The Parrot Wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
I've seen a few scattered random comments in threads in this section that make it clear that the Parrot Wizard dude is not well liked on this site.

The reason it caught my eye is that my son likes to watch his videos on YouTube and I recognized the name. I've watched a few of his trick videos, but have no knowledge about his training methods.

So, what's the deal? Why don't we like him? Spill it!

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
I used to watch his youtube videos and really learned alot. I looked up to him as a new owner I wanted to do right by my baby bird. When I commented on one of his videos, he commented back. He ridiculed me for having my birds wings clipped. Made me feel like a terrible person torturing my bird. I listened, and let Pumpkins wings grow out, but I wont be joining his forum or watching his videos. The people on THIS site know how to give advice without being cruel. Thats my reason I am curious to hear other's.

savannah78754

Banned
Banned
Oct 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
I have 1 lovebird, but plan to get many many more in the future when I have more time(:
... Well I mean it's scientifically proven that a bird with clipped wings can have depression, anxiety, behavioral issues, low self esteem, and it's just plain unnatural. These aren't domesticated animals, we as humans force them into this pet trade when they belong in the wild. The least we can do is let them fly. I think it's selfish of an owner to clip it's birds wings for the sake of "making it easier". Don't you like it better that Pumpkin has a CHOICE to be with you and she's not forced to? Plus it's much safer for the bird to be flighted as well. He has a good point and I personally like him. I've been working with birds for 12 years and currently am part of a parrot rescue. I have done my homework and I, PERSONALLY, think that clipping wings is wrong and you should let your bird, WITH WINGS fly like it should be doing in the wild. It's the least you can do really in my opinion.

Not trying to bash anyone on here, I realise my tone is not translated well over the internet. There are some situations where clipping is needed but those are few and far between.. Please do your research with several reputable sites and avian vets and decide what is best for your bird and you!:)

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots
--PUMPKIN - male YS GCC. Hatched Halloween Day 2014. Came home Jan. 4, 2015. Started talking in July '15!

-BUTTERNUT- female TYS GCC Hatched in late Jan. 2016 and came home March 14, 2016
Yes I prefer him flighted, but I had never had a bird of any kind before and I was scared. I do not regret having my breeder clip his wings. It gave me a few months to adjust to a pet I had never had before. He could still fly just not upward. He still followed me around. And now I feel like I need to defend myself again..... I would not change the way I did things.

Edit: You didnt even answer the original post, did you just comment to give me a hard time?

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Safer for whom? If you have a behaviorally challenged bird, clipping his wings in order to facilitate rehabilitation is necessary to prevent it from flying around attacking people (casts a wary eye at some sketchy looking Amazon).

savannah78754

Banned
Banned
Oct 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
I have 1 lovebird, but plan to get many many more in the future when I have more time(:
Yes I prefer him flighted, but I had never had a bird of any kind before and I was scared. I do not regret having my breeder clip his wings. It gave me a few months to adjust to a pet I had never had before. He could still fly just not upward. He still followed me around. And now I feel like I need to defend myself again..... I would not change the way I did things.

Edit: You didnt even answer the original post, did you just comment to give me a hard time?

( NOTHING I SAY IN ANY OF MY POSTS IS TO BRING ANYONE DOWN OR TO BE CONDESCENDING, RUDE, MEAN, ANNOYING, OR ANYTHIN OF THE SORT I AM NOT BASHING ANYONE ON HERE AND I KNOW THAT PEOPLE DO THINGS FOR A REASON AND NO MATTER WHAT IF THEY THINK IT"S BEST FOR THEIR BIRD LET THEM DO IT )

I did answer the post... I said "He has a good point and I personally like him."

Even though I deliberately said " I am not trying to be rude or bash you, my language and tone is just not carried well over the internet" you still seem to think I am hating on you. Never in my life would I say " YOU CLIP YOUR BIRDS WINGS! YOU'RE A MONSTER! YOUR'RE A TERRIBLE OWNER " because that's not true and everyone has their reasons. I PERSONALLY believe clipping wings is wrong ( But not that the owner is a bad owner or that they're doing something wrong, I just don't personally like it because they have wings for a reason ), and pointed out that it probably feels awesome that Pumpkin gets to choose to be with you rather than not having the ability to fly, and being forced to be with you regardless.

savannah78754

Banned
Banned
Oct 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
Safer for whom? If you have a behaviorally challenged bird, clipping his wings in order to facilitate rehabilitation is necessary to prevent it from flying around attacking people (casts a wary eye at some sketchy looking Amazon).

I said in the post " There are some situations where clipping is needed "

I work at a parrot rescue, I know both sides of the argument, and we have several birds with us that are clipped because of various reasons, but for the typical owner is it not necessary. I never said either that you should always clip your birds. There are lots of reasons that a behavioral or physically challenged bird needs clipping. I understand that. Please read my whole post and don't think I am being rude here.

OP
DexMom

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
My Dexter's wings are clipped for his safety. My house has many large, floor-to-ceiling windows that are impossible to cover (nor would I want to). No matter how many tours we did, stopping at each window and tapping on the glass, putting temporary decals as high as I could reach, etc, he kept flying into the windows. Hard. Over and over. He needed to be partially clipped to ensure he didn't continue to hurt himself. He is still somewhat flighted, just can't get up the speed and lift to bash himself any more. As his wing feathers regenerate, if he starts hitting the windows again, I will again have him lightly clipped. Not that this has anything to do with my original question.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.....

Parrot Wizard - Go!

savannah78754

Banned
Banned
Oct 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
My Dexter's wings are clipped for his safety. My house has many large, floor-to-ceiling windows that are impossible to cover (nor would I want to). No matter how many tours we did, stopping at each window and tapping on the glass, putting temporary decals as high as I could reach, etc, he kept flying into the windows. Hard. Over and over. He needed to be partially clipped to ensure he didn't continue to hurt himself. He is still somewhat flighted, just can't get up the speed and lift to bash himself any more. As his wing feathers regenerate, if he starts hitting the windows again, I will again have him lightly clipped. Not that this has anything to do with my original question.

Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming.....

Parrot Wizard - Go!

I agree and that is a time when it would be needed to clip, and you're on the right side to do so because of his own safety.

I personally really like him and he seems to treat his birds well given how much they trust him and how trained they are. He sells thing for too much money though, but I think he is good from what I've seen

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

Honestly I think your son could learn A LOT from those you tube videos. He is knowledgeable and informative. Just keep in mind there are (obviously) differences of opinion on a lot of issues. :)

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
I will make it known now, that if this thread is turned into "yet another" wing clipping argument thread it will be closed or removed.

The original thread topic also has 'potential' to become nothing but a negative hate thread over an individual, which we can't let this turn into either. Regardless of whether you are for or against this person, please keep your replies diplomatic and civil, as of now this thread will be monitored closely.

OP
DexMom

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
Thank you for sharing your opinion. My son is interested in doing some training with Dexter and if this trainer had questionable methods, I would try to direct him elsewhere. I've been putzing around this section of the forum and have found some good links, so I may just steer him toward those anyway, since I trust the posters here.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

Sorry Julie. :)

OP
DexMom

DexMom

Jul 18, 2015
New Jersey
Parrots
Dexter, SI Eclectus
Sorry, I wasn't trying to get people stirred up. I am genuinely interested in whether this is someone I should steer my son away from for a legitimate reason.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
It's okay guys! Just seeing the potential here is all... and had to say something. It's unfortunately happened MANY times before where 'hot topic' threads open to strong opinion can become arguments before you know it!

savannah78754

Banned
Banned
Oct 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
I will make it known now, that if this thread is turned into "yet another" wing clipping argument thread it will be closed or removed.

The original thread topic also has 'potential' to become nothing but a negative hate thread over an individual, which we can't let this turn into either. Regardless of whether you are for or against this person, please keep your replies diplomatic and civil, as of now this thread will be monitored closely.

Does nobody read my posts in full? At all? Ever? all 3 of you seem to have read 2 sentences in and then quit and called me out for being aggressive or saying something I clearly never said. This forum in general seems to be like this.

I have to put in every single post I make how i am not trying to attack anyone on here or be rude, yet you always still think that that's what I am doing. I literally put it in caps that second post and you still thought I was set out to call you a bad owner.. I didn't because there's no such thing, just an uneducated one, and even so they can still have their own opinions and I'm not saying "My way is always right"

I hate to act like this right now but I have been here only week and have not felt welcome once yet.

I a not trying to get in an argument about wing clipping that was never my intention and I wasn't calling anyone out, and certainly wasn't yelling at Ann333. Anyone on here is an amazing owner for wanting to ask questions about their pets and wanting to share them with the world.

Ann333

Jan 8, 2015
New Mexico
Parrots

I did read your post.... several times.... It offended me and honestly hurt my feelings. But that's okay ...You don't know me.

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts

Ann, I'm very sorry your feelings were hurt. You have no reason to regret your decision to clip. Your opinion is your own and just as valid as anyone else's.

The Parrot Wizard has been discussed again and again on this forum, here is a link to a recent conversation.
http://www.parrotforums.com/questions-answers/47739-birdtricks-com-one-day-miricles.html

I hope the link will provide answers for the OP and other interested parties. I am now closing this thread.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts