Teach Willow to like being on shoulder?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hi, my 8-9 year old Quaker m, Willow, likes to be out of his cage a lot. But he wants to be on his basket on my lap (near my face) and for me to pet him with one or both hands. Both hands is preferred.

I’d like to get him more comfortable being on my shoulder. He doesn’t have any leg or foot problems so it’s not an issue with hanging on. I think it’s more that he likes to be able to look at my face. If he sat on my shoulder he could hide under my hair and snuggle up to my neck AND I could walk around and do other things.

Sometimes I just put him up there, if I must get the phone or mail or answer the door, but is there a good way to get him to like being on my shoulder? He will run down my arm onto my hand, or flip his wings and yell, otherwise.

Last edited:

clark_conure

Jul 14, 2017
Media
Minnesota
Parrots
A crossover Quaker Scuti (F), A Sun conure named AC, A Cinnamon Green Cheek conure Kent, and 6 budgies, Scuti Jr. (f), yellow (m), clark Jr. (m), Dot (f), Zebra(f), Machine (m).
This....is actually weird. Most Quakers are hand shy.... the shoulder is a privileged position that most birds prefer.

I'm interested in what laurasea or others have to say.

cnyguy

Apr 23, 2010
Syracuse, NY
Parrots
Quaker parrot, Ralph
Some parrots just aren't shoulder birds and maybe Willow is one of their number. If you can get Willow to stay on your shoulder, even just for a short time, rewarding him with a treat might convince him that being on a shoulder is a good thing. I'm not sure what else might work.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I will try treats on my shoulder. Probably end up with birdseed in my cleavage.

Willow insists that I must hold him and will bump or pinch me with his beak if I don’t preen or pet him.

Lucy (previous Quaker, deceased) had a bad leg and COULDNT stay on my shoulder in her last five years. That makes me wonder: Maybe Willow is more reluctant in the summer if I’m wearing a tank top or sleeveless with not much to hold on to? But my shoulders aren’t that bony. If it’s better in winter on a flannel shirt or sweater I guess I have my answer; he just can’t hang on steadily.

May 2, 2021
Media
Albums
Vermont, USA
Parrots
Stormy(M): blue Australian budgie
Picasso(F): green Australian budgie
Apollo(F): sky blue dominant pied Australian budgie
I will try treats on my shoulder. Probably end up with birdseed in my cleavage.
That's just part of owning birds, my friend. Eventually, we all end up with birdseed in places we do not want it. Bird above all.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020

saxguy64

Staff member
Super Moderator
Apr 24, 2018
Media
Albums
Maine, USA
Parrots
Tucker the Red Sided Eclectus
Baxter the YNA
Avery the CAG
Patches the Grand Eclectus, my best friend. RIP
Cuckoo the BFA RIP
I think it really comes down to the individual personality. My current two love to be on my shoulder. My first ekkie, Patches, had absolutely zero interest in being there, ever. I tried a few times, but he was really uncomfortable there and would walk back down my arm. The surface didn't matter to him. Bare skin, sweatshirt, flannel... "HIS" spot was always on my forearm, facing me so he could watch my face at all times. He'd stretch his neck out to reach up for kisses when he wanted them, which was pretty much all the time. :) ❀️

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think it really comes down to the individual personality. My current two love to be on my shoulder. My first ekkie, Patches, had absolutely zero interest in being there, ever. I tried a few times, but he was really uncomfortable there and would walk back down my arm. The surface didn't matter to him. Bare skin, sweatshirt, flannel... "HIS" spot was always on my forearm, facing me so he could watch my face at all times. He'd stretch his neck out to reach up for kisses when he wanted them, which was pretty much all the time. :) ❀️
Yup. That sounds just like Willow. He wants to gaze at me. Or rest his beak on my β€˜beak’.

I just gotta persuade him that my shoulder is BETTER especially since he can hide in my hair. Maybe I could have him on my shoulder and eat a sandwich?

It’s not that bad. And I don’t have to deal with poops as much if he wants to be carried.

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I had some success keeping Willow on my shoulder for a while on Friday afternoon. But I didn’t have any treats to give him.

I think this is why he likes being on his basket on my lap: more focused attention and smooches!

Last edited:
OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hmm. I put Willow’s basket down near the playgym tree, and came back to find him at the top of the tree, eating the dried fruit that he threw at me yesterday.

Was going to say he looked pretty happy up there, not on my lap, but now he’s looking uncomfortable and staring at me like β€˜come pick me up’. Oops, now tail fluffing and preening. He’s ok there.
Somehow the tree seems more acceptable than my shoulder. I wonder why? Of course, he can gaze at me from the tree, 4-5 feet away, but he can’t see my face from my shoulder.

CFB1C395-D4B7-4B15-9032-53996DAC7F2C.jpeg

OP
HeatherG

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
It seems the nice tree playgym is acceptable for a little while, for example if I’m using the potty, but it is otherwise not ok according to Willow. He starts to screech and flip his wings if I abandon him there.

Jasper likes the tree for a bit longer but he would also like to be β€œon” me.

I suppose I could always put a ladder from the tree playgym to my bed so if I’m reading in bed maybe they will stay on the tree for a little while. It would help if they would even stay for ten minutes while I do the other things that I cannot do on the newspaper like a reasonable bird.

Most Reactions

Latest posts