The Last Step: Confirmed Behavior Locked Plucking

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Although, I strongly believe in never giving-up on finding a method of halting Plucking, there comes a point, that acceptance becomes important for everyone! The harsh reality of stating; My Parrot is a Plucker! Remains very difficult for everyone that is owned by such a Parrot!

I have long believed that with Amazons that once one finds the source of the 'need' to pluck that Amazons would Stop! This based on our halting plucking in a very specific group of Amazons, classified as: Older, commonly very ill, commonly abused Amazons normally in the last days, months or with luck years of life. This highly specific group had been considered little more than yesterdays trash from the full range of past owners, pet stores and even Vets. With this very specific group, the applications of tons of love, mixed with the confusion of extensive medical care that tends to be contrary to developing a Trust Bond had brought about a stabilizations in their health status and very commonly a halt in their plucking.

Then Julio came into our World. A middle-aged, Strong, Healthy, live long Flyer that had lost both of his older Owners. The adult kids that had promised mom and dad that they would care for Julio and one of them would provide a forever home! As they where busy dividing up the things of value, it can to what to do with Julio! They had heard that a non-flighted Parrot could be sold faster. So off the "Pet (not so) Smart" for a cheap Wing clipping by a store clerk. First time out the the transport carrier Julio attempted to fly and fell to the floor harder than a dropped rock. That broke a number of tail feathers off and opened his rump. Off to the local Vet for surgery. They paid-cash for the surgery and left Julio in the waiting area! Long Story short, we received a call from our Avian Vet who we have a long history with and knew of our recent loss that a special Amazon was in need of a home. Likely needed several more surgeries to repair his rump, etc... That is how Julio came into our lives.

As we found out, medical based plucking is very hard to halt, especially if there are multiple surgeries involved. Much longer story short: Now Seven years later, we have a Fully Flighted, Very Strong and Very Smart, DYH Amazon that flies with great easy. The combination of his strong physical self and the support of a Certified Avian Vet (CAV) we started on a very different road with Julio as the likelihood of the now fully in place behavior level plucking was not likely to stop.

Why change direction: The Avian Medical Industry understands that the greatest concern of Plucking Parrots is the vastly increased likelihood of death by infections of open wounds that weakens the Parrot and opens the Parrot to other serious illness and open to a far too early death. Committed to Julio's long life, we pushed our CAV to look at ways of vasty reducing the issue of open wounds and elected to target the pin-point sharpest of the Amazon common three Sharp points, Bill Structure. Two on the lower beak and one on the upper super sharp, super strong Bill.

Based on that direction, we are now 18-months later having success with is the 'very slight'ly rounding of all three points!! The results is a vast decrease in open wounds and their resulting sight infections.

We still have a tail-less Amazon that is a strong flier and is healthy!

NOTE: The tiny amount removed monthly from the three points is a MUST! And, MUST be done by Avian Professional that will commit to only removing that tiny amount!! Over-trimming a Bill Structure can become dangerous!!

It is not a cure or a solution for plucking! But it is a successful solution to vastly reducing infections!

Last edited:

Cottonoid

Supporting Member
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Feb 20, 2022
Thank you for sharing this! I'm still in the nebulous stages of not knowing how my intended adoptee will react once home, but we were told he was flighted until last year so I feel like there are still many paths his plucking journey could take.

I'm definitely wishing I knew CAV in my area as well as I knew small mammal vets - it's disorienting being on the "outside" of the profession but it's also a bit exhilarating that this will be a new journey for both of us.

Ria.345

Banned
Banned
Jun 23, 2021
New York City
Parrots
Sun Conure and Umbrella Cockatoo
Bless your heart for helping Julio and doing all you can!
I feel like this is the sort of will and determination that a bird needs in their owners because of course they want to live long lives too! Just like us!
And it’s great that Julio got just that!
This post will also make others more aware of the information out there and know the possibilities for reducing the effects that plucking brings. But also good that there was a warning for preventing any accidents.

OP
SailBoat

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Bravo my friend for the tenacity and will to help Julio!

Thank you, my good friend!
Julio has been far from the most demanding from either an emotional or medical standpoint, nor the most expensive regarding time or money, from sitting at the backdoor of our Avian Vet's office as their care staff arrived in the early-morning hours or the expensive of extensive medications. But he has been the most perplexing as the knowledge regarding Plucking is so very limited industry wide. Add the fear of trying a different or new approaches as not one wants to have to say; I told you that it would not work!
The loss of our CAV last Summer and our success in getting a general Vet to hear-us and try has been a challenge in itself. But, today we visited our general Vet and Julio celebrated twelve months without an infection!
As with the General Process with Developing Trust, it is always about putting the time in and being willing to celebrate the small victories that brings such moments as today!
Again, Thank you, my good friend!

OP
SailBoat

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thank you for sharing this! I'm still in the nebulous stages of not knowing how my intended adoptee will react once home, but we were told he was flighted until last year so I feel like there are still many paths his plucking journey could take.

I'm definitely wishing I knew CAV in my area as well as I knew small mammal vets - it's disorienting being on the "outside" of the profession but it's also a bit exhilarating that this will be a new journey for both of us.

Remember that there are others with even less support! But, you have a group that has worked this path and are still walking it! 95% of this is working at the pace of your Parrot and loving them deeply enough to let them be the best they can be!

OP
SailBoat

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Bless your heart for helping Julio and doing all you can!
I feel like this is the sort of will and determination that a bird needs in their owners because of course they want to live long lives too! Just like us!
And it’s great that Julio got just that!
This post will also make others more aware of the information out there and know the possibilities for reducing the effects that plucking brings. But also good that there was a warning for preventing any accidents.

Thank you!
You are so very correct, the win is in the Parrot coming to understand that they are Love unconditionally!

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Feather follicles ..don't like incisions. I've seen them go back and remove the ones in or near ...depending on risk /rewards. As well as those mood altering meds used to see them through those large tail feathers coming in.
Thst helped the self mutilating nanday I fostered get those primary and tail feathers in. Then he left those alone, tho continued plucking all small feathers after he was taken off the meds. But didn't mutilate anymore.

Congratulations on being infection free! What a relief!

Do we get pictures?

OP
SailBoat

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Feather follicles ..don't like incisions. I've seen them go back and remove the ones in or near ...depending on risk /rewards. As well as those mood altering meds used to see them through those large tail feathers coming in.
Thst helped the self mutilating nanday I fostered get those primary and tail feathers in. Then he left those alone, tho continued plucking all small feathers after he was taken off the meds. But didn't mutilate anymore.

Congratulations on being infection free! What a relief!

Do we get pictures?

So very correct!
The down fall of the Meds is that they continue to require ever more to to obtain the same results.

Most Reactions

Latest posts