The Big Announcement

Mallory

Jul 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
YNA hen "Greenleaf", Black Capped x Green Cheek Hybrid "Eva", CAG (hatched 1/1/2016), European Starling "Koda"
We've had Eva and Greenleaf for awhile, and they have settled in well. I've settled into a comfortable routine with them too. I feel like we have so much more attention to give than they need or even want every day, being rather independent birds, and we have been thinking and talking and mulling over whether to get another bird and what kind of bird we would want. I don't ever want to be that person who keeps collecting parrots to the point they don't give any of them enough attention...so we made a list of every parrot species we would like to own in our lives, and narrowed it down to 6 including the 2 we currently own (large macaw - thinking catalina or camelot, medium too, Hahn's macaw, African grey). I'm sure there will be some conures or other little birds but none of them made the list for now, we just love the idea of larger birds. We then narrowed the four remaining species down to two relatively apartment-friendly species (Hahn's macaw, African grey). I was hoping to finally meet some parrots and maybe make a decision on our trip to Austin but as I mentioned in another post none of the breeders nor the bird store have available babies. It's an off time of year too I guess?

Anyway...today I had an opportunity to put a deposit on one of two African grey chicks, just two weeks old. The breeder gave me a great impression and I got a better feeling than I did from most of the Texas stores/breeders we have looked at. When I called back to make a decision after getting information from the breeder and talking with my fiance awhile, one had already sold - eek! - and my fiance and I decided that we were ready and this was the bird.

I am told she (tentatively, she will be sexed officially in a few weeks) will be ready late March or maybe early April and we are so excited to be bringing an African grey into our lives! We are also very aware of the amount of work and responsibility involved in raising her and plan to do everything to make her life enriching. As I am currently home almost 24/7 this is the perfect time for me to raise a young parrot although I will definitely have to work to make sure she maintains a level of independence. :) That will be the hardest part!

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
Congratulations. I, too, got my Grey from a wonderful breeder/family member. I was able to interact with him all during his babyhood and he turned out to be a well-adusted, friendly, brave, fully feathered mature boy. I wish you well on your journey and I can't wait to read posts about your new baby.

GambotheGreyt

Feb 8, 2024
Parrots
Currently.. congo african grey
We've had Eva and Greenleaf for awhile, and they have settled in well. I've settled into a comfortable routine with them too. I feel like we have so much more attention to give than they need or even want every day, being rather independent birds, and we have been thinking and talking and mulling over whether to get another bird and what kind of bird we would want. I don't ever want to be that person who keeps collecting parrots to the point they don't give any of them enough attention...so we made a list of every parrot species we would like to own in our lives, and narrowed it down to 6 including the 2 we currently own (large macaw - thinking catalina or camelot, medium too, Hahn's macaw, African grey). I'm sure there will be some conures or other little birds but none of them made the list for now, we just love the idea of larger birds. We then narrowed the four remaining species down to two relatively apartment-friendly species (Hahn's macaw, African grey). I was hoping to finally meet some parrots and maybe make a decision on our trip to Austin but as I mentioned in another post none of the breeders nor the bird store have available babies. It's an off time of year too I guess?

Anyway...today I had an opportunity to put a deposit on one of two African grey chicks, just two weeks old. The breeder gave me a great impression and I got a better feeling than I did from most of the Texas stores/breeders we have looked at. When I called back to make a decision after getting information from the breeder and talking with my fiance awhile, one had already sold - eek! - and my fiance and I decided that we were ready and this was the bird.

I am told she (tentatively, she will be sexed officially in a few weeks) will be ready late March or maybe early April and we are so excited to be bringing an African grey into our lives! We are also very aware of the amount of work and responsibility involved in raising her and plan to do everything to make her life enriching. As I am currently home almost 24/7 this is the perfect time for me to raise a young parrot although I will definitely have to work to make sure she maintains a level of independence. :) That will be the hardest part!
Well now 8 years later, how is your AG? 😁

Most Reactions