The detrimental affects of clipping a baby bird (my experience)

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Young birds allowed to fledged as programed biological and developmental milestone is definitely a topic worthy of discussion.

There has been much discussion amongst scientists, behavioral, and parrot experts about the link in not learning to fly as a baby and behavioral problems in adult parrots.

This is an excerpt from Pamela Clark article by guest Chris Shank ( I will link) she ties it into play and security and confidence

" Regrettably, most hand-raised parrots are clipped as fledglings. A clipped youngster may experience a loss of balance and fear of falling which certainly hinders the parrotโ€™s motivation to physically play, which can limit the parrotโ€™s development.

Play behavior apparently promotes the ability to handle unexpected situations and allows versatility of emotional responses to help recover from averse situations. Because clipping fledglings limits their play opportunities, as adults they may have less proficiency in dealing with situations such as changing or stressful environments or handling successfully social interactions.

I am always dismayed when I learn that some breeders clip the wings of their fledglings before the birds take their first flight or soon thereafter. To be transparent, I, too, practiced that when I started breeding cockatoos. That was what was preached back in the day.

I finally did see the light and I let my fledglings fly. With that came displays of the exuberance that is inherently contained in a young cockatoo. The babies would develop their physical skills by energetically flying back and forth in the house as they learned to navigate and land on ropes strung across the ceiling. Play vocalizations such as loud screams echoed throughout the house as the fledglingsโ€™ confidence and skills grew each day.

Ropes were invaluable in advancing their motor skills. Losing their balance on a wobbly rope didnโ€™t dissuade them because all they had to do was open their wings and fly off. Falling wasnโ€™t a concern as it is for clipped parrots. I often wonder if flying birds even have a human concept of falling. To me, falling means loss of control and eventual pain as I hit the dirt. With a flighted bird, there is no loss of control when โ€œfallingโ€ as she just opens her wings to fly.

Itโ€™s obvious to spot adult parrots who were clipped when young and did not have access to robust play exercise using their wings. Generally, as there are exceptions, they turn into perch potatoes with little to no motivation to move around or explore. They show dependency on their human caretakers to move them from place to place. They may be more sensitive in stressful situations and they can be more fearful of changes in their environment. And the list goes on.

I believe allowing parrot fledglings to keep their fully functioning wings is a welfare issue. Young parrots play if they are healthy, well-fed, and safe; but not if they are under stressful conditions or in a stressful mental state which a clipped fledgling may very well experience. "

D

Deleted member 42416

Young birds allowed to fledged as programed biological and developmental milestone is definitely a topic worthy of discussion.

There has been much discussion amongst scientists, behavioral, and parrot experts about the link in not learning to fly as a baby and behavioral problems in adult parrots.

This is an excerpt from Pamela Clark article by guest Chris Shank ( I will link) she ties it into play and security and confidence

" Regrettably, most hand-raised parrots are clipped as fledglings. A clipped youngster may experience a loss of balance and fear of falling which certainly hinders the parrotโ€™s motivation to physically play, which can limit the parrotโ€™s development.

Play behavior apparently promotes the ability to handle unexpected situations and allows versatility of emotional responses to help recover from averse situations. Because clipping fledglings limits their play opportunities, as adults they may have less proficiency in dealing with situations such as changing or stressful environments or handling successfully social interactions.

I am always dismayed when I learn that some breeders clip the wings of their fledglings before the birds take their first flight or soon thereafter. To be transparent, I, too, practiced that when I started breeding cockatoos. That was what was preached back in the day.

I finally did see the light and I let my fledglings fly. With that came displays of the exuberance that is inherently contained in a young cockatoo. The babies would develop their physical skills by energetically flying back and forth in the house as they learned to navigate and land on ropes strung across the ceiling. Play vocalizations such as loud screams echoed throughout the house as the fledglingsโ€™ confidence and skills grew each day.

Ropes were invaluable in advancing their motor skills. Losing their balance on a wobbly rope didnโ€™t dissuade them because all they had to do was open their wings and fly off. Falling wasnโ€™t a concern as it is for clipped parrots. I often wonder if flying birds even have a human concept of falling. To me, falling means loss of control and eventual pain as I hit the dirt. With a flighted bird, there is no loss of control when โ€œfallingโ€ as she just opens her wings to fly.

Itโ€™s obvious to spot adult parrots who were clipped when young and did not have access to robust play exercise using their wings. Generally, as there are exceptions, they turn into perch potatoes with little to no motivation to move around or explore. They show dependency on their human caretakers to move them from place to place. They may be more sensitive in stressful situations and they can be more fearful of changes in their environment. And the list goes on.

I believe allowing parrot fledglings to keep their fully functioning wings is a welfare issue. Young parrots play if they are healthy, well-fed, and safe; but not if they are under stressful conditions or in a stressful mental state which a clipped fledgling may very well experience. "
I agree about not clipping fledglingsโ€ฆI too think itโ€™s a developmental milestone (and this is coming off the grief of losing a fledgling due to a flight related accident).

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
Based on where this thread may go, I should have said in my post I do have a bird I keep clipped! Romeo the 13yo. cockatiel is clipped, when I adopted him he was flighted and I tried to keep it that way but he flew into the wall 2 times and I was afraid he'd kill himself so I clipped his first five primaries, only about half of the feathers. So as much as I don't want to clip, I know it is right in some situations.

paimonandeula

Jan 26, 2022
Indiana
Parrots
I have a gray male budgie named Paimon, a female blue and teal fancy budgie named Eula, and a green budgie named Venti <3
I slightly disagree here. Often some birds need to be clipped because they had multiple severe injuries from flying into stuff. While you shouldn't clip your bird just because they flew into a window once, it can be necessary if they fly into objects a lot and get severely injured from it.
Yes. There are 100% reasons your bird should be clipped for reasons like that. Only if it is necessary though

Most Reactions

Latest posts