Target Training - Quaker not getting it

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
I started target training my girls a little over a week ago.

My Quaker was the first to touch the stick but now the Sun has moved to the head of the class in that she follows the stick. I can move it to one side of the perch and she walks over to touch it

My Quaker will only touch it if it is in a reachable distance.

How do I get her to travek with it like the Sun?

I should also be mention that both these girls are not youngsters. They are going on 18 so age can be a factor.

Maybe I need to use a different treat for her ?

foxgloveparrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Aug 30, 2021
Indiana, USA
Parrots
Ziggy, Kai, and Seiji (blue, yellowface, and dilute budgies)
Jasper (yellow-naped amazon)
Lilla (senegal parrot)
Snowberry (yellow-crowned amazon)
Cricket (pacific parrotlet)
Try holding a small treat next to the stick and removing it once she gets it.
Do you use a clicker?
If not, I recommend you do; it could definitely help with this.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
Yes I have a clicker. I tried using millet instead and she did a bit better.
So should I put the treat to the tip of the stick?

I train both birds on a training perches. When try on the cage they move around too much.

Last edited:

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
This is a great video, start with a lot of just touching stick for treat. Very short sessions, no more than 5 times. Then take breaks. Parrots get bored frustration with repeating several times in a row.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
This is a great video, start with a lot of just touching stick for treat. Very short sessions, no more than 5 times. Then take breaks. Parrots get bored frustration with repeating several times in a row.
Yes I watched this video. Funny they say ideal right train between 9 and 11am before they have breakfast.

My girls are up a little before 7 and eat before 8 in the morning so I am training much earlier.

OP
F

FieryPhoenix

Jan 18, 2022
Parrots
Quaker Parrot Sun Conure
This is a great video. I watched it again last night. I watch BirdTricks.com as well as Pararot Wizzard. There are so many great resources on YouTube.

Nikki took a few steps and touched the stick today, which I was very impressed with. Sunny though I can move the stick to the end of the perch and back to the other end and she follows it. Keep in mind I have only been doing this for almost two weeks. I don't know how quickly birds are supposed to learn new things. These girls are not highly trained and they are not young baby or adolescent birds.

It is really interesting to see how they learn differently. I have different goals for each bird. With Nikki I am working more with her learning to follow and travel with the stick. This sill would be very useful for me getting her to go back into their cage. sometimes she just like chills on the top of the cage when I want her to go back in. Sunny is very good about going back inside.

With Sunny, I am doing more with targeting around my hand since sometimes she will clamp on it AFTER stepping up. Today while training she did touch my hand but then she learned to touch the stick to get the treat. I was able to get her to target the stick while stepping on my hand. She is really getting it and is coming out of her shell. It is a nice surprise since Nikki was always the trail blazer when it came to the two of them.

I am hoping that this stuff takes time. Keep in mind I am still learning too and have to refine my technique. I have seen videos on YouTube in which a bird can accomplish so much in 1 to 2 sessions. My girls are almost 18 so I would think it may take more time.

Another thing I notice is that I do have their attention when they are out. I moved from being in front of the perches to stating behind the perches, which resulted in them both turning around to face me.

These little things really impress me because these two birds are buddy birds (I have been asked if they are a couple LOL!). They are housed together and have been housed together for most of their lives (almost 17 years). I know that often times a bonded pair of birds don't respond positively to human interaction but these girls do and I feel so lucky and blessed that they do. I don't want to take these behaviors for granted. Yes, they are not perfect but guess what neither am I so we are MFEO (made for each other).

Here is a pic I took of them on their training perches after I first got them and set them up. They were a bit pricy but really great perches and they love them. They both tuning 18 soon so I am going all out for them.

Attachments

• IMG_8376.JPG
    IMG_8376.JPG
    228.8 KB · Views: 67

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I love them! Look at those two gorgeous parrots! I like the perches as well look nice.

I think target training takes time...reps, not over training by doing to many of the same things / asks in a row.

Yes I like burds tricks they care and want to help have a good grasp of behavior and shaping.

Most Reactions

Latest posts