Teflon and new conure

Sid

Mar 20, 2017
Hello i just got a new 5 month old half moon conure

And me being so dumb i didnt research ... i own the bird now but my family uses teflon for pans and pots .. im terrified anything well happen to my bird i have my own room and have a window ... would it maybe help of i put a towel or something over its cage ? Im in the process of moving out but im stuck under my familya roof for now ... is there any advice anyone can give me ?:( id really appreciate it ... im gonna talk to my parents about throwing out the pans but knowing them im sure they wont :/
Is there anything i can do like maybe buy a fan or ac for my room

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Hello, and welcome to the Parrot Forums family!

Okay, here's the thing about teflon. Overheating is what causes those lethal particles to go airborne. But the temperature at which this overheating varies with each pan. Quality of manufacture or whether or not said teflon coating has ever been scratched also comes into play. So basically, teflon pans are like unstable sticks of dynamite that can go off at any time as far as your birds are concerned. (And remember, it isn't just teflon. Any nonstick pans that use PTFE or PFOA are dangerous as well. Teflon is just the most popular.)

Having ventilation and a fan can help to a degree, but remember that you might not even be aware that something is going on when it happens. Which means that by the time you get a window open and a fan on, it might be too late. And unless you live in a tropical area, leaving the fan on and window open all the time is both impractical and quite dangerous to your bird. Constant exposure to drafts kill birds too, remember. And even if you do live in a tropical area, a fan and open window wouldn't guarantee that the particles won't reach your bird. They travel on currents of air, and air is obviously reaching him/her.

My suggestion? If you're in the process of moving out, then you at least have access to some financial means. So the best way to get your parents to stop using teflon pans is to purchase some good alternatives for them. My mother came to live with us for a while and I did the same thing. Walked into the kitchen and saw her frying away on one of her teflon pans. She explained that she would never let it overheat, but I pointed out that most people don't burn a pan with the intention of doing so. It's just a moment's inattention that leads to tragedy. So I bought her a bird-safe ceramic pan. Problem solved.

israel_gcc

Mar 19, 2017
Israel
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure, b. ~Sept. 2016
I'm also a brand-new conure owner, so I'll let others with experience advise you about what precautions to take. But there are a few human engineering tips I can give you to make this safer while you're still living with your parents. (How soon are you moving out, by the way?)

Cookware isn't cheap, especially when we're talking about several pieces, so you might be right about your parents not throwing them away. Even if they promise to warn you before using the cookware, cooking is something so habitual that it would be very easy for them to forget. If they don't want to throw or give the pieces away, here's what I'd recommend:

- Provide them with alternate cookware! If it's just for a few weeks/months until you move, they might not mind using lower quality, cheaper pans. Maybe even borrow from friends/family - most people have extra pots and pans that they only take out a couple times a year, and would be willing to lend them to you short-term. Even if your parents aren't enthused about this idea, and even if they say they won't use the alternative pieces, make sure that they're at least available for convenient use "just in case".

- Ask if you can put the teflon in storage in the basement (or some other location out of the kitchen) until you move out. Short of throwing them away, this is probably the best solution if your parents are willing.

- If they insist on having them available for use: take all the teflon pieces and concentrate them in a central location (a box or cabinet). Label it with a reminder to warn you before using them, so you can take any necessary ventilation precautions. This will make it much easier for them to remember to warn you - especially if the location is a new one, that's outside their normal cooking routine.

Most of all, try to keep this issue from turning into an argument with your parents. The minute antagonism or defensiveness enters the conversation, they're much less likely to be accommodating. Use phrases like you used in your original post here: "I should have done the research first", "I know this is a big inconvenience for you", etc.

Saying "I made a mistake, and I know you're not obligated to help me, but..." gets much better results than demands, lectures, or even a simple polite request. Don't present their help with this as something you are entitled to, because that will automatically put them on the defensive. Especially since they're your parents, this could easily turn into a dynamic of "you should have known better, now deal with the consequences yourself".

Here's a general script you can use (not my actual opinion or judgement of you lol, just the kind of statements you should play up):

- Admit fault from the beginning, stress that you learned a lesson and that you'll think of these things in advance in the future. Turn it into an educational experience that's already happened, rather than a lesson they need to help you learn.
- Then ask for their help: even though you know it's going to be a huge pain for them, and they obviously aren't obligated to do all this (they already do so much for you!), but it would really help if they did.
- Obviously you'll do everything you can to make this as easy and convenient for them as possible (do all the necessary organization, labeling and purchasing yourself, bringing them breakfast in bed every day), etc etc.
- Yes, of course you trust them to remember which are the teflon pieces and which aren't! You know you're being a little paranoid, but you feel very responsible and parental toward this bird, and you would feel horrible if anything happened. It will make you feel so much better if you could just move all the pieces to a separate cabinet and put a note on it, even though intellectually you know it's not necessary. Haha, you're sure that when you have your first child you'll be the same way, right mom and dad? (Fight dirty! Bring up the grandparent instincts!)

Good luck! :)

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Both Posts above provide an excellent understanding of the issues of nonstick products and excellent interaction tools when explaining and working to help others understand the dangers.

If you would like additional information regarding Teflon, PTFE or PFOA. Use the Search button at the top of the page located at the bottom of the Header.

NOTES:
This group of coatings are just as dangerous to small children and older Adults with breathing problems.

The majority of people use too high of temperature when cooking. With the exception of a very few items, never have the temperature above medium setting. The majority of sticking and burning problems occur as a result of the cooking temperature being too high.

If you live in a multi-story home, remember that heat rises as does cooking gases. So, second floor bedrooms can collect more odors and light gases. Heavier gases will collect at the lowest level of the home. The first floor is commonly the safest.

To: israel-gcc: Welcome to the Parrot Forums! I have really enjoyed your Posts!

Most Reactions