The Fustrations of Owning a Cockatiel

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
For the past few weeks, he hasn't been listening at all (which, I know is a trademark with birds, but he usually listens), and I've been fustrated. He keeps flying on my sheets specifically just to poop on them. He knows not to do this and not to go on my bed, but he's been doing it for the past week every single day. I'll put a towel on my bed to prevent him, and he will purposely dodge the towel and poop on my sheets. I wouldn't mind him on my curtains if it wasn't for the fact that he is eating the material.

I've looked up ways to try and "correct" the behavior, but it doesnt work with him at all. He doesn't respond to positive reinforcement, he doesn't like clicker training, he hates foraging, and I don't even know what to give him because he doesnt like seeds and only likes corn. I tried to clicker training with corn, but he just runs away and gets all upset for the rest of the day.

I'm not rehoming him or anything, I've just been so fustrated for the past few weeks with him that I've been putting him in his cage more often than usual because it's been somewhat difficult for me to handle him, and it makes me super sad. I also get the feeling it isn't his fault and that it's because he's coming to that age since he is almost 10 months.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
For the past few weeks, he hasn't been listening at all (which, I know is a trademark with birds, but he usually listens), and I've been fustrated. He keeps flying on my sheets specifically just to poop on them. He knows not to do this and not to go on my bed, but he's been doing it for the past week every single day. I'll put a towel on my bed to prevent him, and he will purposely dodge the towel and poop on my sheets. I wouldn't mind him on my curtains if it wasn't for the fact that he is eating the material.

I've looked up ways to try and "correct" the behavior, but it doesnt work with him at all. He doesn't like clicker training, he hates foraging, and I don't even know what to give him because he doesnt like seeds and only likes corn. I tried to clicker training with corn, but he just runs away and gets all upset for the rest of the day.

I'm not rehoming him or anything, I've just been so fustrated for the past few weeks with him that I've been putting him in his cage more often than usual because it's been somewhat difficult for me to handle him, and it makes me super sad. I also get the feeling it isn't his fault and that it's because he's coming to that age since he is almost 10 months.
Ahhh guess what?
The joys of spring huh? 🤣
Don't worry, were all going through this! You're not alone at all!

OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Ahhh guess what?
The joys of spring huh? 🤣
Don't worry, were all going through this! You're not alone at all!
Is it just because of spring? I thought he was coming of age since he's 10 months. Thank god I'm not alone since I don't really see anyone talk about this when I researched. I have a budgie too, and he doesn't act the way my cockatiel does, so I didn't know that's what spring would do to him.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots

I've looked up ways to try and "correct" the behavior, but it doesnt work with him at all. He doesn't respond to positive reinforcement, he doesn't like clicker training, he hates foraging, and I don't even know what to give him because he doesnt like seeds and only likes corn. I tried to clicker training with corn, but he just runs away and gets all upset for the rest of the day.

Just continue doing the best you can with all you're doing, but hormone season is really a nuisance for a ton of bird owners. It makes birds rebellious and teenage like (don't worry cuz I'm a teen too so I know how it feels) and yeah. Try to just let him do what he pleases and you'll see that he will start to crave some of your attention along the way.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Is it just because of spring? I thought he was coming of age since he's 10 months. Thank god I'm not alone since I don't really see anyone talk about this when I researched. I have a budgie too, and he doesn't act the way my cockatiel does, so I didn't know that's what spring would do to him.
Yeah I know because it affects different birds in different ways, some being more stubborn than others.

OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Yeah I know because it affects different birds in different ways, some being more stubborn than others.
This is so helpful. I didn't know that spring would do that to a younger cockatiel who hasn't been getting to that phase yet. Thank you! Honestly, the sheet thing doesnt upset me too bad, but I do get upset when my parents scold me about having to wash the sheets every day...

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Hi,
Birds just poop a lot.
Cockatiels in the wild a lot of time foraging on the ground. Likely sees the bed as a nice uncluttered space to walk around.

Buy a cheap fabric shower curtain, not a plastic one, to cover the bed when he is out.

Otherwise provide him with his "furniture ", perch areas with treats and chew stuff he can hang out on. And reward him when he is on his perches. Attach perches on the outside and top of his cage making it an instant play gym. This has worked wonders for mine, and they almost exclusively use their places.

Some ideas for you

OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hi,
Birds just poop a lot.
Cockatiels in the wild a lot of time foraging on the ground. Likely sees the bed as a nice uncluttered space to walk around.

Buy a cheap fabric shower curtain, not a plastic one, to cover the bed when he is out.

Otherwise provide him with his "furniture ", perch areas with treats and chew stuff he can hang out on. And reward him when he is on his perches. Attach perches on the outside and top of his cage making it an instant play gym. This has worked wonders for mine, and they almost exclusively use their places.

Some ideas for you
/
Thanks for the reply. The pooping doesn't bother me at all, and I don't mind him pooping. It's the fact that he goes on my bed to poop. I put towels down, but he avoids them and goes out of his way to poop on my sheets. I have a playground for them to perch upon, with a large grapewood perch tree, but I'll try putting a perch on the outside of his cage to see if that does anything. I wish I could have a ceiling perch, but my parents won't allow it. I also made uncluttered areas and occassionally throw toys and treats on my floor to them forage upon. I also have foraging boxes that only my budgie frequents and never my cockatiel. He's unique in that aspect.

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
The towels catch their toe nails, could be why avoids
Change your methods change your results

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I taught Willow to poop on paper and now I have to be very careful with important forms.

OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
I taught Willow to poop on paper and now I have to be very careful with important forms.
That's why I'm fustrated slightly because he is "potty trained", and I'm 100% sure he's doing it to spite me. Because he has so many other areas to poop in, and he poops on command, but he will still poop on my sheets.

OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
The towels catch their toe nails, could be why avoids
Change your methods change your results
He loves the towels I have. He's always stepping on them and biting them when he sees them. Even when I go to the bathroom to do my morning and night routines, he always flies to the towels to perch on them. Whenever he poops on my sheets, he just stares at me. I'm 100% certain he does it for a reaction or to spite me.

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
Where is his cage? Can you shut the door to your bedroom? If my bird was doing that, I'd find a way to punish him. Like, put him back into his cage and not let him out.

Dave

BirdyBee

Jan 7, 2022
Media
Albums
South Africa
Parrots
Current birds:
John
Snowy
Pippen

Past birds:
Grumpy
Sunny
Griffen
Jeff
Gertjie
If my bird was doing that, I'd find a way to punish him. Like, put him back into his cage and not let him out.
The bird will then learn that when he want to go to his cage, he should just poop all over the place.

This is a really though situation.. I'd say pretend he can't poop on the towels/cloth/whatever you use, and he might eventually decide that it makes you more upset if he poops on the towels than the bed..

I'm sorry that your bird is misbehaving himself, I hope it gets better!

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
I think I would just ignore the pooping. My guess is that your reaction is somehow rewarding for your cockatiel. Maybe he LIKES extra noise and drama.

Anyhow, he wouldn’t be doing what he is doing if it didn’t give him some benefit. I wonder if excitement is his benefit. It’s upsetting to YOU but he has a little tiny brain and who knows how he is thinking about it?

HeatherG

Apr 25, 2020
Hello Hyun-Ae,
How is the “mad pooper”? And your other birds? Now that early spring is over, are things any better?

OP
H

Hyun-Ae

Oct 25, 2021
Parrots
Cockatiel
Hello Hyun-Ae,
How is the “mad pooper”? And your other birds? Now that early spring is over, are things any better?
Hi! Thanks for the follow-up. He hasn't improved at all, and now my young budgie follows his bad habits. He whines (not chirp) a lot, and I do not understand why; I change his toys often, give him all the attention when he comes to me, and give him 13-14 hours of sleep a night. He free roams 24/7 except for 3 days a week when I go to work as I cannot trust him to be out of his cage. I've tried to ignore everything, but it doesn't matter since he still acts out, so I unfortunately put him in the cage when he gets to be too much for me.
I think it's just because he is getting to that age; he is 10 months old. I hope this phase passes soon.

JimsBrother

Supporting Member
Mar 3, 2022
Parrots
Uncle to Bebee
and Amy
I think it's just because he is getting to that age; he is 10 months old. I hope this phase passes soon.
Is it like a terrible-two's tantrum? My son did that only once and his mom and I just laughed. He stopped.

Most Reactions

Latest posts