The parrot formerly known as Buddy: An update, with pictures

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
Given that she's most likely a girl, her human wants to change her name. She's never really liked her name anyway. I'm voting for Betty, since it sounds so close to Buddy, and even nearly identical if you say it just right, plus she's super sassy, like Betty White, so it fits. Of course, I don't actually get a deciding vote, so we shall see what her human comes up with and then I will work on transitioning a name when it's decided.

Now for the real update. She's settling in quite nicely. She is, of course, still a bit skittish. I still have to use a folded up towel on top of my hand for her to step up on* to get her out of her cage, but once she's out, she'll step onto my hand without a problem, though she prefers to scoot up to my elbow. We're working on that.

*Like this, if you're having trouble imagining it.
ujXsT7A.jpg

She came to me with a pretty tiny cage. Her human was in a less than ideal housing situation and was doing the best she could, but that meant a less than ideal cage for her bird. I helped her acquire and refurbish a used cage, plus went through my spare toy and perch collection, and hit up the clearance bin at my local bird store (because any excuse to go shopping is a good excuse), and have gotten her moved into a more appropriately sized cage. I still have some things to do.The droppings tray had some really bad rust, so that had to be painted, and it's still drying/airing out, so there's newspaper on the bottom of the cage until the try can be brought in. Also I'm trying to track down replacement bowls for the tray that's part of the actual cage, which is something I've never seen before, so I'm having to make do with bowls that attach to the side. I'll post a picture of the tray (which I still haven't cleaned and de-rusted) at the end of the post, to see if you guys have any ideas on what brand the cage might be and where I might be able to find replacement bowls. Anyway, she's adjusting exactly how one might expect a parrot to adjust to a new home. She's a little tentative, but not frightened, and is slowly starting to explore the cage. This is good.

She's also beginning to explore FOOD. She hasn't even touched her seed bowl since early yesterday morning. Her favorite foods at this point seem to be anything she can convince me to feed her directly from my plate. We had ravioli with chicken and broccoli last night and she even took a little pasta and broccoli off MrC's fork and she is very frightened of men in general, so this is progress from even yesterday.

And now for some pictures!

What's that pink box you're holding (my phone is in a pink case)? Does it taste good?

3ESxTD6.jpg

Broccoli from Auntie Maggie's dinner plate! Score!

qFg8AMA.jpg

Why are you taking pictures? Can't you see I'm eating breakfast here?

vzTj5m2.jpg

And this was moments after we put her in the new-to-her cage for the first time. She was a bit weirded out and stayed in that spot for about a half hour before she started to explore.

5zcpHJg.jpg

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Happy that 'Betty' is fitting in so well! Clearly, my vote is for Betty.

No surprise, the cage is of an older design. I have not seen the climbing bar spacing on the cage side panels for like 20+ years. Also, the thickness of the bars from the same period. The full height doors became more common a bit earlier and remain to this day. The heavy spray pattering (heavy orange peal style) on the cage can also be dated to a like time period.

Who built the cage is a tough one as its been a longtime since manufacturers' name plated their cages. It is possible that on the flat metal work, there maybe a stamped name near a corner or dead center of the panel (commonly the seed catch tray(s)).

Assembly of the cage, the side sections, are they bolted or welded solid? Its been 30+ years since they welded cages side sections together. To reduce shipping costs and warehousing space, bolting them together became standard.

I would be very surprised if the original manufacturer is still in business as the World production of cages, 'built in volume,' is down to only three, all China based.

Last edited:
OP
B

BeatriceC

Feb 9, 2016
San Diego, CA
Parrots
Goofy (YNA), Oscar (Goffin 'too). Foster bird Betty (RLA). RIP Cookie, 1991-2016 ('tiel), Leo (Sengal), Charlotte (scarlet macaw). Grand-birds: Liam (budgie), Donovan (lovebird), RIP Angelo (budgie)
The side sections are welded solid. It's a very sturdy cage. I realize I forgot to post pictures of the food and water bowl system.

So there's this piece here. The thick frame screws onto the main cage frame, and the thin inner frame slides in and out, through the door in the second picture (and forgive me, as I haven't bothered to clean this piece yet, as I've been more concerned with pieces that are actually going to be in use for now.)

qDUV1iC.jpg

urplLgI.jpg

ETA: I'm beginning to think if I really want bowls to go into the feeding system that was designed for the cage, I'm going to have to get with a metal worker's shop and have some custom made for it. I'm not sure either Betty's human nor I want to spend that kind of money.

Last edited:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Well hello Betty! You are making exceptional progress with her! Even though the changes are all positive, she must be wondering what is happening??

Replacement bowls may be a challenge. I've had reasonable luck at Magnolia Bird Farm, though it may not be worth the trek to Riverside or Santa Ana. The screw-on blue bowl pictured is a good compromise.

You are truly the Bird Whisperer!!

PrimorandMoxi

May 29, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Max (23yo) Blue and Gold Macaw,
&
PRIMOR (8yo) Red Lored Amazon,
&
ABBA (33yo) Red Lored Amazon - RIP
she is gorgeous. She has a ton of red, even into her primrose cheeks.

I have two RLA.
they are both super affectionate.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I cast my vote for Betty too!

A good friend of mine had a RLA..Jake. Jake passed away a couple years ago at 32..he was the sweetest little guy so very friendly.

You're doing awesome with Betty!

Jim

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Oh, oh, oh! Betty is beautiful (I’m assuming she’s now Betty!) I love her coloring. What progress you have made!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
The red on Bettys' face is truly stunning! She is beautiful!!

Jim

Most Reactions