Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
So I've had my GCC for about 7 months now, the place I got him from said they didn't know his hatch date but that he's roughly 5-6 months old (most of my birds are rescues but he stole my heart when I saw him) I thought if I just took the harness out everyday, he'd not get so angry at it, he'll stick his head through the wing or head loops about 3-4 times before he gets fed up, I give him a treat each time he interacts with it. How do you guys train your birds to tolerate harnesses? How long did it take?

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I knew it was going to take a while, but part of the problem is me, I don't train him with the harness everyday because I don't wanna upset him, I train him formally everyday, flight, tricks, and targeting.

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Your gonna be surprised, if you haven't been already, how quick the learning speeds up once you establish a set time and routine for training. Salty and I been at it so long , he learns new tricks like in 1 or 2 tries. It is amazing, and I;ve had some smart dogs and a really smart horse. Salty beats them all. Hope your lil GCC is the same.

OP
zERo

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Yeah, he catches on pretty quickly, he learned to take everything out of a box fast, but doesn't get how to put it all back! I tried training him with the harness again after I'd formally trained him, he seemed to remember me doing it when I first got him because he stuck his head right in the loop without me telling him too

Most Reactions

Latest posts