Terrible parrot ownership on YouTube!

saurian

Sep 26, 2019
My room. 24/7.
Parrots
Mister, Budgie, 2008-17
I just watched a video of a macaw and a Boxer dog- a hazardous situation. The bird is perched on a chair while the dog plays and dances around. The owner seems to think the whole thing is funny. The bird seems to be very stressed, repeatedly opening its beak and jolting at the dog. It's all fun and games until Mr. Dog decides the bird is not welcome. This kind stuff really pi**** me off. Sorry if this upsets you guys I just had to vent!

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
We find such displays horribly disturbing and ban them from the forum if posted. Videos and pics are removed with strong educational rebuttal. We don't even permit seemingly peaceful pairings of mixed species in close proximity. Because it looks good until it doesn't..... :(

Ezekiell

Jan 31, 2016
Sydney, Australia
Parrots
Māui (white bellied caique)
The lack of education about bird needs and body language is truely disturbing. When we did our last visit with Māui at the shop a few days again the lady owner had someone come in trying to return a budgie cage and accrouments because he didnā€™t want the budgies anymore, problem was heā€™d let the budgies ā€œgo freeā€ and totally thought that was ok. The owner flipped her lid because those budgies were sent to a certain death and she tried to educate the guy but he simply didnā€™t want to know, he told her that what she was saying was untrue and theyā€™d be fine because ā€œthey can flyā€.
Meanwhile I was backing away from the idiot with Māui as fast as possible because I didnā€™t want Māui to try to ā€˜make a friendā€™ with a person so clearly unsuited to keeping birds.

On another note, I know that Iā€™m going to have to introduce Māui to mums little cavialoer King Charles, Kuma, only so that family gatherings are relatively peaceful. It does worry me a little bit because I can just see Kuma getting over excited and Māui getting really uncomfortable, but I guess the difference is that I will he supervising so incredibly closely and wonā€™t trust my mother at all (she would likely behave similarly to the guy in the video cause she just doesnā€™t get birds and never has)!

Valyndris

Apr 24, 2019
Canada
Parrots
Jacob the blue and gold macaw
That is so sad, I see a lot of parrots on YouTube that unfortunately get mistreated whether it's abuse from other animals or lack of care from the owner (no toys and such). It happens and there is nothing we can really do about it so I try to just ignore it.

I have my macaw Jacob and another animal, I never let them close to each other as they would want to eat each other. If they do meet it is at a safe distance or behind glass where they can't get to each other (other pet lives in a tank). Jacob likes the other pet and calls him a pretty bird (he's not a bird) but I would never let them close.

I'll end it there before I start venting about it too.

P.S. Round cages drive me insane and should not exist.

OP
saurian

saurian

Sep 26, 2019
My room. 24/7.
Parrots
Mister, Budgie, 2008-17
We find such displays horribly disturbing and ban them from the forum if posted. Videos and pics are removed with strong educational rebuttal. We don't even permit seemingly peaceful pairings of mixed species in close proximity. Because it looks good until it doesn't..... :(
That's why I didn't post the link. To respect the rules, other member's emotions and also to make sure I'm in good standing.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
That's why I didn't post the link. To respect the rules, other member's emotions and also to make sure I'm in good standing.

Thank you, you do, and you are! :)

Inger

Parrot of the Month šŸ†
Mar 20, 2017
Everett, WA
Parrots
Bumble - Pacific (or Celestial) Parrotlet hatched 02/19/17
UGHHHHH I hate people sometimes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aspie_Aviphile

Jul 19, 2018
England
Parrots
Biddy, budgie, departed 2nd Sept 2018; Bo, Indian Ringneck, 5th Feb 2020; </3
The lack of education about bird needs and body language is truely disturbing. When we did our last visit with Māui at the shop a few days again the lady owner had someone come in trying to return a budgie cage and accrouments because he didnā€™t want the budgies anymore, problem was heā€™d let the budgies ā€œgo freeā€ and totally thought that was ok. The owner flipped her lid because those budgies were sent to a certain death and she tried to educate the guy but he simply didnā€™t want to know, he told her that what she was saying was untrue and theyā€™d be fine because ā€œthey can flyā€.
Meanwhile I was backing away from the idiot with Māui as fast as possible because I didnā€™t want Māui to try to ā€˜make a friendā€™ with a person so clearly unsuited to keeping birds.

On another note, I know that Iā€™m going to have to introduce Māui to mums little cavialoer King Charles, Kuma, only so that family gatherings are relatively peaceful. It does worry me a little bit because I can just see Kuma getting over excited and Māui getting really uncomfortable, but I guess the difference is that I will he supervising so incredibly closely and wonā€™t trust my mother at all (she would likely behave similarly to the guy in the video cause she just doesnā€™t get birds and never has)!

Not that I'm condoning it at all, but wouldn't healthy budgies stand a good chance released in Australia, or most birds in their native lands? Unless they were English type budgies?

Most Reactions

Latest posts