Temperament differences between M and F Green Cheek conures?

Whistler

Aug 10, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Meyers, English budgies, American budgie
Hello, all - I did try to search to find an answer, as I'm sure this has been asked plenty of times, but couldn't find much beyond breeding questions. I'm thinking of adopting a GCC (don't care about color) and care most about temperament - of course I'm hoping for a sweet, even-tempered, not-biting-as-a-default-behavior, companion. I understand it really depends on the individual bird more than the sex, but if everything else is equal, would you suggest a male or a female? Or...a nonbinary bird? Thanks in advance.

bonitabird59

Apr 12, 2022
GCCs are known as the biters of all conures. It can be trained to a point, but they communicate quite a bit with their beak and pressure. I dont think gender plays much of a role, but I've heard and in my experience, the males tend to be a bit more bold.

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
The males can be “bold” as in “having illicit relationships with their toys” bold, too.

Sometimes I was embarrassed to look into that cage!

(This bird was desperately in love with my Quaker and crushed when she passed of old age.)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
"a sweet, even-tempered, not-biting-as-a-default-behavior," LOL, thats what every parrot owner hopes for! And to some extent nature is involved, however nurture is more. Parrots are all about what you put into them.

OP
Whistler

Whistler

Aug 10, 2022
Parrots
Congo African Grey, Meyers, English budgies, American budgie
Thanks for your responses so far. So here's a basic question - do any of you have consistently even-tempered, nonbiting green cheeks?

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Thanks for your responses so far. So here's a basic question - do any of you have consistently even-tempered, nonbiting green cheeks?
Hmm, I think my Gcc Tom is pretty even IF I read him right.
He's a real darling, but when he wants me to leave him alone he lets me know, not usually by biting, more like jumping out of my hands or flying away.
The good thing about Gcc is they are usually pretty obvious when they're gonna bite but then again sometimes I miss Toms 'hardening of his gaze' and I get bit.
His mood fluctuates more rapidly than say my Quaker but not to the point where he's unpredictable.

Stitchthestitch

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 9, 2020
Manchester, uk
Parrots
Albie - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure - Hatch date 14 Dec 2019 - Gotcha date - 4 March 2020
with Albie ,i like to think we are past default biting just because i look at him wrong

But , we have put a lot of work into him with bite pressure training and being very consistent in the consequences of a hard bit .

We have to read albies body language very carefully and watch his mooods closely to avoid bites and for the most part we do very well . He gives me very clear singnals when he doesnt want to do something usually a head shake or he backs up . A head shake i can usually persuade him with food to step up , a back up is a no go and i will get bit even if i offer his most favorite food .
(He will snath the food ,toss it and then bite )

He is adorable , sweet , moody and cuddly but he can be nippy when the mood takes his fancy.

Most Reactions

Latest posts