The Mess

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
So I finally decided to buy a bunch of fresh ingredients last night and today I mixed them all up as an excuse not to study for my advanced accounting final...

The ingredients are black eyed beans, lentils, red beans, quinoa, flaxseed, walnuts, butternut squash, zucchini, green bell pepper, red chili pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, carrots, and beets (green and root which is why it is so purple...).

Our extremely picky bare eyed cockatoo gave it a try and actually ate some! I was very surprised usually we can't convince her she wants to try anything new. My cockatiels and sun also tried some though my green cheeks were being annoying and wouldn't try any...usually they are my pigs. I will have to try them again tomorrow.

Just though I'd share in case anyone else wanted to give it a try!

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
My guys would love that! Thanks for sharing, I am going to try that mixture.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
That looks terrific riddick - I'd add a few fruits as well as a balanced meal lol - I make something similar. The ice cube trays are a good idea and a good way to measure, but I dont' have room in my freezer for them so what I do is I put my mixture into plastic ziipper bags and flatten out and put them in the freezer that way - I can fit more in that way and if thin I can break off easily for portion size.

MomtoPercy

Nov 15, 2013
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Percy, a 5yo BFA & Jack, a 8yo Budgie
That looks fab! And so convenient! I wish my divabird would eat chop. He wants large veg chunks ;)

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
I didn't think of the plastic bags! Though our freezer is kind of skinny and has a lot of stuff in it so it probably wouldn't flatten well. The outdoor freezer is filled with frozen rats for the snakes so not a lot of room left there either. I just dumped the ice cubes into the shot glass bin in the freezer which is technically the ice cube bin to make room...

I hope your birds like it too! I was so surprised when Ivory started eating it. She was on such a horrible diet before we got her and we have a lot of trouble getting her to eat anything at all. So when she started eating this we were all like don't look at her, she will stop if we look at her and were taking covert glances at her to see if she was still eating the whole time lol.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
I cooked the quinoa, beans, butternut squash, and walnuts. We also blanched the broccoli and cauliflower. We have a food processor so it is easy to cut up into small pieces. I actually liked the color too my green cheeks looked at it like I was trying to poison them though. I wore gloves to mix up everything didn't need purple hands for the rest of the week!

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
Yes, it looks delicious. I ate my bird chop, I used it for pasta sauce. It was really good.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Strudel, I had to have eaten a cup of the black eyed beans, lentils, and red beans....I couldn't stop eating them and I don't even like beans that much... I also kept munching on the beet greens...lol

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
I used an italian bean mix, it had canellini beans and lentils and split peas and stuff. It was really nice. I also put kale in it. I made such a huge amount that I've still got heaps in the freezer, but I'm looking forward to when it's run out so we can all try the next batch. I'll take some tips from what you've used.

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Well it looks like it's not just our parrots that are benefiting from an improved diet since we are eating what we are making them lol

A word about beans (I know I've mentioned it before) but they must be cooked - I only learned the other day that raw uncooked beans can be harmful to parrots.

Pamperedpeeps Aviary-  Parrot mash

Beans are excellent also for providing proteins and carbohydrates, but I always cook them. Certain UNCOOKED beans contain enzymes which inhibit protein assimilation. Thus, they are called "proteolytic enzyme inhibitors." When a parrot eats these inhibitors, their body loses its ability to use certain substances (trypsin and chymotrypsin) and a nutritional deficiency is the result.

Lima beans, Kidney beans and Soybeans are all proteolytic enzyme inhibitors. But, when cooked, the enzyme inhibitors is destroyed. Because in the midst of making mash, I don’t tend to remember which bean needs to be cooked and which are fine to feed raw, I just am sure to cook them all. Some dried beans do not appear to contain these enzyme inhibitors, or if present, are in low concentrations. Don't ever feed your parrot uncooked beans, and I would stay completely away from fava beans."

Farnoosh

Aug 7, 2020
Vancouver, BC
Parrots
Paisley, pineapple green cheek born February 12, 2021, and
Daisy the most beautiful Pineapple green cheek, currently flying in paradise RIP February 2, 2020 – August 14, 2021
So I finally decided to buy a bunch of fresh ingredients last night and today I mixed them all up as an excuse not to study for my advanced accounting final...

The ingredients are black eyed beans, lentils, red beans, quinoa, flaxseed, walnuts, butternut squash, zucchini, green bell pepper, red chili pepper, broccoli, cauliflower, bok choy, carrots, and beets (green and root which is why it is so purple...).

Our extremely picky bare eyed cockatoo gave it a try and actually ate some! I was very surprised usually we can't convince her she wants to try anything new. My cockatiels and sun also tried some though my green cheeks were being annoying and wouldn't try any...usually they are my pigs. I will have to try them again tomorrow.

Just though I'd share in case anyone else wanted to give it a try!
Wow! Lucky bird! I wish I was your parrot LOL

Most Reactions