a much more normal relationship with you, and it's probably a GOOD THING. Rocky is very interactive with us but is demanding, fearless, and bossy (female budgies can be like this) and likes to bite our fingers, ears, and any other exposed skin. She's very gentle with Beau and he's a wonderful companion for her when we're not home. If you keep handling him daily, Rio will remain tame but will probably prefer the company of his new girlfriend and that's fine- you can't share a cage with him, and he shouldn't have to live alone especially with another budgie in the room. Spend lots of time with both budgies and try to get the young female as hand tame as possible. I wouldn't re-home the new girl. In the long run Rio will be happier this way. Us humans can't spend all our waking hours entertaining a budgie.

I'm not sure keeping them in separate cages side by side would make any difference because they will spend their days chirping back and forth and trying to reach each other. The minute you open the cage doors they will probably fly to each other. All this is okay! Even good! You are well on your way to having two relatively tame budgies if you keep trying.

OP
N

Needhelpwithbirb

Nov 15, 2023
Parrots
2budgies
yeah that's what I mean taking them out separately. I have another problem which is like I got Rio our yesterday at first he didn't want to interact but then he did after I offered him his favorite treats etc but he bites REALLY hard. like he'll come perch on my fingers and eat from my hands but when he sees my palms he'll bite really hard and do that angry screeching. What do I do?
What do you mean differently? Take them out of the cage separately? That may help.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
yeah that's what I mean taking them out separately. I have another problem which is like I got Rio our yesterday at first he didn't want to interact but then he did after I offered him his favorite treats etc but he bites REALLY hard. like he'll come perch on my fingers and eat from my hands but when he sees my palms he'll bite really hard and do that angry screeching. What do I do?
I don't know why but some budgies bite even when they are tame. My female Rocky bites and I hand raised her! She seeks out our company and is very bonded to us but still bites. Her cagemate Beau (a male) was hand raised too (not by me) and he never bites. I think it's a personality thing. I also think (from years of owning many budgies) that females bite more than males but this doesn't explain Rio biting because he's a make, right? I've never had a male that bit and not all females bite. I just protect myself by wearing a long sleeved hoodie. I adore my Rocky despite her biting.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I don't know why but some budgies bite even when they are tame. My female Rocky bites and I hand raised her! She seeks out our company and is very bonded to us but still bites. Her cagemate Beau (a male) was hand raised too (not by me) and he never bites. I think it's a personality thing. I also think (from years of owning many budgies) that females bite more than males but this doesn't explain Rio biting because he's a make, right? I've never had a male that bit and not all females bite. I just protect myself by wearing a long sleeved hoodie. I adore my Rocky despite her biting.
Post pictures of your budgies. I'd love to see them!

Angelica

Nov 29, 2023
Post pictures of your budgies. I'd love to see them!
I have 4 budgies these two and then I have 2 more blue ones one male and one old female lemon the yellow one is a female and blue the blue one in the picture is a male as well I have 2 male 2 female

Attachments

• 20231119_121503.jpg
    20231119_121503.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 6
  • received_913547526667034.jpeg
    received_913547526667034.jpeg
    106.8 KB · Views: 5

Most Reactions

Latest posts