Thank you and Little Bird Update

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Bebee - Blue and Gold Macaw,
Little Bird - Goffins Cockatoo,
Mica and Daffy, greatly missed
Hi All! I received the email about Jim passing away and it was shocking and heart breaking. My heart goes out to everyone who knew him.
It really made me want to stop by and say THANK YOU for all the time and energy and kindness everyone puts in here. This community was INVALUABLE when I adopted LB (Little Bird). Even after owning birds most of my life, an adult cockatoo is just a little bit different in my opinion and the support I found here was wonderful. I wanted to give everyone an update on how well we are doing too.
SHE (he laid an egg :LOL:) is doing great! We had a pretty big issue when she flew at my face and bit me right between the eyes on the bridge of my nose so badly I needed to get it glued at the hospital. The amount of blood was terrifying. I never had a face wound before, apparently they bleed...a lot. I was VERY lucky it wasn't worse. I use a plastic face shield now just to be safe. To this day I cannot figure out the trigger and she has never bitten me like that before or since. Never knew Goffins could fly so fast either, I had no time to move or even stick a hand up to block her! I know this is controversial but it resulted in a nice wing clipping for her. The bite occurred after I let her wings grow out. But I healed and life moves on, I still adore her and she still gets lots of out of cage time.
LB loves to dance. She hops and flips her wings and dips and bobs. It's a joy to see. She just loves music. When we watch movies, sometimes she starts to jam and of course, it's a movie so the music doesn't last long, so she will just stop and look, as if to say what happened to my song??
Her diet is much improved. I made a basic bird bread recipe using pureed fruits and vegetables instead of whole or chopped as well as ground up pellets and it was the transition I needed for her to start eating fruits, veggies and pellets separately. She now has fresh fruits and veggies in the am and her soaked, warmed bird bread and a scoop of nice seed mix in the evening along with access to pellets throughout the day. She's gained a good 20 grams of weight and is no longer underweight and skinny.
She plays with so many toys now too! That was one of the concerns I posted about when I first got her and the difference is amazing. She isn't so clingy and can amuse herself quite well even when she is outside of the cage.
She's also made progress with my husband and will happily give him her head/crest for him to pet when she is inside her cage. :)

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Oh mica, I admire your bravery! My little lorikeet hen Lilly would attack me quite relentlessly all breeding-season long, all 5 or 6 months of it without a break, but she was tiny and while she did inflict some damage it was NEVER to the scale that LB was capable of! Congratulations on all the progress you have made together, and don't forget to share some pics too, will you please? 🙏

OP
mica21493

mica21493

Dec 12, 2019
Eastern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Bebee - Blue and Gold Macaw,
Little Bird - Goffins Cockatoo,
Mica and Daffy, greatly missed
I think withstanding 5-6 months of attacks every breeding season takes a special kind of bravery too! r2CTV7UwRWOWDOCvzoVpoQ.jpg
I love sharing photos, I have so many of her, lol. The first one she's dancing. The one on her back..she was so darn proud of stealing a tissue, she flopped on her back and started shredding it despite me trying to take it away from her. She loves her cozy new fleece toy (wire this time, not plastic since she chews through everything, lol). She loves nibbling ice cubes. And I think that pic is one of the first of her after a bath. It took a long time to get her used to the phone so I could take good photos and I've only recently been able to get videos. My husband keeps threatening to make her her own YouTube channel because her videos are so hysterical :giggle:
pehkbaxuRK6FInixEZnfJw.jpgUxbEHoY1RCCNzolTnwnsOQ.jpgFJWGHQMQTeCqCkXBBQR%1A.jpgpdFeQmzeQsCt0DvdKyaQFg.jpg

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Thanks so much for recognizing our beloved Jim!

Excited with LB progress!! Goffins are magnificent and vastly underrated parrots, so endearing and full of joyous life. Lovely update!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts