The Dangers of Stunting in Handfed Psittacines

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think this is a great link for anyone looking to raise chicks -

Maybe Admins can turn it into a sticky?

http://www.parrots.org/pdfs/all_abo...8g7yyAkDHxgZKSHOd-Y4JkZQwzquGiovzKpDJkU0PBjX8

Thanks for the article! I've talked a little on stunting, and delayed weaning and its do good to get info out there.

I've noticed that many parrots are seemingly getting smaller. When I met quakers 20 years ago they were huge. Old weight references have them 125-145 grams, now a days around 94-110 is listed. Plus they look smaller.
I've parrot sit a wold caught African grey, way huge than the ones I see Today.. same with Amazon, I've met some that were collected fir zoos, way larger than the pet ones I see...

Anyway, I think its interesting

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
The over breeding (better stated: inbreeding) of the nominate (northern) Blue-Fronted Amazon is a perfect example of the vast reduction in size and muting of color to a point that they fell-out of favor with buyers.

Great Article!

Last edited:

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
NOTE: EB Cravens is a well-known Breeder /Writer of near all things Parrot. That said, he is (rightfully) protective of this writings and commonly requires permission prior to use of his works. Assure that you have obtained his approval to provide his works and provide the appropriate acknowledgements.

texsize

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Oct 23, 2015
Media
so-cal
Parrots
1 YNA (Bingo)
1 OWA (Plumas R.I.P.)
1 RLA (Pacho R.I.P.)
2 GCA(Luna,Merlin) The Twins
1 Congo AG (Bella)
5 Cockatiels
Says at the bottom to forward the message.
I don’t see how you can get in trouble posting it.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Says at the bottom to forward the message.
I don’t see how you can get in trouble posting it.

It is a fine edge when there is counting statements with Documents. But, the controlling statement is the stated status of a Copyrighted Document! No one is likely going to jail or dragged into a Courtroom.

"Copyright EB Cravens 2005. All rights reserved.
Parts or whole may not be reprinted without express written permission of the author."

OP
S

Saash

Jan 13, 2021
Durban, South Africa
Parrots
Eclectus
NOTE: EB Cravens is a well-known Breeder /Writer of near all things Parrot. That said, he is (rightfully) protective of this writings and commonly requires permission prior to use of his works. Assure that you have obtained his approval to provide his works and provide the appropriate acknowledgements.

Thanks for that concern - for this reason I posted it as a link, Instead of copying the text as a post. It is as is, in original format, with full acknowlegement - no plagiarism and no financial gain for spreading the useful insights

Most Reactions

Latest posts