TELL ME…. Am I using SAFE materials products hooks and toys for my quaker?

Lumi

Dec 21, 2022
Parrots
Her name is: Lumi
Species: Quaker Parrot
Type: Opaline green with yellow front and golden flecks
Born: August 2022
Can someone look over Lumi’s cage and areas and see if I should be removing anything and please give a detail why. For example: impaction in crop, choking, too big, too small, needs supervision, dangerous material, may cause cut or strangulation etc. Thanks!
Lumi is 10 months now. She loves to explore with her beak and I want her to be safe. When she was small she couldnt break through things and didnt know how to forage but she is slowly getting more curious and able to break shells and twigs etc. She also chews on everything but doesnt seem to be swallowing any of it but i could be wrong…. Better safe than sorry.
77CCDF9F-76DB-4924-A917-0A72E9264C95.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Please ask any questions about anything related to her safety and environment… thanks!
77CCDF9F-76DB-4924-A917-0A72E9264C95.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373.4 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    284.1 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    428.4 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    388 KB · Views: 36
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    270 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.2 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.3 KB · Views: 37
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    363.3 KB · Views: 35
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    379.5 KB · Views: 35
OP
L

Lumi

Dec 21, 2022
Parrots
More
image.jpg
image.jpg

Owlet

Oct 27, 2016
Colorado
Parrots
Lincoln (Eclectus), Apollo (Cockatiel), Aster (GCC)
Okay, I'm about to nitpick everything. So keep in mind what I am about to say isn't the end all be all. Some parrots can use these products with little to no issue ever but there have been recorded incidents with some things.
1675057959118.png
1675057976612.png
1675057939018.png

- The colorful plastic C hooks you have everywhere, those can cause potential problems if the bird gets their beak stuck in the unsecured gap. Now usually the big ones aren't an issue with small birds as the circumference it too big for it to get reasonably stuck anywhere, but its a precaution to keep in mind.
1675057996653.png

- The white rope used on the toy in the first few pictures, I could be wrong but it LOOKS like cotton. Which is where most issues arise with crop impaction. The bird chews on the rope and the small undigestable fibers get stuck in the crop leading to the impaction. Now DO NOT throw away the toy. Simply go to your local hardware stores or order some jute, hemp, or sisal rope online. Now make sure it isn't treated with anything. Its best to buy these in person so you can smell the rope, if it smells like gas, walk the other way.

image.png

These bells ^, cut them off and toss them. It's very easy for toes, tongue, or beak to get caught in the slit trying to get the shiny jingle jangle. The bells bellow tend to be safer as the bird cannot access the jingle jangle, so it'll still make the ringing that they oh so love but they cannot hurt themselves on it. If you get one where they CAN access the jingle jangle make sure it is closed and has no slits for them to get stuck on, like the 2nd image.

51CkhyrRqCL.jpg

1675057777200.png

1675057824622.png
pear-shaped-snap-hook-detail.jpg

^ These kinds of hooks, ditch them. Especially spring loaded carribeaners like the 2nd image. Easy for beaks and toes to get caught. Better options below. The pear hook (first image) is okay but you have to really make sure it stays screwed shut, so check regularly. The 2nd (quicklinks) is good and better if you can find spring loaded as it reduces issues that the pear hook has. Third has some debate but I find them just as safe as the pear links. Just have to make sure the bird doesnt worm off the tubing that covers the opening. (Note: I use to be able to find these sold together but now I am only finding them sold seperately. So if you want to go the 3rd route you have to look up "c links" and "c links link locks")
s-l500.jpg
Z8pAlriLR46u._UX300_TTW__.jpg
1675058519694.png

1675058648808.png

^ Get rid of that waterbottle. I know that dispenser type waterbottles seem so nice because they cant wash their food in them or splash it around or whatever, but really theyre just a host for bacteria.

1675058722356.png

^ Get rid of that bead and beads/wooden pieces like it. If the wood is shiny, it has been varnished/painted and is no longer safe for the bird. I like to get my own plain wooden pieces and dye them myself. It's pretty simple to dye your own wood. Just get like 75% isopropyl alcohol, measure out 2 cups, add a tablespoon of wilton gel food coloring and mix it in. You can adjust the food coloring ratio to get wanted pigmentation. Some people have other methods of doing this but that's whats worked for me. I let the wood soak in it for like 10 seconds and then pull it out and leave it on paper towels to dry. I live in a dry climate so this works for me but you might need to bake yours if you live in a more humid environment. The alcohol should help prevent mold as it evaporates faster than water but if you live in a more humid environment it might not be enough.

I don't see any other glaring issues, just make sure all your hardware is stainless steal as other metals can lead to metal poisoning. Galvanized metals can also be dangerous.

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
What a great play area for Lumi! I'm definitely not showing these pictures to my flock, they would be quite jealous:) She's a gorgeous baby and she looks like such a sweetheart!

All birds are different, and what works for one won't work for another. I thought I'd mention some of the things that work for my birds that you're using, just so you have another opinion on them. We all know our own birds best and we do what we think is best for them.

I use the plastic links like you have as hangers on a lot of my birds' toys, and none have ever gotten caught in them. I have read of people whose bird got stuck in them, and I also know many people who exclusively use these with no issues. When I first started using them, I only allowed them to have toys with these links when I was there to keep an eye on them. Fortunately, only a couple of mine were interested in the plastic links so for them I use rope or quick links.

If you are using metal links, the only ones I would recommend are the ones that Owlet has above as #2 quick links. I've had issues before with pear links being unscrewed by my birds, and if they turn it the wrong way it's easy for a leg to get stuck in it. (The smaller end should always be at the top).
The metal used can be stainless steel or nickel plated. I usually get the nickel plated as it's cheaper.

What kind of rope is the green you're holding out?

image-jpg.47200

There is a rope that makes toy making easy. It's called Poly rope and can be found at online bird stores who sell toy parts. This type is specifically for birds, and is different from poly rope in hardware stores or Walmart. It should only be purchased from somewhere that sells bird things.

Poly Rope

I also love to use paper rope - it's not only easy to work with but the birds love it. It's nice to have a toy where the rope is just as much fun for them to destroy as the things on it:)

Paper String (Rope)

No matter what kind of rope you use, make sure that it is knotted tightly without any loops that Lumi could get her head or feet caught in. In this picture, I'd suggest tightening up what looks like loose loops that are holding up the seagrass mat.

77ccdf9f-76db-4924-a917-0a72e9264c95-jpeg.47198

If your bird is ingesting the cotton rope, I agree about removing it. It looks like she may be just fraying the top, so if you're worried she's ingesting some of it you could clip all the frayed parts down to the knot. It doesn't look like she's chewing the rope and knots underneath at all, and because this is an out of cage toy, you could watch her closely when she plays with it if you decide to leave it as is.
I use rope perches in most of my cages, thankfully I only have a couple of birds who chew on them rather than fray so they get other kinds of rope. I don't make any toys with the natural, unbleached cotton rope (that's the only kind that's safe to use) because it's so expensive, but I buy toys from our local bird store made with it.
This part doesn't apply to you (and hopefully never will), but it is especially helpful with my pluckers - they preen the rope rather than pulling out their feathers at least part of the time, which is a win.

I also dye my own wood, I use 70% alcohol and food grade food colouring from the grocery store. I use Wilton if I want a bright red, but have found that the food colouring works really well for all my other colours. There is even a pack of colours that are neon with pink, purple, lime green and an electric blue. I love using those!
I only mix a little at a time so the colours are bold, and I use sponge paint brushes from the Dollar store and paint it onto the wood. This way it dries quicker because only the outer part of the wood gets wet.
I dry mine on cake cooling racks with newspaper underneath to catch any extra dye.

I have a couple of friends with quakers, and they will give them a stack of popsicle sticks in a basket. Their birds start building with them and it can keep them busy for hours.

I want to wish you a belated welcome to the forum! I'm really glad you joined us:)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
One thing that has not been mentioned - all metal objects, hooks, bells and fasteners used should be made from stainless steel. Metal parts that are steel with zinc plating should not be used, as zinc becomes a toxic metal if ingested. Easy to tell the difference, steel zinc plated parts will readily jump to a magnet, stainless steel will have a very feeble attraction to a magnet, if at all.

OP
L

Lumi

Dec 21, 2022
Parrots
Okay, I'm about to nitpick everything. So keep in mind what I am about to say isn't the end all be all. Some parrots can use these products with little to no issue ever but there have been recorded incidents with some things.
View attachment 47213View attachment 47214View attachment 47212
- The colorful plastic C hooks you have everywhere, those can cause potential problems if the bird gets their beak stuck in the unsecured gap. Now usually the big ones aren't an issue with small birds as the circumference it too big for it to get reasonably stuck anywhere, but its a precaution to keep in mind.
View attachment 47215
- The white rope used on the toy in the first few pictures, I could be wrong but it LOOKS like cotton. Which is where most issues arise with crop impaction. The bird chews on the rope and the small undigestable fibers get stuck in the crop leading to the impaction. Now DO NOT throw away the toy. Simply go to your local hardware stores or order some jute, hemp, or sisal rope online. Now make sure it isn't treated with anything. Its best to buy these in person so you can smell the rope, if it smells like gas, walk the other way.

image.png

These bells ^, cut them off and toss them. It's very easy for toes, tongue, or beak to get caught in the slit trying to get the shiny jingle jangle. The bells bellow tend to be safer as the bird cannot access the jingle jangle, so it'll still make the ringing that they oh so love but they cannot hurt themselves on it. If you get one where they CAN access the jingle jangle make sure it is closed and has no slits for them to get stuck on, like the 2nd image.

51CkhyrRqCL.jpg

View attachment 47210

View attachment 47211
pear-shaped-snap-hook-detail.jpg

^ These kinds of hooks, ditch them. Especially spring loaded carribeaners like the 2nd image. Easy for beaks and toes to get caught. Better options below. The pear hook (first image) is okay but you have to really make sure it stays screwed shut, so check regularly. The 2nd (quicklinks) is good and better if you can find spring loaded as it reduces issues that the pear hook has. Third has some debate but I find them just as safe as the pear links. Just have to make sure the bird doesnt worm off the tubing that covers the opening. (Note: I use to be able to find these sold together but now I am only finding them sold seperately. So if you want to go the 3rd route you have to look up "c links" and "c links link locks")
s-l500.jpg
Z8pAlriLR46u._UX300_TTW__.jpg
View attachment 47216
View attachment 47217
^ Get rid of that waterbottle. I know that dispenser type waterbottles seem so nice because they cant wash their food in them or splash it around or whatever, but really theyre just a host for bacteria.

View attachment 47218
^ Get rid of that bead and beads/wooden pieces like it. If the wood is shiny, it has been varnished/painted and is no longer safe for the bird. I like to get my own plain wooden pieces and dye them myself. It's pretty simple to dye your own wood. Just get like 75% isopropyl alcohol, measure out 2 cups, add a tablespoon of wilton gel food coloring and mix it in. You can adjust the food coloring ratio to get wanted pigmentation. Some people have other methods of doing this but that's whats worked for me. I let the wood soak in it for like 10 seconds and then pull it out and leave it on paper towels to dry. I live in a dry climate so this works for me but you might need to bake yours if you live in a more humid environment. The alcohol should help prevent mold as it evaporates faster than water but if you live in a more humid environment it might not be enough.

I don't see any other glaring issues, just make sure all your hardware is stainless steal as other metals can lead to metal poisoning. Galvanized metals can also be dangerous.
This seems like easy fixes. I bought some non treated wood and have extra c hooks and pear hooks. I think I will change them out first. I have non treated wood blocks i can easily replace the toys with and sisal rope (she tries to play with the cotton thing and preen it. Thats why I put it away at top. I will just change it out since I have the option. Only thing that will take time is changing the bells as I dont have those kind. Ill just remove and put maraca thing for now. Appreciate it.

OP
L

Lumi

Dec 21, 2022
Parrots
One thing that has not been mentioned - all metal objects, hooks, bells and fasteners used should be made from stainless steel. Metal parts that are steel with zinc plating should not be used, as zinc becomes a toxic metal if ingested. Easy to tell the difference, steel zinc plated parts will readily jump to a magnet, stainless steel will have a very feeble attraction to a magnet, if at all
One thing that has not been mentioned - all metal objects, hooks, bells and fasteners used should be made from stainless steel. Metal parts that are steel with zinc plating should not be used, as zinc becomes a toxic metal if ingested. Easy to tell the difference, steel zinc plated parts will readily jump to a magnet, stainless steel will have a very feeble attraction to a magnet, if at all.
ill give it a go i have a magnut, what if other things stick?

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Only steel with stick to a magnet. And steel will always be zinc plated, which is the toxic part of this.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
What a great play area for Lumi! I'm definitely not showing these pictures to my flock, they would be quite jealous:) She's a gorgeous baby and she looks like such a sweetheart!

All birds are different, and what works for one won't work for another. I thought I'd mention some of the things that work for my birds that you're using, just so you have another opinion on them. We all know our own birds best and we do what we think is best for them.

I use the plastic links like you have as hangers on a lot of my birds' toys, and none have ever gotten caught in them. I have read of people whose bird got stuck in them, and I also know many people who exclusively use these with no issues. When I first started using them, I only allowed them to have toys with these links when I was there to keep an eye on them. Fortunately, only a couple of mine were interested in the plastic links so for them I use rope or quick links.

If you are using metal links, the only ones I would recommend are the ones that Owlet has above as #2 quick links. I've had issues before with pear links being unscrewed by my birds, and if they turn it the wrong way it's easy for a leg to get stuck in it. (The smaller end should always be at the top).
The metal used can be stainless steel or nickel plated. I usually get the nickel plated as it's cheaper.

What kind of rope is the green you're holding out?

image-jpg.47200

There is a rope that makes toy making easy. It's called Poly rope and can be found at online bird stores who sell toy parts. This type is specifically for birds, and is different from poly rope in hardware stores or Walmart. It should only be purchased from somewhere that sells bird things.

Poly Rope

I also love to use paper rope - it's not only easy to work with but the birds love it. It's nice to have a toy where the rope is just as much fun for them to destroy as the things on it:)

Paper String (Rope)

No matter what kind of rope you use, make sure that it is knotted tightly without any loops that Lumi could get her head or feet caught in. In this picture, I'd suggest tightening up what looks like loose loops that are holding up the seagrass mat.

77ccdf9f-76db-4924-a917-0a72e9264c95-jpeg.47198

If your bird is ingesting the cotton rope, I agree about removing it. It looks like she may be just fraying the top, so if you're worried she's ingesting some of it you could clip all the frayed parts down to the knot. It doesn't look like she's chewing the rope and knots underneath at all, and because this is an out of cage toy, you could watch her closely when she plays with it if you decide to leave it as is.
I use rope perches in most of my cages, thankfully I only have a couple of birds who chew on them rather than fray so they get other kinds of rope. I don't make any toys with the natural, unbleached cotton rope (that's the only kind that's safe to use) because it's so expensive, but I buy toys from our local bird store made with it.
This part doesn't apply to you (and hopefully never will), but it is especially helpful with my pluckers - they preen the rope rather than pulling out their feathers at least part of the time, which is a win.

I also dye my own wood, I use 70% alcohol and food grade food colouring from the grocery store. I use Wilton if I want a bright red, but have found that the food colouring works really well for all my other colours. There is even a pack of colours that are neon with pink, purple, lime green and an electric blue. I love using those!
I only mix a little at a time so the colours are bold, and I use sponge paint brushes from the Dollar store and paint it onto the wood. This way it dries quicker because only the outer part of the wood gets wet.
I dry mine on cake cooling racks with newspaper underneath to catch any extra dye.

I have a couple of friends with quakers, and they will give them a stack of popsicle sticks in a basket. Their birds start building with them and it can keep them busy for hours.

I want to wish you a belated welcome to the forum! I'm really glad you joined us:)
Wow! What a lucky birdie you have! One thing for sure- even if you make a few of the recommended modifications your lucky bird will never be bored in such an amazing habitat! My budgie Rocky would have a blast playing with all those fun perches, toys, and textures! Like Terry57 says, I don't dare show Rocky a picture of it- he would be so envious! Have you considered a career in Avian Interior Design? Don't laugh! I lived in the Los Angeles area for 30 years and there are a lot of wealthy bird lovers out there that would pay good money for a custom designed birdie playground for their feathered children! 😉

Most Reactions

Latest posts