Thanks for the comments

Mike Rowley

Jan 17, 2022
Parrots
African Grey
Pleased to say that after 2 weeks of worrying about my Congo grey not wanting to do a lot, he is slowly coming round I think. Once I opened the top of his cage he straight away emerged and quite happily explores his cage all day. When i just had the door open he never moved from his perch. He will take food from hand but will not allow me to get too familiar with him and backs away if i try to get him to come onto my hand. He looks at me and makes gestures as if he wants to fly to me but doesn't. Am I doing the right thing by just waiting for him to feel safe with me? Is there any time limit on bonding? Someone said it can take as long as six months for the trust to established, and although I'm happy to wait that long ( and longer), it would be nice to get some info on how to shorten that time. He's a beautiful bird and I would be grateful for any advice. Cheers now Mike Rowley

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Greys are naturally skittish, keen and intelligent observers of their environment. Close bonding can take several months of progress with occasional setbacks. Working at his pace fosters trust and builds self confidence. Judicious use of favorite treats as rewards hastens the process. A favored thread filled with ideas: https://www.parrotforums.com/threads/tips-for-bonding-and-building-trust.49144/

A non-judgemental question about "top" of cage. Is it a "clam shell" hinged design with perch/dowel used to lock in open position? Please know these can be extremely dangerous if retainer dislodges, resulting in one or both doors slamming down, potentially causing injury. Many folks lock them shut or use very tightly fitting materials, frequently inspect security, and closely monitor.

We love pics, feel free to upload!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts