The Empty Cage

paddy1998

Oct 28, 2014
For nine years I've eaten dinner every evening with my pal Nino. It wasn't by choice. He insisted. It was the only way I could eat in peace.

Nino could be a demanding fellow, and I would usually indulge him. Except when he might get hurt, such as the time he swiped a Tootsie Roll Pop right out of my hand. Quickly I realized that the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop is more or less chocolate, and we went to war over it. Nino put up quite a fight, but I managed to recover the purloined Pop before he discovered how many licks it takes.

When I stumbled into the house after crashing my motorcycle bleeding a bit from where my forehead met the asphalt, I collapsed into a chair next to Nino's cage. He climbed out, crawled across my desk and up my arm where he began preening my hair near the wound.

So if his demands were within my power they would be met. Nino didn't like me wearing hats, so I stopped wearing hats. He didn't like chili for dinner, so I stopped making chili for dinner.

Nino was neglected for the first decade of his life and cage bound when he came to live with me. I trained him to come out of his cage on command and that was enough.

Last year life changes made it difficult for me to give him the time and attention he needed, so I began looking into rehoming him. Eventually, I chose to make other life changes that would allow me to keep Nino and continue to give him the home he enjoyed.

He came to be my constant companion and best friend. He even liked camping every summer, and we were getting ready for this year's season, stocking up on pistachios and walnuts and making appointments to have his wings and nails clipped.

Sometime yesterday he suffered a very bad break of his wing while inside his cage. I don't know how it happened. The vet said he sees this kind of thing about twice a year. Even with unlimited funds the prospect of a recovery was slim even with a compliant patient, and Nino was not that. Put together with the necessity of a traumatic surgery and difficult if not impossible recovery the decision was a simple though very difficult one.

They brought Nino back into the room to say goodbye. They had toweled him and he was screaming and trying to struggle. He calmed when he saw my face. "It's okay" I said as I stroked his head and cheek, "It'll be okay buddy. I love you" I said, and kissed him on top of his beak. Nino was quiet as they took him out of the room.

The crematorium wasn't busy so they were able to give me his ashes in about two hours, contained in a lovely cherry wood receptacle with Nino's picture on the front.

And so tonight for the first time in nine years, I'm eating dinner alone next to Nino's empty cage.

Attachments

• IMG_20230519_180908518.jpg
    IMG_20230519_180908518.jpg
    235.6 KB · Views: 39
  • Nino.jpg
    Nino.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20190830_110831.jpg
    IMG_20190830_110831.jpg
    366.4 KB · Views: 33
  • FB_IMG_1576794384744.jpg
    FB_IMG_1576794384744.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
For nine years I've eaten dinner every evening with my pal Nino. It wasn't by choice. He insisted. It was the only way I could eat in peace.

Nino could be a demanding fellow, and I would usually indulge him. Except when he might get hurt, such as the time he swiped a Tootsie Roll Pop right out of my hand. Quickly I realized that the center of a Tootsie Roll Pop is more or less chocolate, and we went to war over it. Nino put up quite a fight, but I managed to recover the purloined Pop before he discovered how many licks it takes.

When I stumbled into the house after crashing my motorcycle bleeding a bit from where my forehead met the asphalt, I collapsed into a chair next to Nino's cage. He climbed out, crawled across my desk and up my arm where he began preening my hair near the wound.

So if his demands were within my power they would be met. Nino didn't like me wearing hats, so I stopped wearing hats. He didn't like chili for dinner, so I stopped making chili for dinner.

Nino was neglected for the first decade of his life and cage bound when he came to live with me. I trained him to come out of his cage on command and that was enough.

Last year life changes made it difficult for me to give him the time and attention he needed, so I began looking into rehoming him. Eventually, I chose to make other life changes that would allow me to keep Nino and continue to give him the home he enjoyed.

He came to be my constant companion and best friend. He even liked camping every summer, and we were getting ready for this year's season, stocking up on pistachios and walnuts and making appointments to have his wings and nails clipped.

Sometime yesterday he suffered a very bad break of his wing while inside his cage. I don't know how it happened. The vet said he sees this kind of thing about twice a year. Even with unlimited funds the prospect of a recovery was slim even with a compliant patient, and Nino was not that. Put together with the prospect of a traumatic surgery and difficult if not impossible recovery the decision was simple, though very difficult.

And so tonight for the first time in nine years, I'm eating dinner alone next to Nino's empty cage.
Oh @Paddy007, I’m so dreadfully sorry to hear of the passing of Nino. Truly the sight of that desolate, empty cage is utterly devastating, it is a sight I’ve seen too often myself. Nino led a cherished and blessed life with you, I’m just so sorry it ended the way that it did and far too soon, and as heartbreaking as it was I believe you made the right choice for him – I just wish he had lived his whole life being loved by you rather than just the last nine years. You will carry Nino and every beloved memory you have of him with you until you see him again at the Bridge, where I have faith that we will all be reunited with these precious feathered souls with whom we share our lives, but in the meantime you have my deepest condolences for your loss.

Godspeed to the Rainbow Bridge, sweet Nino, until we all meet again 🙏 🌈

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I am so very sorry to read your tribute to your beloved Nino.

In memory of your dear Nino, I offer for you this Segment (Pray): “Passing of a Feathered Friend,”

As this Thread may likely exist far beyond my involvement with Parrot Forum, I believe that like the leading Segment of this Thread, a lasting testimony (Pray) to the Amazons that have shared my home, expanded our Love, and Understanding of Amazons should be part of this work.
It is not an issue of not wanting to visit and more importantly providing words of support as part of the Bereavement Forum, but my own difficultly in fully facing our many losses over the years. It is a reality of what we have committed ourselves too and each loss returns us to that clarity. When one opens their home to the very sick and very poorly cared for Parrots, losses are part of the commitment. I ask not forgiveness, but understanding of not soon enough in sharing your grief. For you who has recently loss a Loving Feather Family Member, I offer you this Pray “Passing of a Feathered Friend,” that we provide our Loved Ones!
May Peace find and stand with you as part of your loss my dear friend…

"Passing of a Feathered Friend"
Provided By: Steven (SailBoat), November 2016

“All of us feel such deep sadness when our Parrot friend dies, and because they are Animals and not Humans, we are at a loss for words. Often, it is only other Parrot owners who can understand the depth of the loss that we feel with this complex, loyal, and loving creature. Resulting from such a personal loss, I have placed feelings and emotions into words and found verse to console the loss of my Cleo and since her, other sweet Amazons, in turn; I hope it will speak for you and your loss.” - Steven

Too my dearly departed sweetheart:
"You left this world so quickly. I can hardly comprehend your leaving. Yet there, in my hands, your still body rested — no longer your home. So much I have learned, so much you have taught, your purpose a full measure beyond your size. Comprehensions of your loss still a mist, but yet, I know you are whole and happy - now beyond Rainbow Bridge. And so busy you must be upon your green wings, guiding angles to those of us yet to cross. Within my ear, I still hear you, those special sweet sounds of comfort and contentment."

Your comforting words for me:
“Do not stand by my grave and weep, my friend.
I am not here. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glint on snow.
I am the gentle summer rain.
When you wake in the morning hush, I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circling flight.
I am the soft starlight at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry my dearest friend.
I am not there. I did not die.”

My pray for you my beloved feathered friend:
“May your body nourish this earth.
May your soul find release and contentment.
May you fly high and free upon wings of spirit.
Rest in peace little green one.”

The love and tender warmth of you is a un-full-fill-able void.
I do so much thank-you for creating a space for another, a special place next to yours’.
In remembrance of Cleo, (Estimated) Spring 1959 - May 2003

Parrot’s Have More Love and I miss you so deeply!

Sources: Cheyenne Warrior Blessing, The Amazona Society’s Forum, Steven (SailBoat)

Last edited: May 22, 2023

Last edited:

widor

Aug 23, 2021
Media
Hungary
Parrots
2 Green Check Conures,2 linolated parakeets- RIP, 2 kakariki

Sometime yesterday he suffered a very bad break of his wing while inside his cage. I don't know how it happened. The vet said he sees this kind of thing about twice a year. Even with unlimited funds the prospect of a recovery was slim even with a compliant patient, and Nino was not that. Put together with the necessity of a traumatic surgery and difficult if not impossible recovery the decision was a simple though very difficult one.

They brought Nino back into the room to say goodbye. They had toweled him and he was screaming and trying to struggle. He calmed when he saw my face. "It's okay" I said as I stroked his head and cheek, "It'll be okay buddy. I love you" I said, and kissed him on top of his beak. Nino was quiet as they took him out of the room.

The crematorium wasn't busy so they were able to give me his ashes in about two hours, contained in a lovely cherry wood receptacle with Nino's picture on the front.

So sorry, he left knowing he was loved...I hope the pain will ease but I know it will never go away...😢

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Belated condolences to you on Nino's passing. I don't like reading these types of threads on here, its so painful since I and most of the parronts on here have lost a treasured friend.

You should know that I make a twice yearly donation to the Cornell University Vet program, directed to be used exclusively for parrot related studies and programs, in the name of Parrot Forums and I list each and every one of our feather babies on here who have crossed the rainbow bridge in the period. Rest assure that Nino's name will be in the next donation.

Most Reactions

Latest posts