Taming help?

Spookyboi

Feb 2, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiel x2
Hello, made a account to ask this question. Sorry if it's in the wrong category, please let me know.

So I have one cockatiel who is an affectionate wee thing. Took her a few days after getting her then she was seeking my attention.

Decided to get her a friend and they became friends easily. Problem is he isn't interested in me, I ignored him, didnt force anything. He watched me pet my girl over a couple of months and talk to them. Yet he just seems scared of me. I did some research and found someone that said to keep them apart for a while so they can bond with me as well. I did that and the new bird, he eats and drinks but stays in the same place all day when he isn't eating or drinking.

I spend loads of time between them both, the 2nd bird is in my bedroom. I talk to him and put my hand on the cage so he can get use to it. Poor guy is shaking so I do stop, don't want the guy to have a heart attack.

Any advice? Am I doing it wrong? Should I put them back together and hope over the years he gets used to me?

These are my first birds, so not 100% confident. But would like the 2nd bird to be somewhat tame if I need to get him to the vets and touch him if need be. Get him back in the cage ect.

I know animals have different personalities hence the difference between the 1st snd 2nd but just want to know If I did something wrong.

Khan

Feb 2, 2024
Parrots
African Grey
Hello there! It's wonderful that you are putting in the effort to make your feathered friends feel comfortable and build a bond with them.

Introducing a new bird to your existing one can sometimes be a delicate process. It seems like you've been patient and considerate in your approach, which is commendable. Here are a few tips that might help in fostering a better connection with your new cockatiel:

1. Gradual Introduction: Allow more time for the new bird to acclimate to its surroundings before reintroducing them to each other. This way, they can both bond with you individually before interacting with each other.
  2. Positive Reinforcement: When spending time with the new bird, try offering treats or favorite foods. This can create positive associations with your presence and help alleviate any fear or nervousness.
  3. Gentle Interactions: Continue talking to the new bird and offering your hand near the cage. If the bird is shaking, it might be a sign of fear. Move slowly and only progress to physical interactions when the bird seems more comfortable.
  4. Respect Their Space: Some birds take longer to adjust, so be patient. If the new bird prefers to stay in one place, provide enriching activities within the cage to keep them stimulated.
  5. Observation: Pay attention to their body language. If the new bird shows signs of stress, like feather puffing or avoidance, it's crucial to give them space.
Remember, building trust and taming takes time, especially with individual personalities. You're not doing anything wrong; it's just about finding the right pace for your new feathered friend. Keep the positive interactions going, and over time, you may see positive changes in their behavior. If you have concerns, consulting with a avian vet could provide valuable insights tailored to your birds' specific needs.

Best of luck!

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Some parrots take weeks, months and yes even years, to begin to trust humans. Just proceed at the pace of the parrot and not at the pace of your expectations and wants. It will happen. Eventually.

OP
Spookyboi

Spookyboi

Feb 2, 2024
Parrots
Cockatiel x2
Some parrots take weeks, months and yes even years, to begin to trust humans. Just proceed at the pace of the parrot and not at the pace of your expectations and wants. It will happen. Eventually.
Yeah I understand animals take their own time. I have rabbits and the 2nd one took their time to love me haha. Do you think I should reintroduce them and hope for the best in terms of loving me? I have 20+ years for him to learn I'm not mean haha.

Feel for the the poor guy.

Feb 4, 2024
Media
Parrots
Canary Hulu
Keep the two separate the two until he is very used to the environment.

Give him a week without interacting with him, try using your phone while you sit near his cage and go about your life.

Avoid placing your hands on his cage during this time. Spend time in the same room consistently but don't look at him.

When he starts to walk around his cage and gets more active is when you can try sitting far from his cage and talking to him.

You could also read a text out loud or count to a thousand. After you've done this, place some food he likes through the cage bars and leave.

He will associate you with food.
Repeat this process, moving your chair closer each step, to get him used to being closer to you. When he is comfortable in your close presence is when you could try introducing the two.

And it's only at this stage you should try feeding him with a stick, gradually shortening it until he eats from your hand.

Most Reactions

Latest posts