Taming Lovebirds

Lovebird

Jan 4, 2014
Parrots
Peach Faced Lovebirds- Maxwell and Claire
Dream Bird: U2
Okay, I've tried taming them forever but it won't work. :(
I've had Maxwell and Claire, two abused lovebirds that I rescued from a swap meet, where they were treated terribly, for about two and a half years. Claire is a bit more laid back but she did bite me once. They are not clipped, because 1. They never were. and 2. They're in a horizontal flight cage and they never want to come out. and 3. I don't like to have them not clipped because it makes them unable to fly. So anyways, any tips? I have millet, fruit, veggies, and birdseed. And water, of course. :)

Lovie

Feb 8, 2014
America~
Parrots
Birdie, my Lutino lovebird.
Okay, I've tried taming them forever but it won't work. :(
I've had Maxwell and Claire, two abused lovebirds that I rescued from a swap meet, where they were treated terribly, for about two and a half years. Claire is a bit more laid back but she did bite me once. They are not clipped, because 1. They never were. and 2. They're in a horizontal flight cage and they never want to come out. and 3. I don't like to have them not clipped because it makes them unable to fly. So anyways, any tips? I have millet, fruit, veggies, and birdseed. And water, of course. :)

First of all, how long (more specifically) have you had Maxwell and Claire (unless your answer is two and a half years, in which case I'm sorry, I'm bad at reading). Biting is, well, not natural, but something that's pretty common for the birds, especially given their backgrounds.

It would also help us to know what you've done so far. For example, did you open the door and let them wander out by themselves?

Once we get more information, we can help you more. :)

OP
L

Lovebird

Jan 4, 2014
Parrots
I have had Maxwell and Claire for about two and a half years. I tried opening the door of the cage and waited for about half an hour but they were scared and decide to stay in the corner of their cage, all nervous, behind their toy ladder that they like to climb on.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Have you tried offering them as much food as they'll eat in one day, or taking their food out at night? Then first thing in the morning, try feeding them millet, seeds or treats by hand?

If after 5-15 minutes and they don't take food from your hand, that's ok. Replenish their food dishes and try again the next day!

I've done this with 5 adult flighted budgies, all untame, and 4 (+1 tame) adult cockatiels (one not flighted), from not tame but not scared to wild and skittish in behavior.

OP
L

Lovebird

Jan 4, 2014
Parrots
I feed them their food (their diet of seeds, fruits, veggies, etc.) and water, and I leave it in. I try feeding them millet, but they get scared. I sometimes take them out for fresh air and stuff, and they like it outside (but they're in their cage so they can't get out). The male is especially skittish (Maxwell). Claire the female is a bit larger though, they are peach-faced, with yellow bodies (like a lutino) but have blue and green on their backs and tails.

Lovie

Feb 8, 2014
America~
Parrots
Birdie, my Lutino lovebird.
Hmmm... you could leave the cage door open more often, and if they start to come out, just let them roam a little (making sure to keep an eye on them, naturally). If they don't want to, just keep leaving it there, and do your own thing. If they *still* don't want to, maybe you could coax them a little?

You could also try to handfeed them their seeds and stuff. Make sure it's one of their favorites, or at least something they're familiar with.

I don't know how much this is helping, I'm sorry.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
You might want to consider feeding them by hand. You can feed birds as much as they want daily, but just because you provide for them does not mean they'll warm up to you. Simply putting a dish of food in the cage has nothing to do with them learning to trust you. However, feeding them by hand may lead to earning their trust. They'd probably be terrified at first, but if you tried every morning to feed by hand before they ate, it may help to earn their trust. They can learn that you may bring good things for them and you wont attack them when they go to eat from your hands.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUx81WHTUwk"]1 Bird in hand Leads to Many - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlSm4uFZzVU"]More Budgies!!!! - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q88bN30qOjo"]Sunshine in the Morning - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R9w9w8nMRmw"]Hesitant Faye - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rH9ZWxhCSAE"]Not So Hesitant Faye - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjKmHswgiHs"]Cockatiel Feeding - April 24th - YouTube[/ame]

nrm123

Jan 25, 2014
Parrots
Lovebird - Sherbet
My Lovie is the opposite and has actually declined after making progress. He is bitey everyday whenever I have my hands near him even with millet he's more concentrating on going for my hand but he never used to be like this. I've never hurt the bird or forced him to do something he didn't want and I don't pressure him into a corner he has the chance to move away if he is scared but chooses to stay and attack.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Something must have happened to teach him to bite. Birds aren't born knowing to bite, it's a learned behavior. Maybe you need to reevaluate how you are interacting with him? Evaluate how you are approaching him?

nrm123

Jan 25, 2014
Parrots
Lovebird - Sherbet
Something must have happened to teach him to bite. Birds aren't born knowing to bite, it's a learned behavior. Maybe you need to reevaluate how you are interacting with him? Evaluate how you are approaching him?

He was forcefully handled in the pet store which may be a factor but that was 4 months ago, when I go to the cage he usually carries on with whatever he's doing. If I have my iPad out and the cage is open he will make every effort to come out and sit on top of the case and bite on the leather but will not go from there to my hand or handheld perch.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Can you train him to target while he's in his cage using millet or other favorite treats?

nrm123

Jan 25, 2014
Parrots
Lovebird - Sherbet
Can you train him to target while he's in his cage using millet or other favorite treats?

ive tried with touch training but i may of been misleading him. its more of a bite than a touch with beak. Ive tried clicker training and got him to move around for millet but when it gets to the move onto hand or reach over hand he just bites my finger instead everytime.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
ive tried with touch training but i may of been misleading him. its more of a bite than a touch with beak. Ive tried clicker training and got him to move around for millet but when it gets to the move onto hand or reach over hand he just bites my finger instead everytime.

You might have been asking too much too soon, or moved too fast. It really helps to break down a behavior into steps.... step up might look something like this, and each step may need to be repeated 3-10 times or more before moving onto the next step.

1. Reward bird for looking at you.
2. Reward your bird for moving his head towards you.
3. Reward your bird for taking a step towards you.
4. Reward your bird for taking another step towards you.
5. If he doesn't run away, keep rewarding him for remaining where he's at. (if he runs/backs off, you may need to start over again)
6. Reward your bird for taking a couple more steps closer.
7. Encourage him to come closer yet again and reward him.
8. Reward your bird for touching you with his toe(s).
9. Reward your bird for putting a foot on you.
10. *JACKPOT REWARD* Give your bird lots of goodies for putting both feet on you!

It may also help to make your hand an extension of whatever the bird is already sitting on, so it doesn't have to be a *physical* step up. Merely, moving from one surface to another.... like going from carpet to linoleum or hardwood floors in your home.

nrm123

Jan 25, 2014
Parrots
Lovebird - Sherbet
thank you both for the really useful help. Because at the moment i study and work part time i am in the house at different times at different days so it is difficult to get into a real routine When i break for the summer i will have more time and hopefully with the bird getting a bit older a little less cautious over time (he is 6 months old).

Im not sure the real reason for his 'fear'. when i approach him in his cage he is ok a little bit weary of my hands, he likes to keep them in sight or will look for them but does not show major signs of distress or defensiveness.

When i have him out he likes to be ontop of his cage, i know this may not be the best place for training but i live in a small apartment and the bird feels most comfortable there. I put the cage onto the floor and sit infront about 1 meter to begin. When he relaxes i move closer, then show the millet and offer a long piece, he eats everytime so i click. Then i move closer slightly and leave the millet the same distance as it was before (so my body is closer to him) click and repeat.

I even got to the stage where i was sitting next to the cage and had him run to the front of the cage (closest to my body about 8 inches away) and he ate, then i tried millet with my hand behind it, then millet with hand under it. this is where he would start biting my hand instead of millet, and it is a lunge not a curious nibble.

But this is what i dont understand about my bird. Less than 1 hour ago we were eating food, the table is close to his cage so he could see us. I hand fed him a small piece of naan bread and he tried it from inside cage. then i tried with a grain of boiled rice and he ate that from my fingers. After about 4 pieces he realized it was my hand then was more interested in eating that (or trying). I walked away not saying anything to the bird other than a simple no dont bite. Then about 10 mins after that the cage door was open and we were sitting watching tv, he flew from his cage directly towards me and landed on my head, i kept still and he was there for about 1 min nibbling my hair, then flew off before i could get a pic.

That isnt the first time he has done that either. and he has been on my leg (and nibbled a hold through my trousers) happily. So the bird sends mixed messages!

Thanks for your help, hopefully we can get through this with a bird that would be happy to sit next to us out of the cage and go about its business without worry.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Honestly, the best place to train a bird is where they feel the most comfortable at! If that's the cage, then so be it! It's better he feels comfortable then stressed out in a new environment away from his cage.

It's also fine if training sessions only last 2-3 minutes! Actually, it's better to start out with short sessions multiple times a day, if possible, rather than one long training session! If you can only do 1-3 short training sessions in a day, that's ok, too!

The main thing with training though is to try and avoid getting bitten by backing off before the bird goes to bite. You don't have to wait 10 mins, it could be 3-5 seconds before you attempt a behavior. You always want to try and end on a good though, though.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
The rewards are whatever the bird determines them to be! :)

Different birds like different things, so only the bird can decide what is rewarding, not us! It's up to us to figure out what that thing is.

Most Reactions

Latest posts