Temptation cat treats and my African Grey

Donn Busby

Apr 6, 2022
Parrots
African gray
Every morning my cats line up for their Temptation cat treats. I often feel Yata looks on with high interest or even jealousy that she is not getting them. This morning she happened to be on the floor and as soon as the cats lined up in their arc on the floor in front of me Yata joined them so I had three cats and a parrot looking up with expectation. Googling Temptations I got this independant description of contents: chicken by-product meal, ground corn, animal fat, wheat flour, and dried meat by-products. Should I feed Yata any amount of these treats? I appreciate any input.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Every morning my cats line up for their Temptation cat treats. I often feel Yata looks on with high interest or even jealousy that she is not getting them. This morning she happened to be on the floor and as soon as the cats lined up in their arc on the floor in front of me Yata joined them so I had three cats and a parrot looking up with expectation. Googling Temptations I got this independant description of contents: chicken by-product meal, ground corn, animal fat, wheat flour, and dried meat by-products. Should I feed Yata any amount of these treats? I appreciate any input.
I wouldn't feed your bird those treats because of the chicken by-product meal the animal fat and the meat by-products which are from any livestock animal, which could be from any livestock animal. You should give your bird something new that they love, there's several treat recipes on here that are great and many birds love them. I just wouldn't risk feeding anything with animal by-products to your parrot.

OP
D

Donn Busby

Apr 6, 2022
Parrots
African gray
I think its the attention and rituals fascinating her, you could substitute any treat for her and she'd be happy
Probably true, but she is such a picky eater I have no good substitute. It is likely she would turn down the kitty treats even if she were offered one. Thanks for the response.

PyroParrot

Parrot of the Month 🏆
Dec 30, 2021
Parrots
Sunny: Sun conure, hatch 2/2021
MY SUN huh, capps for some reason…but My son loooooves the dog kibble. I take her with me sometimes to get his kibbles in the garage- she will jump into his dish and start flinging kibble all over. When she finds “The One”, that one, special kibble that meets size, weight, smell, density and shape- oh YEAH!!! Chomp chomp! But this is high quality kibble- no meal, filers etc. unfortunatly costs as much as prime rib😖
I would totally spend some time reading the ingredients on the dog food/ dog treat bags. Then go down the ‘Google Hole’ to really understand what is meant by some of the terms. You will be horrified!

Henderbird

Apr 7, 2022
Canada
Parrots
Munchkin the Sun Conure!
Many great recipes on the diet section of parrot forums that I think would be so helpful for you! Even for picky eaters!
Plethora of information found on there and will get you on the right track!

Most Reactions